Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:10 PM   #121

Privite Idaho: On the first page of the Aiptek Action HD review it states the bitrate for a 1440x1080 30fps video is 7.4Mbps. Looking at the DXG-595V Feast of the Hunter's Moon video in MediaInfo it shows 10Mbps for a 1920x1080 (it's Anamorphic 1440x1080) 30fps. I agree that numbers are important, but one must also take into consideration the other aspects that numbers alone do not reflect when trying to make a wise camcorder purchase. Things like build quality, form factor, company support, accessories included, exc…I know you realize this, but in this world we some times get to caught up in the numbers game. When I'm selling someone a HD TV I often have to tell them, compare the actual picture among the various models, just don't look onlyat the spec's listed.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:13 AM   #122

While I understand what you're saying, I do believe the problem -- sometimes -- in this forum, in particular, isn't "too many numbers" but is -- instead -- too few numbers.

:G

If 10 Mbps is accurate for the top-of-the-line DXG, then that would beat the Aiptek Action HD's top video bit rate by about 3 Mbps and that would be significant.

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:40 AM   #123

remember this is a low cost hybrid, and keep within the limits if you tend to go out of the relm or box, then you expect the obvious.......................
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:43 AM   #124

It seems the top bit rate of the Sanyo VPC-HD100 -- based on the info provided in this thread -- is only around 8 Mbps. I can't even find this model in two local Wal-Mart's so it's a moot point, but I would not be inclined to buy it for that reason.

I'd have to see its video to know for sure, but the DXG-595v would seem to feature the highest bit rate and, therefore, that model would seem to be the "king" of the low-cost hybrids.

Still, the Sanyo would seem to be a contender... within the top three or four choices.

It really depends on individual preferences.

For example, if a remote control is really important to you, then the Aiptek Action HD or the Aiptek A-HD+ models would be hard to beat.

If high bit rates are most important to you, then the DXG-595v would seem to be the one to buy.

If you like the Sanyo form factor, then that would be the one to buy.

Hey, at least we have *some* choices; but I still think the manufacturers could do better.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:51 AM   #125

My wife and are saw the Sanyo Hd100 in red at the local walmart and we are very interested in it. i am trying to do some research on it before we purchase it but i am having trouble finding much out about it. I saw the video you posted and was very impressed with the quality of the video for the price. But in some of the descriptions of the other Sanyo video/still photo cameras i saw that they offer the capability to take still photos while recording video. But i cant find anything about this function for the HD100, i was wondering since you already have this camera if you could tell me if this function is also available with the VPC HD-100??
mafigueroa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:01 PM   #126

mafigueroa2005: I do not believe you can, I do not see it listed in the manual, and the cam only has one button that is used for both captureing video and captureing stills. I tried to see if I could do this by pressing the other buttons on the cam but it would not take a still while videoing.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:02 PM   #127

OK thank you so much for trying.
figueroa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:09 PM   #128

going offtopic or not:

look int he sanyo section under Sanyo Xacti Hd800 or at their site. the latest Sanyo has that capability, not the HD100 or may it with it being a lowend model, at the top end of the Low budget camcordrs software today may be able to grab just that.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 1:46 PM   #129

mafigueroa2005 wrote:
Quote:
My wife and are saw the Sanyo Hd100 in red at the local walmart and we are very interested in it. i am trying to do some research on it before we purchase it but i am having trouble finding much out about it. I saw the video you posted and was very impressed with the quality of the video for the price. But in some of the descriptions of the other Sanyo video/still photo cameras i saw that they offer the capability to take still photos while recording video. But i cant find anything about this function for the HD100, i was wondering since you already have this camera if you could tell me if this function is also available with the VPC HD-100??
The problem is that, apart from the HD800, all previous models paused the video for a few seconds while taking the still image. So it's only really useful, if you are in a situation where you absolutely need to take a higher resolution image at the expense of an annoying pause in your video.

Unlike my Sanyo C40 which only takes standard definition video, if you are in a situation where you might need a few decent stills, I would just make sure you are shooting in the high def mode of 1440x1080. That way you can extract stills from the video itself. They are basically the equivalent of a 1.5MP camera and are often surprisingly good in that mode which is enough to get a decent 6x4" print.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:17 AM   #130

Great, Thanks to everyone for all of your help! I explained the situation to my wife that will be able to extract the stills from the hi def video that is taking atleast 30fps so it shouldnt be a problem for any kind of picture that she may want.
figueroa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote