Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 19, 2008, 6:15 PM   #1

Aiptek's Web site now features a brand new model called the "Aiptek Hi-Speed HD 720p" WITH EXTERNAL MICROPHONE INPUT!!!

This does NOT appear to be the same as the European model (AHD Z600).

UNFORTUNATELY, there appears to be no support for a REMOTE CONTROL.

Why do these camcorder manufacturers drop bread crumbs on the ground for us?

Anyway... here's the link:

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:33 PM   #2

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:53 PM   #3

Yes, I saw your earlier mention of this camcorder model, but you buried the leading news, Fishy! I didn't see mention of the EXTERNAL MICROPHONE INPUT until I read way down into your post and if you check the CIRCUIT CITY Web site...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aipte...l.do#prodspecs

...there's no mention of the EXTERNAL MICROPHONE INPUT in the listed specifications.

Apparently, Circuit City doesn't realize a lot of people would like to know this feature is available.

But it's too bad there's no REMOTE CONTROL capability.

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:23 AM   #4

With a 1.6MP sensor, this hybrid is more camcorder than still camera. No remote but MP3 is back.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:05 AM   #5

Good news, they are claiming around 9mb/s for the 720p60 (still needs more to match per pixel with the 1440*1080p30 modes they use on other cameras, but a start).

When I read 3mp, I was disappointed, but thought I could live with that for photo usage. But it is actually 1.6mp which reminds me of a sensor I don't like, but I can't remember which. Are the sensors in this and the z600 from the same manufacturer. We wanted rolling shutter gone, but with at least the quality as the existing senor in other areas.

I would be more happy with the price if it was 5mp. I hope it has extra features like lockable settings (and user mode that retains the settings on startup), and absolutely beautiful rendering of the picture. Bring it on Aiptek, we're waiting .

I still want to see how well this does, I will be eyeing like a hawk interpolation. I hope tit is still a 2.5inch sensor or bigger, because latitude should be as good as the current batch because of the large sensor pads.

A comment on the z600 pictures and red problems, this is usually a processing or sensor problem, and a simple firmware fix should be able to get rid of it on the ambarella cameras. If the sensor outputs 8bit color with the gamma response curves set to that, then it will probably reduce red accuracy to get rid of, but if they use modern adjustable response curve setups and 10bit output, with 14 bit processing this should be able to be eliminated quiet adequately.

However, as per the recent discussion with rgvcam, and his point, this color issue is worrying.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:39 PM   #6

I would prefer a camera that has a lower MP rating since the pixel density would be lower which usually means, but not always of course, better low light ability. The proof will be in the pudding so to speak when we see some example low light clips. I am not holding my breath that it will be anything special of course.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:49 PM   #7

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Good news, they are claiming around 9mb/s for the 720p60 (still needs more to match per pixel with the 1440*1080p30 modes they use on other cameras, but a start).
The bitrates seem to be the same as their other models if you look at the chart of memory size vs video length.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:10 PM   #8

Your right. So this figure might mean very little. I think most all the 720p60 clips I have from those cameras are 5-6mb/s average, maybe one or so in the low 7mb/s, and they still produce blurry blobs. I knew I saw that 9mb/s figure before, what is it with short changing 720p60, 1440 has less pixels per second at 30fps, but is usually encoded at around 9mb/s average (and 595v seems higher again).

This is their disclaimer:
Note: The actual number of pictures stored may vary by 30% depending on the resolution... The table above is for reference only.

Why not just quote the 720p60 at 30% less.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:49 PM   #9

I just got this puppy for 150 dollars at Amazon. My impression after an hour of fooling around with it is that it takes very good movies in well lit areas. Especially outdoors. And it is a lot lighter and 20 percent smaller than the GO-HD. The low light capabilities are good too, although it gets grainy. Even with normal indoor lighting it is slightly grainy, but this is expected. But I didn't really expect it to see much at all in some darker rooms and it did pick up a decent amount of detail.

As a camera, don't even bother with it indoors unless you have the blinds open during the daytime.

I really bought this to analyze my golf swing since it can do 60 frames per second and am looking forward to using it.
fuzz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:53 AM   #10

Has anyone figured out how to play back your hi speed recording as slow mo? Videos play back in regular speed on the camera and also Quicktime.
losteaglescout is offline   Reply With Quote