Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:48 AM   #1

http://vimeo.com/1729472 video preview

Aiptek HSHD ccd 720P model. Circuitcity vamp

Aiptek HD-1 cmos 720P Model Aiptek orginal.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

Welcome to another great topic, stepping foward once again with the newest released models shown today Saturday Sept 13th 2008 Sunday sept 14th 2008.

Reviewing both sites

Aiptek circuitcity linked

The HD-1 model CMOS senser 5 megSells at 150.00 (149.99) IHD12X free car charger, and USB/AC charger. 1280x720 H264 video @30FPS (up to) a 1 gig internal memory (built in) in Quicktime.Mov format (mac), ext slot of up to 32 gig sdhc slot, 848x480 @ 60F (up to) HD video. Mp3 player. 4X dig Zoom w/ Fixed focus. HDTV component output. Up to 8 meg-pix cam Interpolated.. 2.4 screen reversable lcd. Night shot. Easy charging via AC / Usb

The HSHD Model CCDsenser 3 megsells at 150.00 (149.99) APKHSHD 720P @ 60FPS 2.4 inch screen reversable Internal memory of 2 gig ext SDHC card unknown. 4x dig Zoom. recharge via USB / ac charger. Lower level light. 3 meg pixal Auto focus. red eye flash.

Reading the Info provided it seems we have Two New models, the HD-1 and HSHD. Aiptek correctly displays the info, andalso has a PDF manual of a few pages in English, while CC very uncertain of resolution and oother info they provide to hold true or not.

Aipteks two new Models may just be the exact same one, until we, the consumer goes out, purchases one and finds that the info we research is all wrong.

They are claiming a Lower level video, which to all of us means a better nighttime shoot. While nothing is ever mentioned aboutsound. So we will all be guessing again. We once requested highly on video resolution, then thesound proformance, andnow an Ext mic input, while always improving with a firmware fix that would lead to a failure, due to minipulating not just sound but trying to sharpen the video, noise levels and more. If Aiptek stepped back taken the time to review what we had to say over and over

manual controls are needed ,where we can ajust our own sharpness levels, sound levels and vividness..

I am sure we are anchous to see some samples, and how it will hold up, while another new model is introduced and soon to air:

the Aiptek Action HD pro, and already a few sample shots are up, sound is eathier too strong or in an incorrect scene. Video is as well to hard on the reds, but rather bash it lets see if others can produce their clips to share so we can decide further.

as i continue this post lets hope this gets out there so all are informed..........

Fishy

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:43 AM   #2

I can't find the HSHD PDF manual, would you have the link Fishy?

Thanks in advance.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:07 PM   #3

Sorry CC like i sid may or may not be giving a correct info. Aip's first CCd sensor HMMMM

only and when only Aipte.com introduces a cam will it have all its info at Aiptek CC will not

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
I can't find the HSHD PDF manual, would you have the link Fishy?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:26 AM   #4

price is up at 150.00 sept 21 2008
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:29 PM   #5

Since nobody else seems to have taken the plunge on this one, I was in Circuit City Saturday and they had a couple of HSHDs on the rack. Store price was $149.00 but I got it for the online advertised price of $139.00

I've been waiting for a low end hybrid camera like this with an external mic jack. I'll also probably get the Z600/AVG when it comes out and try it as well.

My first out of the box experience was not very auspicious. The battery provided was not long enough to make contact with the battery contacts. I had to shim the bottom of the battery to force it up against the contacts before it would go into charge mode.

I tried some quick tests with some dynamic and condenser (battery powered) lavalier mics I have on hand. The external mic does override the internal mic, but I wasn't sure at first. The screen icon doesn't come on that the manual says is supposed to come on when an external mic is attached.

The dynamic mic output was too hot and there was a lot of clipping, distortion and popping. I'm wondering if the the external mic disables the AGC? The condenser mic output was not high enough to drive it directly, but the upshot was the output was very quiet with it plugged in and the internal mic disabled.

I'm going to run some more tests as time permits to measure the inherent noise output of the unit and see if I can get it running on the condenser lavalier mic running through a preamp. I'll post some clips and results as I create them.

I have a ticket in to Aiptek about 3 items
1. The external mic icon does not work per the manual
2. The battery / battery compartment issue
3. The lack of two menu items listed in the manual but not present in the unit for an on-screen histogram and disabling icons.

I have also asked how to check the firmware. If anybody has an idea of how to do it on this model I'd appreciate it. The controls are pretty spartan and I've tried most of the control combinations posted for other models.

Chipguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:37 AM   #6

Chip. Welcome aboard............

SWEET glad I passed the mic was a guess due to sites missleading info.

maybe a return see if a new model will ahve a working unit. rather wait 2 months for a fix.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:01 AM   #7

Chipguy, have you got any clips, and idea of the datarate, or if it does a clear instant live HD picture through it's component/hdmi during filming?

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:33 AM   #8

I noticed Aiptek updated their site over the weekend and the What's New page now has the HDHS and HD-1 listed as separate units. Main difference seems to be the HDHS is 2Gig internal memory with external mic and the HD-1 is 1Gig internal memory with no external mic.

HDHS Link

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...;Store_Code=AS

HD-1

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...;Store_Code=AS

They also have the individual manual links at the bottom of the page

In short - HDHS Features are :
  • 1280 x 720 H.264 Video @60fps[/*]
  • 1280 x 720 H.264 Video @30fps[/*]
  • (Also 848 x 480 WVGA H.264 @ 60fps)[/*]
  • 2GB Built-in Storage[/*]
  • MOV Video Format[/*]
  • 32GB SDHC Card Slot Expansion[/*]
  • External Microphone Jack[/*]
  • MP3 Player[/*]
  • 2x Digital Zoom w/ Fixed Focus[/*]
  • HDTV Component Output[/*]
  • Up to 3 Mega Pixel Digital Camera (actually fixed at 3M)[/*]
  • 2.4" Swivel-Reversible LCD[/*]
  • Night Shot[/*]
  • Easy Charging via AC or USB[/*]
and HD-1 Features (unconfirmed)
  • 1280 x 720 H.264 Video @60fps[/*]
  • ( I assume 1280 x 720 H.264 Video @30fps as well)
    [/*]
  • 848 x 480 Video @60fps[/*]
  • 1GB Built-in Storage[/*]
  • MOV Video Format[/*]
  • 32GB SDHC Card Slot Expansion[/*]
  • NO External Microphone Jack[/*]
  • MP3 Player[/*]
  • 4x Digital Zoom w/ Fixed Focus[/*]
  • HDTV Component Output[/*]
  • Up to 8 Mega Pixel Digital Camera[/*]
  • 2.4" Swivel-Reversible LCD[/*]
  • Night Shot[/*]
  • Easy Charging via AC or USB[/*]
The still image size in the HDHS is fixed at 3 Megapixels. The "up to" bit in the specs is misleading. Don't know if the HD-1 can be changed or not.

The manuals seem to be in a state of flux. The new HDHS manual online also shows a QVGA 30fps mode that my manual does not. There is no option in my camera for this mode.

Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:21 AM   #9

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Chipguy, have you got any clips, and idea of the datarate, or if it does a clear instant live HD picture through it's component/hdmi during filming?

Thanks.
Wayne

I took a quick 10 second clip at each resolution and ran it through GSpot v2.70. The results it gives are as follows.

1280x720 30fps
10 second file size 5.27MB
Audio 48KHz 128Kb/s MPEG4 AAC LC
Video 4.229 Mb/s @29.971 fps

1280x720 60fps
10 second file size 8.20MB
Video 6.322 Mb/s @59.923 fps

848x480 60fps
10 second file size 5.503MB
Video 4.174 Mb/s @59.923 fps

I haven't tried looking at the live output yet, but will add that to the test queue.

As far as clips go, I'm compiling some qualitative test clips of my color and resolution test patterns at various light levels. I'll post them as soon as I complete them.

I'm setting up to take images at various light levels of my resolution target, gray scale card and color reference card with tungsten and daylight fluorescent lighting. I'm going to look at the resulting video output with something like OnLocation to look at the color balance and video levels under the different light levels measured with my Lux meter.

On the audio side I'm trying out various microphones and white noise generator to try and look at the audio noise floor and spectral resonse of the internal and external mics.

I can't help it..........I'm an engineer....... subjective landscape and fluffy bunny clips are entertaining but don't tell me much about how one camera stacks up against another and are highly subject to both user post production encoding and the re-encoding of many of the host sites.

Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:22 AM   #10

More cameras to check out, and we are just getting to check this one out. People are wandering what is happening, if you look at the SD line up's of hybrid companies they tend to have a lot of similar models, and now there seems to be a lot of similar HD models.

The HDHS is said to be 1.6mp. This number rang bells, and now i realise it was because there are a few cameras that I do not enjoy the performance of.

The HD-1 is likely using a higher mpixel sensor (hopefully not the one I am thinking that would be related to the other one).

Still if it doesn't have more bit rate, a better picture (better latitude, lower light, lower noise) then is it anymore worth having over the 1440/720p models.

Now I have to find out how the HD1 compares.