Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:36 AM   #1

Hello!

First of all, thanks to fishycomics for all the video reviews.
I'm the not so proud owner of a seemingly rare SVP HDDV-8800 hybrid cam that I bought a few years ago.

As with most hybrid cams, it's AWFUL with low light situations.
What's the best current hybrid cam for low light situations?

Xacti HD1010?
Xacti HD700?
The new Xact HD800?
TX1?
Aiptek A-HD? A-HD+?
The new Aiptek Z600?

For me, nothing else matters but quality in low light.
Ergonomics, sound, resolutions, etc... the video performance in low light is what I need, but all the sites never talk about it.

I know that this is the best place on earth to get information on these types of products, so I though I'd ask your opinion.

I appreciate it so much!

** Any camera I decide to get, I will do thorough samples in various conditions, then upload the raw clips to my server for download. **
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:19 AM   #2

From reading past posts, I see that the Xacti C6 got very good reviews in low light.

However, there was no real decision about 'the best hybrid cam in low light'... any ideas?

I also see that fishycomics sayst that Aiptek A-HD (not A-HD+) is good for low light. Any comparisons?

I'm recording myself DJ and there's only minimal lighting... I want to buy several of these for recording events from several angles, but need to get a good decision first ~
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:54 AM   #3

Kodak probably
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 10:07 AM   #4

I can say that the cg65 is better in low light than the hd700 but the auto white balance is off more than the hd700 I have.
I wouldn't use any of the above without a light in a club, as I took both to a wedding and without the extra light I would have got either not detail or very grainy colourless video. Actually I would always use a light if I were to film in that environment, unless you have a nightshot camcorder and want the green video that they produce.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:43 AM   #5

The Kodak V1073 or Z1012, both with optical stabilization, 1280x720 30fps.
Look at my video:
http://www.vimeo.com/1028849
(download the mov)

Only my HF100 and HV20 come close to this performance at 24p.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:18 PM   #6

with miniml light it is hard.

Aip A-Hd, then A-HD+ fixedfocus only will work, if going Auto focus then it is theGO then Action but both will hunt

all fourwill do its job but you will not get anything in perfect low light after footage of video you may need to see if a truecamcorder with full manual controlswill work better. even a infrared system gets b & w.

thanks for the compliments. and WELCOME ABOARD
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:26 PM   #7

I don't know which country you are in but the $99 Jazz HDV178 isn't too bad in low light for it's price either.

Here are a couple of clips I took fishing at night on a pier:

http://www.vimeo.com/1218393
http://www.vimeo.com/1218398

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 3:24 PM   #8

I have to agree RGV. and I hesitated to post the jazz as a recomendation. it will do its job better then the Aiptek in ways but not going to be that ALL time pro model.

all these movies we see they use big balloons that emit light to give a glow you'll never get a face all lit up unless light is directly on it.

as long as you have light on the object video is possable. just remember grain will be present and others will complain more about not being professional.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:52 AM   #9

Thanks for the input.
I've seen some people mod their cams with IR lights to get really nice night time shots --- even capable of seeing "in the dark" (seeing things you could not regularly see with the human eye.

That makes me wonder if it's not a better idea to buy an Aiptek A-HD and customize it yourself!

I saw:
http://vimeo.com/919863
(fishycomics does comparison of low light between Jaxx and Aiptek)

I think the quality of color on the Aiptek is MUCH better, and the "night mode" seems to work well.

"fishycomics 4 months ago
yes the Jazz will show b etter in low light lcd screen and filming will degrade in color, the AIp will be harder t osee in the lcd but hold a better color, not sure if iti s hte expousure or setting of the cam I wil have to default again and film it is all from a turn on no setting"

I'm starting to think that the A-HD from Aiptek may be better then the Jazz in low light... Of course, perhaps the HD700 with a modification would be even better... ?!

Anyone here mod their cameras with IR light?