Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:33 AM   #41

will be for this weekend, thead came in a local ads with other stuff.

CC will not accept or give full credit back on just returns. if you are going I think defective is a bettercahnce then do not want. I do not like CC for that. and BB is becoming the same as well.

the battery: can be from older models it is funny how they can easily make mistakes and pass its inspections. which I believe are no longer today due to $$$$$
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:32 AM   #42

Took the HSHD back to Circuit City last night. No hassle with the restocking charge after I presented email from Aiptek stating it was defective and that I should return it.
The danger of taking the wife on a return is that we wound up exchanging it for a new 19" widescreen LCD monitor for her computer when I couldn't really find another in-store camera that I wanted to try.

I may try the GVS when it comes out. The next model I test will probably be the Canon FS-100. They are showing up less than $300 now. I haven't really seen much in the way of reviews here on it. I know it has an external mic jack and I have had good luck with the Canon MiniDV camcorders with external jacks.

Chipguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 8:17 AM   #43

Thanks.

Try the HD models, any of those Canons should blow away the cheap hybrids, the latest does 24mb/s, which should not be a sneeze. Some reviews over at camcorderinfo.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 2:33 PM   #44

Was in Target, I was able to open up the lecd and got the camera to actually work in my hands WOW.

I was so tempted to buy it. and truely test this out, and add to my collections, what stopped me was the feel of the cam,

It felt so plastic like that when i first held the MPVr, now if I held my MPVr isay it is deffently the better container.

1 a metal case- SOLD, no words...........

going through the settings hte screen is totally different A plus Aiptek I forgot to get into the Firmware sorry. mind was elsewhere.

the settings looked good nothing different just the design. The menu or mode where the vid pic etc is at,was nice as well...............

When i snapped a shot off, and fogot to bring a sd card with me and would not help due to thedam theft devices.....

the picture showed complete YELLOW, and that i stopped put the cam down and said,somethings not right. the vid mode did just fine had soft blue light I believe on top back.

shut the cam screen all shut off not good.

the record button is on the upper back a good place , the pic located top side. just like the new IS-DV2 design. back and fourth we go in buttons but hey these are different cams..........

I could get to like this model, and if it does drop for the holiday sale then i shall decide, but i preferre the Newer GVS model 720p to me now does not cut it with only 1280x720 hi and 60 f on dvd setting LOL 740x480 less vid res isdeffently a poor design here 3 setts only

3 out of 5 stars if asked......

Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:07 PM   #45

I bought the HSHD at Amazon for 150. I've only had it for a couple hours and did a few quick movies to see what's what.

First Impressions:

Well lit video comes out great. Normal indoor lighting videos have some graininess in them, but this is expected. In low light situations there is more graininess, but I was impressed by the fact that I was seeing anything at all in a room with only a 30 watt lamp in it with lots of shadows.

The audio quality is acceptable indoors. I don't know how it'll work outdoors. There is no noise from the lens focus like I had with the GO-HD. Of course, this camera has no lens zoom, so that's expected.

Don't bother taking still pictures with this thing unless the lighting is good. Too much graininess in a slightly below average lit living room.

The size and weight of the HSHD is noticeably smaller compared to the GO-HD that I own. Probably 30 percent less in both categories. I definitely appreciate that.

I'm really buying this as a camera to analyze my golf swing since it does 60 frames per second, but I'm starting to realize it's a great camera for the price. It may not be as good a video machine as a 500 dollar Canon camera but with 720p at 60 fps I was sold. And I don't have to worry as much about this thing getting stolen or breaking since 150 bucks won't break my bank.
fuzz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:08 PM   #46

Hi fuzz54,

I hope to see some raw motion video samples of this camera. It'll be exciting to see how the CCD sensor handles fast motion such as a golf swing.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:50 PM   #47

I'll see what I can do for recording and sharing a golf swing ASAP. In the past the GO-HD definitely showed blur at the 30 frames per second rate as I hit the ball. I'm just hoping the HSHD reduces the blur and gives me twice as many frames. If that happens then I'm happy. Although I've read here that the bit-rate isn't twice as high between the 60 and 30 fps options on other 60 fps Aiptek models, so there's bound to be some compression artifacts.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 2:52 PM   #48

Okay, I put 3 cameras on the same stand, hit record, and then did a few golf swings. The cameras were the Canon SD850, Aiptek GO-HD+, and the Aiptek HSHD. The Canon can only record at 640 by 480, but I used it as a reference camera to compare the Aipteks to. The videos in the links posted haven't been edited in any way:

Aiptek HSHD at 720p and 60 fps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=962XQ9EY

Aiptek HSHD at 720p and 30 fps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z5QWYYYQ

Aiptek GO-HD at 720p and 30 fps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6PZ3SVXD

Canon SD850 at 480p and 30 fps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M39GQIRG

My thoughts are that the Canon shows good color contrast and clarity. The Aipteks aren't nearly as good, but the HSDS does indeed capture the golf swing better with the 60 fps mode even if there's a few more slight artifacts in the picture. There isn't a huge difference between the GO-HD and the HSDS at the 30 fps mode. The HSDS footage can be improved quite a bit with post processing for contrast, gamma, and video noise. Verdict: I like it for analyzing golf swings and as a general use camcorder.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:31 PM   #49

Hi all, Richard from the UK here. I'm a new owner of the Aiptek AHD-100, Which I believe is called the HD-1 in the US. I'm new this so please correct me if I am wrong.

I've had a little play around with it this evening and I have my first video up:

http://vimeo.com/2270830

I'll be looking to post some day light videos when I get the chance (its dark when I go to work, dark when I get home....gotta love the winter!)

Let me know what your expert eyes make of this and I look forward to contributing more posts in the future.
sotonrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:05 PM   #50

Welcome aboard Sotonrich,

excellent vide. with a lil editing will fix the lighting it is all normal.......

looking foward to samples and thank you forposting in both areas :|

sotonrich wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, Richard from the UK here. I'm a new owner of the Aiptek AHD-100, Which I believe is called the HD-1 in the US. I'm new this so please correct me if I am wrong.

I've had a little play around with it this evening and I have my first video up:

http://vimeo.com/2270830

I'll be looking to post some day light videos when I get the chance (its dark when I go to work, dark when I get home....gotta love the winter!)

Let me know what your expert eyes make of this and I look forward to contributing more posts in the future.