Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:58 PM   #1

Recently received my new A-HD+, bought on ebay. It is my third hybrid camcorder since 2005, so I know how to deal with them, how to connect to PC, TV, DVD ect.
But I found that this one cannot record video from my TV.
Problem is:
I connect (as instructed) proper cable to TV's video-out (yellow end to video, red and white to audio) and other end of the cable to av-in port of the A-HD+.
After I choose on camera's display AV-in option - next I see blank screen and phrase "no signal" appearing shortly, and camcorder freeze (but I can hear sound of the TV program from camera's speaker). No matter which button I push next, camera do not react. Only way to "revive" it is remove and place back battery.
First I thought that it is cable or TV fault, so I connected my old hybrid (SVP HDDV-8600) to the same cable - and it started to record without problem. I tried to record with A-HD+ from other TV-sets - no success. Tried to change settings in camcorder's menu - no result, just same freezes.
Next I tried to connect it to DVD player - and it started to record from it! (By the way, resolution of final video file was 720x576)
Now I'm confused - why it cannot record TV programs and at the same time easily pick up signal from DVD player's video-out?
My one thought is that this hybrid designed for US (NTSC) market, and I live in Europe (Secam/pal). But at the same time, my DVD player has same system (pal)...
Any ideas, anybody?
P.S.In any case I will keep this camera, because it fulfilling it's main function realy nice, and also, sending it back and forth absolutely sensless because of high postage cost
P.S2 I have mailed aiptek service with description of the problem yesterday. Still waiting for the answer...
Piterplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:14 PM   #2

That PAL/NTSC issue could very easily be the problem.

If one has a camcorder designed for NTSC markets and tries to use the "AV-in" feature in a PAL market, then the problem you describe could, indeed, result.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:43 PM   #3

Added info with P.I. response..........

1 in pal and if you also set the Flicker 50/60........

plugging in the cam to a live feed (vcr for tv shows) you will get sound only and have you noticed the cam beeping every up/down of the joystick?

I tested out in paland got just thaat. tv a isNTSC and cam must match.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:56 PM   #4

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Added┬* info with P.I. response..........

1 in pal and┬* if you also set the┬* Flicker 50/60........

┬*plugging in the cam to a┬*┬* live feed (vcr for tv shows)┬* you┬* will get sound only and have you noticed the cam beeping every┬*┬* up/down of the joystick?

┬*I tested out in paland got just thaat. tv a isNTSC and cam must match.
Thanks for an answer,
Yes, I have tried both 50/60 flicker modes.
Swithched from pal to ntsc av-out.
No beeping while touching joystick (after freezing).
Strange, but both my older hybrids (one of them bought in the US also)was able to record our TV programs.
If it works only in NTSC, it is solely Aiptek fault, because were was no warning in the camcorder's description about this limitation:
"Personal Media Player & Recorder:
Connect the camera to your TV/VCR/DVD player to record your favorite movies, TV shows, and other favorite videos. Playback directly on the 2.4" LCD or create your own Digital Video Library. Records from any device that has RCA outputs for entertainment on the go!"
http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS
Forgot to mention, it have 1.404 firmware.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:40 PM   #5

I hear ya.

as long as all matchs up everythingworks? so I am hopingyou are using a VCR to connect live footage I understand as long as a signal isproduced with footage it will work. now the question, the realquestion is:

Feb 10-14th 2009 analog signal will no longer be will the av input of all digital devices ofaiptek work?:idea:
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:58 PM   #6

I dont think it s a problem about standar pal/ntsc. My Action Hd records correctly from pal sources.
The fact that Piter's camera freezes is a bit strange.
The only difference between the 2 tests are the video-out connectors,aren't they? Have you got the same connectors on tv and dvd? Or do u use a AV scart adapter ?
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:23 AM   #7

sr71 wrote:
Quote:
The only difference between the 2 tests are the video-out connectors,aren't they? Have you got the same connectors on tv and dvd? Or do u use a AV scart adapter ?
I have tested it with all my 3 TV's. One of them was connected through scart adapter, other two have RCA TV-out connectors. DVD player has both, I used RCA and scart.
Strange is right word, I agree.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:36 AM   #8

Piterplus wrote:
Quote:
sr71 wrote:
Quote:
I have tested it with all my 3 TV's. One of them was connected through scart adapter, other two have RCA TV-out connectors. DVD player has both, I used RCA and scart.
Strange is right word, I agree.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:28 AM   #9

Sorry,no idea then , I can only suggest to try a firmware update
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:56 AM   #10

I use the video recording feature with my AH+ every day without a problem. I record TV PAL N signal from the AV outputs on my Kworld TV Box attached to my computer.

I thing the problem might be with the signal level output coming out from the tuning device.
voyeurtp is offline   Reply With Quote