Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 19, 2008, 2:22 PM   #1

Greetings Everyone:

I'm really enjoying my Aiptek Action HD.

But I'm curious to know when do you think a 1920 X 1080 Pocket Camcorder will be marketed that will sell for under $300.00?

For Today, only Sony and Sanyo have Pocketable or almost pocketable Camcorders
that create video at 1920 X 1080.
But these camcorders are above $500.00.

Of the two companies I find Sony is the most pocketable of them all.

OK, so here is my prediction, lets hear a drum roll please.

I predict that in August of 2009, there will be a Camcorder company that will market a 1920 X 1080 Pocket Camcorder for under $300.00.

Lets hear your predictions, who knows maybe they will come true.

Regards Robert
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:53 AM   #2

Hi Robert,

I don't think Sony, Sanyo or any other major company will release a full HD "pocket camcorder" at a price tag below 300$, ever. Just wait and hope the TG1/3 drops in price as is gets older.

Aiptek, DXG, Digilife etc., are going to, I assume release a 1920x1080p hybrid in the near future. I don't think that's a challenge for them. I believe they have the technology/hardware to build one. Main issue here is BITRATE of video. Most if not all cheap hybrid cams on the market today has low video bitrate compared to major manufacturing companies such as Canon. I mean what is full HD 1920x1080p worth, if it's only in 6-7Mbs. Not much if you ask me. So I'd rather see higher bitrates than higher resolution.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:02 PM   #3

Greetings Adalfa:

So what is your prediction of when a 1920 X 1080 Camcorder with your desired bitrate will be marketed?

Regards Robert
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:37 PM   #4

Hehehe, well Robert, if we're just talking about a cheap, low video bitrate hybrid with full HD resolution, I would say sometime next year. Not at the beginning though but I think later next year. The Aiptek PocketDV AHD Z600+ is still to be released and this h-cam doesn't have full HD, so we have to wait for the AHD Z700+. If not the other cheap hybrid manufacturors beat Aiptek to it. So I think your prediction August is a qualified guess. But I predict September as the month where we will see a "cheap", "pocketable" and "full HD, 1920x1080p" hybrid camera(with low videobitrate as I don't think we will "ever" see a cheap h-cams with high video bitrate).
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 1:51 PM   #5

Wow a A-HD700+ optimistic

is that 7 models later becasue i would believe thare are afe more res sizes they need to reach before 1920x1080P

they'll somehow work a 120FP rate in there one day before they hit the higher Hd . but X crossed as well

adalfa wrote:
Quote:
Hehehe, well Robert, if we're just talking about a cheap, low video bitrate hybrid with full HD resolution, I would say sometime next year. Not at the beginning though but I think later next year. The Aiptek PocketDV AHD Z600+ is still to be released and this h-cam doesn't have full HD, so we have to wait for the AHD Z700+. If not the other cheap hybrid manufacturors beat Aiptek to it. So I think your prediction August is a qualified guess. But I predict September as the month where we will see a "cheap", "pocketable" and "full HD, 1920x1080p" hybrid camera(with low videobitrate as I don't think we will "ever" see a cheap h-cams with high video bitrate).
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:45 PM   #6

The reason the cheap hybrids have a low bitrate is simply that they are aimed at consumers who are very likely to have low powered PC's. Therefore the compromise is that the bitrate is just enough for an acceptable image in MOST situations. For consumers who are merely videoing their kids etc. the bitrate is actually quite adequate in my opinion. Friends have remarked at how clear the video is from my Jazz HDV178 for such a cheap camera for example.

For the average consumer without very deep pockets, good enough is plenty acceptable and manufacturers know this. It is better to have an affordable average device than something that produces glorious imagery but remains in the realm of a lottery win for many.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:53 PM   #7

I agree with RGVCam.

Also, if you go ahead and spend $1,000+ for the most expensive Canon, for example, you might just drop it and break it and... well... you get the drift.

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:58 PM   #8

By the way, I almost lost my Sony HDR-UX1 AVCHD cam a couple of weeks ago.

I packed it inside of a tough protective case, thankfully.

That case was inside of my external frame backpack by Jansport.

Imagine my surprise as I carried my backpack into a motel near the trailhead of a remote mountain range in Wyoming and -- suddenly -- the straps on my Jansport backpack utterly failed... causing the backpack to drop to the floor.

Fortunately, my Sony HDR-UX1 was packed securely inside that waterproof, plastic case and it survived the fall.

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:44 AM   #9

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
I agree with RGVCam.

Also, if you go ahead and spend $1,000+ for the most expensive Canon, for example, you might just drop it and break it and... well... you get the drift.

A good case in point was when I took the HDV178 to the beach to film the kids a while back*in* the water, not just on the beach. Wouldn't have even attempted that with a $600 Canon HF100 for instance!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 3:58 AM   #10

I don't care for a below $300 1920x1080 pocket cam... bu what I do care and am still waiting for, is for an affordable HD (720p, 1080, 1440 anamorphic,whatever) pocket cam, with an actual CCD to avoid the rolling shutter.

No wonder I love my Cg65 so much.. it has a CCD instead of the crappy and cheap CMOS sensors!!!

is good to dream...
subc is offline   Reply With Quote