Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:05 PM   #1

I don't know if anyone has posted anything like this already. If so, sorry ahead of time.

I noticewhen recordingin a quiet setting, that you can hear the zoom motor going in and out when using it. So, being the curious type I decided to find where it is coming from.

For prelimary testing I have rotated the lcd screen in different directions (since, the mic is located there)while recording to find out which directionthe noise isbeing picked upfrom. Well,I found the noise was the same from any direction the lcd was turned.

Next , I did the samething with the audio speaker covered and the body and found the noise was still there.

Now, I covered the mic. WOW! the noise level increased by 100%.

Next, Itook a sound level meter and listened to the unit while working the zoom and found the noise level is greatest at the lcd screen. At this point I believe the noise is being channeled by vibration to the lcd screen and the mic is picking it up.

Now that I have (I believe) found vibration is the cause of the noise. I am going to attempt to reduce it.

I'll update my progress.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:28 AM   #2

Ok, I have now disassembled my Action HD and have discovered the way it is designed there is not much I can do. The only thing I wonder now is there some way to insulate the mic inside the lcd panel to dampen the noise and or vibration from the zoom mechanism.

Maybe, a better choice will be tolearn not to zoom in real quiet recordings. :-)
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:58 AM   #3

I hear ya.

it is old been talked about since the GO-HD. firmwar fixed it lowered thegear noise.. but always present, the cam will get hot, with new FW all fixed .

I like the Mic on the screen in ways but can be a pain if you are narratting you turn the screen around less wind noise and well cannot see what you're recording

this is where

Aiptek needs to listen to us and just add a function called

Wind noise or gain control in increments

if you got this aprt pics are always welcomed

the Mic should be sodered to the board on the lcd screen like the IS-DV model so not much can be done

like to see what you're modding or fix is great job

Maxprime wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I have now disassembled my Action HD and have discovered the way it is designed there is not much I can do. The only thing I wonder now is there some way to insulate the mic inside the lcd panel to dampen the noise and or vibration from the zoom mechanism.

Maybe, a better choice will be tolearn not to zoom in real quiet recordings. :-)
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote