Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:52 AM   #31

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
MAGIX Movie Studio 14 PLUS differs from Magix Movie Studio 14 in that the "PLUS" version supports 99 tracks instead of just 32 tracks.

Both Magix programs offer professional-level power and, therefore, if you like very simple video editing programs then you might not like the Magix programs.

I've used professional-level programs in the past, so the Magix program is quite easy to learn and use.

I tried Pinnacle Studio and it was just too buggy; it couldn't even pull video off of a DVD disc that had been recorded in a DVD camcorder without errors.

If you want something really simple, then I'd look at either the CyberLink PowerDirector or the Serif MoviePlus X3.

I believe Magix is going to challenge Adobe Premiere Pro with this new program "Video Pro X," which is only available in Germany, currently.

"Video Pro X" by Magix even supports high-end HD formats such as Sony's XDCam:
If that's the only real difference then it sounds like I'll just trial the regular version as $45 for the download version is a lot more palatable to my budget.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:25 AM   #32

14 plus is 65.00

i concider your options.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:41 PM   #33

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
14 plus is 65.00

i concider your options.
I take it you got that price from amazon.com :G as it's $85 just for the download version alone on their own website. The regular (non plus) version on amazon.com is just $38.

The regular version looks like it's plenty for my purposes. I am also making sure they are stable on Vista 64-bit as there are no true native 64-bit video editors yet.

I am playing with it at the moment and so far it does seem better than Corel Video Studio. I like the way you can drag clips on top of each other to do automatic fades.

Old Sep 21, 2008, 2:03 PM   #34

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
14 plus is 65.00

i concider your options.
I take it you got that price from amazon.com :G as it's $85 just for the download version alone on their own website. The regular (non plus) version on amazon.com is just $38.

The regular version looks like it's plenty for my purposes. I am also making sure they are stable on Vista 64-bit as there are no true native 64-bit video editors yet.

I am playing with it at the moment and so far it does seem better than Corel Video Studio. I like the way you can drag clips on top of each other to do automatic fades.

sorry frys.com they just raisedtheir price a lil higher. wi await the promotion again.

you canalwaysextend the trial before you officially buy. but ifyou got a sweet deal then its fine if not and the deal goes sour oops...
Old Sep 21, 2008, 7:28 PM   #35

I think I am beginning to like this Magix Movie software. At least so far. I have been playing with it today to edit a DVD camcorder movie the I took with my btrother-in-laws kids birthday. It's his camcorder, not mine.At first I did come across what seemed like a serious problem in that the DVD burning portion wouldn't work for me!
I found out that itseems the problem is with VOB files and supposedly you could fix that by turning of the smart rendering, though why you would need to is a bit odd, as said in their support forum. Anyway I tried turning off the smart rendering and it didn't make any difference so I had to try a different tactic andbypassed the problem by just exporting to a DVD ready MPEG2 file and then justreimporting to a new movie project. I could then create the DVD no problem.I am sure this won't be the lastproblem I come across but I managed to complete my project. It seems it allows you to import and edit VOB files, but it has problems when burning the them back to a DVD.

Inoticed that it won't import mySanyo C40 mp4 fileswhich I would've thought it would support. I can get over this by using mp4cam2avi. Should magix support the Sanyo mp4 format?

I deliberately haven't bothered to read any instructionssince I wantto see how 'intuitive' it is and so far have been able to work out various functions on my own.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 7:31 PM   #36

For MPEG-4 support, with the purchased version, you have to click HELP and then "activate" use of the MPEG-4 codec. This is FREE. But it's necessary.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 7:34 PM   #37

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
For MPEG-4 support, with the purchased version, you have to click HELP and then "activate" use of the MPEG-4 codec. This is FREE. But it's necessary.
Great! Pity it isn't testable before purchase. That was the one thing holding me back was that Corel Videostudio imported it no problem, but I like what I see in Magix.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:21 AM   #38

are you sayingyou cannot trial magix?

I did justjust that 6 weeks.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:23 AM   #39

He's saying you *can* trial Magix.

However, the MPEG-4 support in the *purchased* version has to be *activated* (although this is a FREE activation).

The trial version probably doesn't have the MPEG-4 support, I would guess.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:23 AM   #40

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
are you sayingyou cannot trial magix?

I did justjust that 6 weeks.
Fishycomics, if you read my posts you will see that I am indeed using the trial but from what Private Idaho is saying you can only activate the mpeg4 support on the purchased version, or can you do this on the trial? Having said that, I am a bit confused since the trial obviously does support mpeg4 since I can load the Sanyo files if I convert them to an AVI container. I assume the activation is to allow the use of the mp4 container?