Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:14 PM   #1

I have an Aiptek A-HD I like a lot, however, one function really is getting in the way of my use...

There's no way to shoot video with the display off.. (I do have "auto-shutoff" disabled in the menus... no change)

-- When you close the display up, display facing IN, the camera shuts off. (even mid-record)
-- When you close the display up, display facing OUT, it burns battery life and shortens your record time. (And puts the display at risk, especially when it's mounted on something... like say an RC Airplane?)

I'd love to see this fixed with a "menu" option, but short of that I'm willing to try hacking it open to see if I can fix it.

Any ideas? Something easy I'm missing?

dohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2008, 3:44 PM   #2

you must remove the magnet in the lcd screen, why we cannot leave in he reverse position, would be due to the on/of button.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 3:48 PM   #3

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
you must remove the magnet in the lcd screen, why we cannot leave in he reverse position, would be due to the on/of button.

ok, I think I get the idea.. There's a magnet in the screen that when it hits the reed switch, shuts off the camera. Remove the magnet and it won't power off any more.

Any pictures/links on where to find it, and how to remove it?

HOWEVER, what about the screen? Will it still stay on? How can I avoid it sucking down the battery life?

Old Aug 15, 2008, 3:55 PM   #4

1 there may be a pic here somewhere about this unsure where I know a member did this and posted their own topic.

2 battery life is up to 90 minutes no matter what. if you remove the magnet you areforcing the screen to stay on, we know that, but is there a way we can shut the monitor off while it records?

Finding the ribbon cable and the wiring one could mod a switch in there to shut off the Filmed monitor, remember the Go, MPVr'swere Lttps with a higher lamp, while the A-HD and Plus are film less battery life?

so far I would not go that far. I would carry a spare battery, or make a container first.

YES the screen will always be on no way to turn off and record, sorry
Old Aug 15, 2008, 6:14 PM   #5

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
battery life is up to 90 minutes no matter what. ... Finding the ribbon cable and the wiring one could mod a switch in there to shut off the Filmed monitor, remember the Go, MPVr'swere Lttps with a higher lamp, while the A-HD and Plus are film less battery life?
I did find the thread on the magnet, and i'm going to give that a shot.

I do wonder if finding a way to just shut off the power to the LCD screen would be enough.

FWIW, I'm not even getting 90 minutes, I'm getting maybe 20-25 of cont filming. I'm guessing the display being off would at least double that.

thanks for the information.

Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:01 PM   #6

old batery in pkg too long call up get a new one. hd or CIF over a hour

no vid review will be done at this time
Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:57 PM   #7

I found it easier to just lift up the edges of the plastic button covering, remove the 2 screws, then gently lift the plastic and use some tweezers to remove the magnet, which is just below the power button.
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote