Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:00 AM   #1

As a longtime Sanyo c4/hd1/hd2 user I've been hunting around for something better than either, over a year ago I bought a Canon tx1, portable yes but mjpeg video, forget it as for the purple streakng horrendous.

Initially toyed with the hd1000 but the still quality is not upto the hd2(or hd1 or tx1) and in the end wanting to get away from the dreaded ccd chose a completely different hybrid the Casio f1, great stills and high speed but as a hybrid forget it the video after a while has annoyed me to such an extent I hate it, it's not stabilised in any way digital only and it has no wide angle at all when in digital stab mode, about 44mm.

Anyway, after frustration and also the evident rolling shutter of cmos now becoming evident in the video too(wobble-bobble!!) I was on the verge of getting a dedicated video cam with ccd and putting up with the ccd smear and 1080i etc then the z1012 came to my attention, I dont have it yet but it appears to be a great choice and the mp4 is of the hd1/2 variety but at 15mbits/sec. The controls are limited, its auto but from the videos I've found it seems to control ccd smear well, has good resolution, very little focus hunt, super fast zoom and very very stable image stab. Its also 10mpix, shoots some of the best stills from a compact zoom in a long while has 33mm wide, seeminlgy good low light capability, all in all ofr £160/$250 it appears to be the new superzoom hybrid champ, x12 is stabilised lense and you can add a ele adapter( not sure its zoom through, just at its longest setting)

Anybody got one, am going to get one next week, any issue with it?

Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:57 AM   #2

I have one. A big feature is that there is no audio noise from zoom or OIS on the audio. I assume it is electronically canceled. Stereo mics, at least as good an audio quality as the Sanyo HD700/HD1000. The biggest drawback is the limited maximum recording time in HD of 29 minutes.

It works well at low light levels which totally stymie my old Sanyo HD1000.

When zooming it will sometimes lose focus, but so do the Sanyos. At high zoom ratios ( > x6) the image size changes a little as the focus hunts. You probably don't want to be operating routinely at these zoom levels anyway. It has a good wide-angle of vision, unlike the Sanyos. Image stabilization is excellent, second only to my Canon HF100.

Superb picture quality from its 14Mbps video data rate. It is Divx5 compression, with relatively few artifacts.

It has a viewfinder to look through, as well as the LCD, and is therefore execellent out-of-doors. If you fit the Klic-8000 rechargeable battery it will video for over an hour without any problems (except the limited max clip length). It takes SDHC at least up to 16Gigs in size. After recording long clips you will find the camera takes a while to "process" after the stop button is pressed. As much as 30secs after 30 mins of HD or 1 minute after an hour. This can get to be a pain...

Overall, my summary would be that the image quality is superb in the 1280x720 HD mode, it is an excellent videocam for general purpose holiday-type filming. Video is easy to process. Audio is U-law ADPCM, a very old standard and you may have to go searching for a codec.

You want to keep an eye on the Z1015 IS which has just been released. Advantages are a battery rechargeable in the camera, OIS by CCD image shift, x15 zoom - 28mm at wide end, RAW mode on shooting still JPEGs. I have one on order, and expect it to arrive any day now.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:38 AM   #3

Thanks,

None of my cams have image stab at these zoom rates anything like this, low quality youtube but am hoping this is a good indication of the stability, I see no loss of focus here? Also is ccd smear/streaking evident in bright light or well controlled also, again have hunted for examples and am finding minimal smear/purple streaking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z650Mwiq5hA
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4

When taking still images you can select the Z1012 f-stop sufficient to stop the CCD showing vertical lines from bright lights. You cannot do that in video, and you will have to watch that bright lights do not enter the field of view. This is the same as on the Sanyon HD700. I didn't use the HD1000 for long enough to see what it did to bright lights. Certainly the Canon HF100 CMOS does not streak lights which cause smear and streak on the Z1012 CCD. Additionally, the Canon allows manual control of the f-stop. You have to pick your "horses for courses..."

If you download the raw video file from the V1073 I put on Vimeo you will see the first segment, which didn'y convert properly to the Vimeo preview, includes lights streaking at night. The V1073 and Z1012 are similar sensitivity, and similar degree of streaking.
http://www.vimeo.com/1028849

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote