Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:44 PM   #81

I grabbed AVS video edior 4 beta for free, it does a great deal ofstuff in H264 codec hd format.

WMM is a modified editer allowing minpulations to XMLs creating your own trans and efx.... and t times difficult to work with in hdformats.

TME yes the one given media impressions is not HD video downgrades......... while tme is Hd andway too basic, but does its job for a low budget cam.

some other older cams gave videoworks 6, powerdirecter3 all great programs as well.

now magix 15 plus germany base can be trialed and looks awesome.

I like magix for the price i pad
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 4:19 AM   #82

260DET wrote:
Quote:
Rather than start another topic thought I'd pop in here, give you guys a bit of a break from your high end stuff 8)

Basic editing for a newbie using a Digilife DDV-1080HD and Windows XP - Windows Movie Maker or Arcsoft Total Media Extreme? The latter does not seem very good http://www.arcsoft.com/en/forum/foru...s.asp?TID=1130 but then WMM may not much good either.

By basic editing I mean - cutting and joining, titles, soundtracks and simple touches like fadeouts. So, what do you reckon?
I personally didn't like the arcsoft software . I have tried Magix,vegas and cyberlink's power director and after testing them all I decided to get magix movie edit pro 14 plus .

Now I'm waiting for the pro version to release and decide if I am going to upgrade to it. LOL, who am I kidding. I will. :G
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 3:56 PM   #83

This question is for Private Idaho or anyone who is using Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 PLUS.

When you are done editing your video, what format and settings do you EXPORT your movie as? I want NO loss in quality or resolution. I am filming in 1080p with .MOV files Do you export back to Quicktime? or Mp4?

davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:56 PM   #84

260DET wrote:
Quote:
Rather than start another topic thought I'd pop in here, give you guys a bit of a break from your high end stuff 8)

Basic editing for a newbie using a Digilife DDV-1080HD and Windows XP - Windows Movie Maker or Arcsoft Total Media Extreme? The latter does not seem very good http://www.arcsoft.com/en/forum/foru...s.asp?TID=1130 but then WMM may not much good either.

By basic editing I mean - cutting and joining, titles, soundtracks and simple touches like fadeouts. So, what do you reckon?
WMM does thebasic tasks you want, but the XP version is not set up for HD processing very well. The Vista version has several HD output presets and is much better at HD processing. BUT, if your input file is using H.264 video codec, you need to get that codec since it's not included with WMM. FFDshow-tryouts is the best codec package for this (freeware)
jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:03 PM   #85

As far as I know, the only HD video format that lets one...

1. acquire
2. edit
3. output

...without conversion -- and even this is theoretical -- is AVCHD.

I say theoretical because many non-linear software video editors force re-encoding of AVCHD... they don't really edit it with "changes-only" rendering... because the software writers are still trying to figure out how to do that.

Moreover, virtually all low-cost hybrids that utilize H.264, which is a little different from AVCHD, and require conversion to some other format.

I look at it this way. In Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 PLUS, I can output in Microsoft's WMV-HD format and distribute that in 720p format on a disc that will play in the drives of most computer users and they'll be able to see the HD video on their computers. I could also output to Blu-ray Disc or to the now-defunct "HD DVD" format (if I were inclined to buy a high definition disc burner). Or I can output via Quicktime using a 960 x 540 @ 30 frames per second format specifically designed for viewing from the hard disk of my Apple TV device to my HDTV.

I'm not inclined to buy "HD DVD" or "Blu-ray Disc" because I believe HD downloads will rule the day, eventually. So my two favorite distribution formats are:

1. 960 x 540 @ 30 frames per second to my Apple TV
2. 720p (1280 x 720 @ 30 frames per second) on Microsoft WMV-HD discs

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:00 AM   #86

Thank you so much for the info, Private Idaho.

I had no idea that the .MOV (Quicktime h.264) files that my DXG-595v camera records could not be output back into the same format after editing.

I think I agree with your choice of formats for output as far as WMV-HD. My goal is to make a HD movie that the most people can view and I think WMV-HD videos play on any windows machine that has Windows Media Player 11. Even though I am curious how one would play the HD-DVD format output. Magix says it will output HD-DVD format to REGULAR DVDs. They don't mention what software it would take to play those DVDs.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:05 AM   #87

The best ever method is to use Xilisoft HD Video Converter or 4Media HD Video Converter. Once you put the video in the program, then you can convert it to any other HD format and extention with excelent quality!!! In addition, I made some improvements in the core of the program by myself so that to increase the bitrate and some other very important parameters... Just try it and forget about any other complicated softwares and methods.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:53 PM   #88

Right, you can put "HD DVD" images on regular DVDs that will play in "HD DVD" hardware *or* software players.

But -- some viewers might not understand that.

They might try to play the regular DVD disc -- with the "HD DVD" image -- in a regular DVD player.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:05 PM   #89

By the way, it's also possible to burn a "Blu-ray Disc" image to a regular DVD disc to create what's called an "AVCHD disc." But this type of disc will only play in a hardware or software "Blu-ray Disc" player. And Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus may not support this type of disc. I haven't checked to find out.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:34 PM   #90

I just used Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus to edit movies from my DXG 595v camera today for the first time.

I decided to export my finished product to WMV-HD format at 1080p.

I am very happy with the quality of WMV-HD format at1080p. The files will also play on any windows machine with Windows Media Player 10 or 11 or XBOX 360.

I've decided that burning to blu-ray or HD-DVD format is pretty useless since it requires special software or special hardware to play those formats.

The only other format I might like to covert to is the MKV/x264 format but I have no idea how to export or convert files into that format.

I also just got Adobe Premiere CS4 today but havn't tried it out yet. I am curious to see if it will handle importing the files from my DXG 595v camera without converting them.