Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 30, 2008, 1:40 AM   #1

Hi, I am new to the board. I own a Canon Elura 100, and old Sony 8mm (no imputs) and a recently acquired like new black Aiptek A-HD for $60 bucks. I thought I had done my research on the Aiptek and the D1 resolution was fine for my application. However, it appears that is not the truly support resoultion after reading issues here and on other forums.

Anyway, my applicat ion is motorcycle touring (not track). Basically, I want a small inexpensive setup and would be happy with 8mm performance.

So, instead of getting one of the 480TVL Sony bullets cams for $$$, I am looking at the 50 dollar ones off of ebay.

1. Is the expectation of 8mm quality with the Aiptek + $50 bullet came reasonable?
2. Which bullet cam that I see on ebay isn't junk?
3. Are there better options than the Aiptek A-HD?

Thanks,
-henry
Clackamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:37 AM   #2

I have used a cheap ebay cam and a more expensive "sony" ccd model bullet cam. Picture quality is better with the more expensive camera. Color and picture detail look better.

The A-HD is not a good choice for A/V input use with external cams. The camera will randomly stop recording and go back to "player" mode by itself. It seems to be very picky about input signal quality and the bullet cams do not produce the best signal. Recording from a clean stable signal (such as dvd player) works much better. Feed it line input from a VHS, 8mm, or bulletcam and it will stop recording at random times. It happens to me frequently enough that I have given up on it, I have lost too much footage due to this problem. Try yours with an 8mm tape on playback as the A/V source to see what I am talking about.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:52 AM   #3

I made a vid awhile back how to record with av input.

As long as one does not hit anything of the external source you'll record, there are corect proceedures, but rather argue the point we want a simple solution not complications.

Video source will be as good as the recordingsource no better. so make sure you are equal or better not lesser with video external source.

just my 2 cents

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:58 AM   #4

I've had no shutoff problems feeding a "spycam" video/audio signal into some models of Digilife hybrids that have an av-in port. I did have trouble when I had the cable for the 9v power for the spycam taped to the cables for the video/audio signals. It seemed there was interference that shut down one Digilife camera. But with other Digilifes I did not have that problem either.

Spycams may be more or less convenient to work with than a bullet cam, and they are available in a range of quality levels. You can buy different lenses for them, and adjust the focus manually.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:13 PM   #5

How is the Aiptek MPVR? As I have dug deeper, looks like this is good and stable for 640x480 inputs...
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:18 PM   #6

Aiptek.com clearance sales look there before you decide the Go-Hd is 99.99 i get that before I get the MPVr with its Vid and aud issues again.

but since you asked about the cam

It is a great cam for Daytime filming does a great job videoing I also look into the IS-DV less the av input a much smoother cam in ways. they both cam out around the same time

clearance

[align=left]
MPVR - 3 Mega Pixel Camera (Including 2GB SD Card)
Code:R-PKDV58
Price: $79.99
Quantity in Basket:none
[/align]
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:39 PM   #7

I am more interested in the AV input quality for bullet/pinhole/spy cam inputs. I am looking to setup my motorcycle with more discrete and easier to manage setup than the Canon Elura / Sony 8mm set up I have now.

These hybrids have two big appeals: long record times and recording to SD.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:01 PM   #8

There's no easy answer for this. If you are fine with 320x240 resolution than any of the aiptek and similar products will deliver. But if you want a true 640x480 interlaced video then an 8mm camera would actually deliver considerably higher quality.

I suspect in order to record the full resolution and frame rate of the camera in a digital format, you'd probably have to find a small Mini-DV camera somewhere that has analog video inputs on it. At least it would be recorded to tape digitally and only a firewire cable would be required to download the video off.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:13 PM   #9

I have the Canon which does support AV in and LANC. However, on a a long ride, I have to change the battery / tape every 60mins as well as clean the bugs off the lens

My dream setup is to have 4 cameras going at once that can go for at least 2 hours between media changes. With bullet cam's @420TVL or prehaps some of the spy cams, I can get creative with the viewing angles. Of course the 380TVL means 340x240 is about is good as it will get.

I want to keep it inexpensive not only if I crash and trash, but I also don't want to be peeved if/when something gets stolen.

So far, Fishycomics reviews on Youtube and this site seem to be the best sources of info these hybrids. It is tough enough to find others experiences. Alas, getting a feel for the AV-IN of the cameras with bullet/spy cams is tougher. Sounds like a niche review possibility.

Anyway, I continue to appreciate the input you all have.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 2:38 PM   #10

Clackamas wrote:
Quote:
With bullet cam's @420TVL or prehaps some of the spy cams, I can get creative with the viewing angles. Of course the 380TVL means 340x240 is about is good as it will get.

That isn't entirely true. It took me some time to figure out what "TV Lines of Resolution" actually means.

In an NTSC or PAL setup the horizontal resolution is not fixed. It is just a sine wave like on an oscilloscope and it can vary however the signal wants it to vary. However, the vertical retrace is exactly timed, and therefor has an exact resolution.The "lines" you hear about on these cameras refers to the horizontal. So foran NTSC setup, you should still be able to get 480 interlaced resolution on thevertical, even if it is a low-res camera. So a 380 line camera should get you around 380x480 resolution. Using a device that only captures one field is still missing half of the resolution.

Another good thing about catching that extra field. If you use advanced editing tools (like Adobe Premiere) and you want to do a slow-motion shot, it will automatically convert 60-fields per second into 60 frames per second. So in those extreme slow-motion shots you may loose some resolution but you will get double the frame rate, which looks really cool. That is why slow-motion shots from an interlaced camera look way better than from a progressive scan.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote