Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:40 PM   #1

I am seriously thinking about buying a Kodak Zi6. Does anyone know if I can hook the AV cable up to my TV and record TV programming on the Zi6? I need a cheap camcorder and I also want to clean out my DVR and dump those shows into my computer to burn to DVD.

Thanks!
Chip5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 2:23 AM   #2

The video which has been posted with this camera is terrible. Early owner reviews are just as bad. No image stabilization and the compression tears with the slightest amount of camera movement.

Look at the Kodak V1073 or V1253 instead. Or the Z1012 IS, for that matter.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 4:22 PM   #3

From looking at what people are saying and seeing the videos myself., it seems to me that it's not the actual video quality that is at fault, but more that it's low light ability andimage stabilisation are the problem. After all it seems that it uses an Ambarella chip as well.

They definitely need to work on image stabilisation on these devices.

I am guessing that OIS would make them too expensive and any digital stabilization doesn't work as well due to their low mass. I say this, as I had an old JVC Super VHS-C camcorder when OIS didn't even exist (at least on consumer cams) and it worked fairly well probably because it didn't jerk as much when you walked due to it's larger size.

Here is a good review of the Kodak and how it performs in low light (or not!)compared to the flip cameras:

http://www.vimeo.com/1598940

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:27 PM   #4

rgvcam,
Kodak know how to make an exceptional HD video camera. The Zi6 is not even a little bit like the quality base they have worked so hard to create. In a way it is sad, in another way it shows that in the same way as Sanyo failed to follow the market (IMO), Kodak is now also losing the plot...

I am happy enough. I have an HF100, a V1253, a V1073 and a Z1012. I will be able to get plenty of excellent HD video during my trip to Portugal next week Who knows what will be my camera selection in 6 months time...

Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:38 AM   #5

The video download I have seen was burnt out and terrible in broad day light. This is the opposite of what I hopped, sort of TX1 mark 2.0. I wonder where Canon and Kodak got these models from, maybe an Chinese or Indian supplier?

Kodak normally sues a TI chip that does a Mpeg4 (old) variant. If this is ambarella, that is interesting. I will have to have another look at clips.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:27 AM   #6

Wayne,
I am expecting my Kodak Z1015 to arrive in the next few days (before 4 Sept) and I will report if they use Ambarella in that. But I seriously doubt it. Last month's Z1012 uses the Divx5 chip at 14mbps, which does an excellent job.

I think the Zi6 was a once-off marketing disaster which will undo a lot of the good work Kodak has done in HD recording. The new Nikon D90 DSLR with HD, even though they use Motion JPG, does allow full manual control of video parameters, and that is likely to raise the bar again in the near future for all these cameras, I think. All Nikon need is a decent compression chip...

Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:42 PM   #7

Thanks, I was more referring to the Zi6, because I am pretty certain the others use the TI DIvx5 chip.

What you said is something for people to realise. A good Divx5 chip at 14mb/s 720p can blow away an ambarella chip at 3.5-6.75mb/s. We know that the ambarella is a good implementation of H264, but I don't know if the TI is for Divx5 yet. But this also depends on how much processing power that the chip has to compress the image. The more power, the better the job they can do on it (potentially).
I noticed the Aiptek z600 brochure data sheet claims that the H264 is 3.5 times better then Mpeg2. I remember reading this figure on the ambarella site years ago, then seeing figures somewhere in the 2-3 times mark latter. I wonder if the latest chips are more efficient then the previouse chips (having more processing power).

While America was getting Kodak models locally Kodak was still trying to flog old models for a long time, and then we got only a few and over priced compared to what you guys were used to. So, I am not pleased with them, and just try to find a list of details or a list of HD cameras on their main site. It is a shame that consumer electronics companies feel they have to make their sites so sophisticated with multiple pages and fancy features, that you can't find what you are looking for because they forgot to list links to it! It is a shame that they have forgotten the old traditional computer industry style, make a product link to a product page of links that each link to a clearly and shortly written, and categorised, page with everything about the product on the page!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 3:42 AM   #8

Wayne,
I use the V1073 IS tiny pocket cam for general low-light HD video. It is superb for that. See:
http://www.vimeo.com/1028849
(download the mov file for the whole sequence)

I use a V1253 as a knock-about pocket HD video cam. It has a more rugged screen than the V1073, and stereo sound, but not quite the same low-light sensitivity. Maybe 1-2 f stops difference.

I have a Z1012 IS for anything not taken at full wide-angle. With the pocket cameras the zoom factor changes as they focus if you use the telephoto lens. With the Z1012 you can get pretty good performance out to x6.

I also carry an HF100 set to 'Film Mode' at 24p with a BP819 3hr battery. It is the video workhorse. But it is not really not pocket size, and it is harder to use outdoors than the Z1012.

Hope that helps

Old Aug 30, 2008, 4:08 PM   #9

Thanks, sounds OK.

Because it is very difficult to navigate the Kodak site, can I ask, is there any cameras that will do 720p60 or p50 on the horizon (apart from the Ki6) or higher resolutions?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 5:35 PM   #10

No, I haven't seen any Kodak 50/60fps cameras.