Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1

One of my SANYO CG6 camcorders just developed two dead pixels.

My 90 day labor warranty has expired.

Rats. (Bought mine in February of this year.)

I plan to phone the SANYO service center tomorrow and try to find out how much they would charge to fix the dead pixels.

Has anybody dealt with SANYO for this type of issue?

If so, how much did they charge to do the repair?

If it's too much, I'll just chuck the camera and buy a second Aiptek.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:54 AM   #2

Sanyo Service advises it would "cost as much as a brand new camera" if I were to attempt to get this VPC-CG6 repaired.

$200 down the drain.

SANYO products? Never -- ever -- again.

Private Idaho
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:44 PM   #3

Wow in europe you get a 3 year warranty if you register your camera. I'm not sure the dead pixel stuff is covered. For those in europe and want the 3 year warranty see http://www.sanyo.de/products/digital...?lg=E&n1=6
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:17 AM   #4

Yes the 90 day warranty, instead of a full year on a lot of products now, makes you wonder how confident they are in their products especially when even Aiptek offers a full year.

I take it the two dead pixels are on the CCD and not the LCD right?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:35 PM   #5

Yes, on the CCD; Not on the LCD.

I tried taking the camera back to Wal-Mart...

...had the original box and hadn't even opened the plastic bags containing all of the cables, manuals, etc...

...couldn't even persuade Wal-Mart to offer me a $25 credit toward other purchases.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 4:36 PM   #6

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Yes, on the CCD; Not on the LCD.

I tried taking the camera back to Wal-Mart...

...had the original box and hadn't even opened the plastic bags containing all of the cables, manuals, etc...

...couldn't even persuade Wal-Mart to offer me a $25 credit toward other purchases.
Well I guess because it was even outside Walmarts 90 day period. Still it's a real crapshoot when the damn thing does this just outside the 90 day period. I think 90 days is far too short. I find if an item lasts a year (Which is what a decent warranty should be) then generally it will last a good while whereas 90 days is nothing. Many people probably use it once or twice in that sort of time and so may not even notice a fault until it's too late which is what they are banking on I guess!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:08 PM   #7

Right.

I have two Sanyo VPC-CG6 camcorders.

One of them is defective due to the stuck pixels; the other is OK.

I may donate them to charity.

I know of a local charity that needs two relatively cheap camcorders.

Frankly, I don't like the image quality of the VPC-CG6.

I just did a comparison between the Sanyo VPC-CG6 and the Panasonic SDR-S10P using composite cables to a fairly large, old fashioned "square" tube TV.

While the Panasonic video is less saturated, it's also much, much sharper and crisper to the point where there's no question that the Panasonic kicks the Sanyo's butt.

I hooked up the Aiptek Action HD and the D1 picture from the Aiptek also kicked the Sanyo's butt -- except the Aiptek sensor did not perform well in low light.

Still, the Aiptek and the Panasonic are -- for me -- far better performers.

I've filed a complaint against SANYO with the state consumer fraud division because -- while I realize the warranty was only 90 days -- I believe most consumers would have to scrutinize the SANYO video to an extreme degree to notice the defective pixels.

Problem is... once you *do* spot them, you can't NOT SEE THE DEFECTIVE PIXELS.

It's a very deceptive type of issue.

And -- yes -- if Aiptek can offer a one-year warranty, then why can't SANYO -- unless -- as you pointed out -- they *know* there's a quality control issue like this.

My consumer fraud complaint might not get any satisfactory result, but on the other hand I believe SANYO needs to be officially put on notice about this type of problem.

I've read complaints about stuck pixels being a problem with SANYO camcorders from other purchasers who've written about it on the Web.

Private Idaho