Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 9, 2008, 4:26 AM   #1

The Possible True manufacturers list Thread

An attempt to catalogue the true manufacturers of different hybrid cameras and their sites. These sites, and their retail arms might have the latest information and models first.

Disclaimer and warning, and Note: This summarises who independent posters think the original manufacture of models might be, and may not be necessarily correct or accurate, and it does not imply that there will be any attempt to validate it and should not be depended upon (and if doing so, you agree to do it at your own risk). And in reading or using this list or thread content (wherever you or an agent) you and your organisations agree that I do not have to validate it, and to not hold me civilly or legally liable (the creator of this thread) and any other liability belongs to their original source posters.

Hi

I often wonder who the original manufacturer of all the similar or identical hybrid cameras are, and often desired a list. I know from experience that sometimes you can buy a product, that has been contract manufactured for another retail brand, that you can't find a website, information or updated software and drivers for. That the original manufacturer might have updated, but the retail brand has given up putting on their site. That certain sites have more current model information. So, I decided to setup this thread for people to share what they have found. Even though it says list, it is really a thread of posts, and sometimes I might actually copy them to the first post here. Got lots to do and am often sick, but the thread should still be a valuable resource.

One thing to note is, that apart from cameras from a manufacture getting re-badged for different brands, their maybe more than one original manufacturer. Manufactures, or design companies, might license a design to alternative manufacturers to actually manufacture it (hence the "pa" classification below). How this makes a difference, is that the most original manufacture usually knows what's happening first. It is complex, but this is here to help people simplify it. At the same time we can't guarantee that what people post is right, or that they can get it right (not that they should try to get it wrong) so take everything as a potential possibility with a proverbial "pinch of salt".

More original company and manufacture names might be found on the camera, the box, documentation, software, or even firmware etc. Though theses things will also contain names of other manufactures that manufacture items that are in the product as well. Unless it says that the camera is manufactured by, or it is provable that the referred company is an original manufacturer, then it may not be worth posting. Web search engines are a good way to look up details, but sometimes they are not there (though some Asian product source search sites might still have information on companies without websites).

Thread usage

Etiquette 101:
Don't hassle manufacturers or companies, if they don't want to tell you that's up to them. It is best to have a good reputation out there.

Readers usage:
To search the thread, use your web browsers page search function (often "Ctrl" Key + "F" key) and enter the name you wish to search for.

Posters usage:
Let's not get into long debates about models etc (maybe need a second thread) to keep everything short and sweet. If you can't find it in this thread then do a post like this below with the fields filled out as much as you can, that can be copied over to here if and when the list is maintained:

Original manufacturer/s:
Original manufacturer site/s:
Original manufactures retail brands (that end up at stores):
Original manufactures retail sites/s:
(pa=possible alternative source manufacturer)

Companies that possibly, you think, have used it's models (including those that license the design and manufacture it):
(0=old) (n=new)

You may wish to copy the existing entry and update it in your post.

In doing this you agree to let it be used whole heartedly free of copyright, and also in relation to the list activities, and for reproduction. That you hold all responsibility for it's accuracy, and have tried to make it accurate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The existing Camera List thread already gives the models and features, but under the same terms, as stated above, this thread might someday include alternative model information here for each Original Manufacturer entry.

Please note: that sometimes a manufacturer could produce a model or variation for a brand, that it does not produce for its own brand, and sometimes an alternative manufacturer could produce a model or a variation exclusively for itself, or its corporate customers. To simplify this, here we just concentrate on who is the most original version of a model and different version from that. These entries go under the relevant manufacturers headings:

Alternative models:
(Original model, with list of possible alternative companies and their possible alternative model names).

(pv=possible alternative model is a possible variation on the original)

I, the original creator of the list thread, retain all copyrights.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possibly True Manufactures List(Eventually)
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2008, 3:47 PM   #2

This is probably not proprietary information and probably not that hard to find without contacting any of the camera companies. You would have to dig around mainly for doing searches for OEM manufacturers of such devices. In the 1990s when I was a technical director for a software company I always got "dog and pony shows" from different vendors. Once I had a company come to call that I'd never heard of but wanted to show some new models of CD-ROM drives. Turned out it was the company that made the majority of the CD-ROM drives for other companies but never directly to the market under their own name.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:22 PM   #3

Article on OEM digital camera manufacturers:
http://www.photoxels.com/article-oem.html

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:04 PM   #4

Thanks for this, it illustrates what I was talking about. I appreciate your efforts.

I am sorry I am leaving it to others to contribute. I am still having trouble with my health, and am still trying to work through a late and rather large submission to a government regional plan (the region is probably as big as some US states, and the plan also is also huge).
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote