Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 30, 2008, 8:02 PM   #1

Well this should probably be posted here but it does have some hybrid functionality of interest. Announced at IFA 2008, the Sony Cybershot T500. It features 10.1Mpix, 5x optical zoom, 3.5" wide touchscreen lcd and so on but most importantly it shoots 720p 30p. Sony joins Kodak and Samsung in this race. Read more about the camera:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...deo+Clips.html

By koingster
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:15 AM   #2

AVC H.264 compression. I have learned how to handle that for my Canon HF100 but it is going to give you a lot of grief editing the video if you have a Macintosh, and almost as much if you have a Windows or Linux PC.

No AVCHD data rate given - it would need to be at least 17Mbps for quality to match the lens, and I doubt Sony have gone that high...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3

Yeah I see your points, Trevmar but atleast it's a start. It's their first. Well also the price of the camera must be very high to begin with, compared to Kodak and Samsung. I just hope that Nikon, Canon and Casio will follow and also make small camera's with 720p capable video.

Usually AVC/H.264 don't need that high bitrate because it's compress video better that "normal" MPEG4/Divx/Xvid. But this create other problems as u mentioned with editing/handling/viewing.

I'd gather you're a "diehard" Canon and Kodak fan:G after reading your posts.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 1:35 PM   #4

Diehard Canon and Kodak fan? Not really. I bought a Sanyo C6 years ago, which did good service until it broke. My Sony TRV900 is still used when I need DV video recording.

Replacing the Sanyo C6 was tough. I went through three HD700 (two had faulty sensors) and thought I would be happy with the HD1000 until I compared it with my Canon HV20 one day. I replaced the HD1000 with the Canon HF100, which is a real winner when used at 24p in Film Mode color.

Since most of the stuff I take is indoors, and I prefer HD (so the clips will be more useful in a year or two's time) the Kodaks really are ahead right now.

If this new Sony uses the "upside down" technology Sony have been talking about for their sensors, and gets that extra f-stop or so sensitivity, then I will take a very close look at it. As I said, processing AVCHD is easy for me, now I have all the software in place...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 1:51 PM   #5

software is the other 50% why i am happy with magex and will look more to t sonys i also would like other alternitives in software
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:14 PM   #6

Fewimportant things about the sony:

1) optical is

2) avc, ok not brilliant but compressed

3)ccd, cmos is better against the sunlight but elsewhere ccd is more stable imo.

Could be a very interesting hybrid
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:27 PM   #7

Right now I have the KODAK Z1285 and it really is a good 720P P&S camera for the money with great battery life with 2 good rechargeable AA's.

However I like the Sony's because its a little more compact and there's no protruding lens....Will consider this camera or upcoming versions in the future for sure.
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:05 PM   #8

flowbee wrote:
Quote:
Right now I have the KODAK Z1285 and it really is a good 720P P&S camera for the money with great battery life with 2 good rechargeable AA's.

However I like the Sony's because its a little more compact and there's no protruding lens....Will consider this camera or upcoming versions in the future for sure.
Do you have any video samples? I'd like to see the video and audio quality of that kodak.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 2:10 AM   #9

No doubt, I'll post one or two up this week.
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote