Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1

I tried recording an hour show using the Aiptek MPVR today. According to the manual, a 2GB should've been more than enough. It says 1GB is enough for approx one hour of video (just as with conventional video recording) yet the resulting the one hour show didn't quite even fit in 2GB!

It's almost as if it was using twice the bitrate to record from the A/V in. Am I missing something here? What do others get for recording time on their MPVR?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:04 AM   #2

I never recorded more than 5 mins with mine. So I can't help you there. I couldn't see the point of recording a TV show on the device since the quality was so much inferior to other recording devices I had at home. I guess I could see using it for a helmet cam, underwater cam, etc.. something you need a portable device for.

Although, I suppose if you wanted to watch a TV show on the camera, that is the only way to get it there. I found it irritating that it was advertised as a movie player, yet it was virtually impossible to import a downloaded movie or anything from some other format into the camera for viewing. So it is kind of lame that you would have to first record the TV show (hence probably be watching it) before you could view it, which means you would have already seen it while recording and no need to watch again.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:30 AM   #3

Actually the only reason I was messing with it, was my wife wanted to record a Mexican Telenovella for a relative at short notice and we were not sure the VCR was working properly as we practically never use it to record and my son had a habit of putting stuff in it :G So while we took the VCR apart, I used this device as a backup and the quality is good enough for that purpose.

I just thought it odd that the recording times don't match up with the recording times when used as a regular camcorder or what it says in the manual. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this. I can't believe mine is faulty in that respect since it would be an odd 'fault' to have.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 2:57 PM   #4

very good points.

I would not look t it as a big tv portable player but a traveling companion.

A) for a car if a tv is placed in or a dvd player with plugins

B) a 27 inc tube, back up or MP4 player

no mater what you gonna catch on film, it will do just fine.

MP3/4 players are about 1.8-3 inchs and portable tubes 3-12 inchs, I would have to say the quality is perfect

Using Arcsoft, the sftwre provided any format will go into that device so yes a dvd of anything can be converted.

when ona vaca and the hotel has no vcr and need to tape andwatch later this cam will do. thanks

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:10 PM   #5

I dont have a MPVR but have a similar problem with my DXG Roadster. Sometimes the file size will remain normal and other times they will double, no real logic to it and very annoying. I have found a fix but you are not alone and I guess its not just Aiptek who do it!
DynaMight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:44 PM   #6

DynaMight wrote:
Quote:
I dont have a MPVR but have a similar problem with my DXG Roadster. Sometimes the file size will remain normal and other times they will double, no real logic to it and very annoying. I have found a fix but you are not alone and I guess its not just Aiptek who do it!
Now this is getting interesting:G I thought from the lack of responses that maybe I was in some sort of alternate Universe where this only happened to me!

I wonder if the DXG Roadster has the same chipset?

It's not really a feature I intended to use, but the one time I did find it handy, I couldn't quite record all the TV Program even though it was only around an hour! I guess I should perhaps try it out at the 320x240 setting to see if it does that same.

This flaw wouldn't be too big a problem if the device supported SDHC, but as it doesn't you are limited to 2GB so if it doesn't fit then there is nothing you can do about if you want a continuous recording.

Since I am not intending to make use of this feature, I can't be bothered to try lots of recordings to see if it does the same as your DXG ie records normal length sometimes.

Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:58 AM   #7

Its possible they do. Mine also has a bug where everything goes blurry if the picture encounters bright light, I use mine to record from a bullet cam and it does it everytime and with the random file sizes makes it quite annoying. I have found that 320x240 res doesnt have any of these buts and actually keeps the file sizes fairly small.

I havent bothered to test fully either. Its what you get with these cheap devices I guess. :?
DynaMight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 5:26 PM   #8

no vid review or maybe LOL

I am throwing a test on the Digilife and Aiptek MPVR as we speak. 2 gig cards in both lets say they have about 1 minute of video on it due to first failure. shutting off the Av input due to mpvr in wrong slot.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:13 PM   #9

I am in around 50 minutes and all looks fine
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:36 PM   #10

well not sure what to tell you

1hr 10 min plus and still going, no need to show the digilifes pic it is also running

FW 1707 and at the time Av was an issue? what are you running?