Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:09 PM   #131

I bought one of these yesterday and took a few vid clips inside my house. I connected it to my LG Scarlet 47LG60 via component and the vid quality was terrible. You guys that are posting clips are getting gorgeous vid quality compared to what I'm getting. It looks great on the little LCD of the camera but very fuzzy and blurred once connected to the TV and played back. What settings to I need to get better quality vids?

Also when playing the vid on my TV the TV display does show that its receiving a 1080i signal.
brentsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:49 PM   #132

If you shot low light video indoors- the video quality isn't the best........try reshooting some outdoor footage on a tripod- it's really quite good- let us know what u think.
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:22 AM   #133

how can i use 1440x1080 video in my editor, that wants it to be 1920x1080?
sigh
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:49 AM   #134

F1 key normally gives you some info right, but we cannot give you any if we do not know what editer you're referring to:G

kiyoshi_music wrote:
Quote:
how can i use 1440x1080 video in my editor, that wants it to be 1920x1080?
sigh
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:18 AM   #135

imovie, but i could also use FCP
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:46 PM   #136

i have this also but have you found a replacement battery for it
kenandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:57 AM   #137

NO I HAVE NOT
i need 2 extra batteries and walmart doesnt sell them.
well, people at walmart are dumb anyway, so who knows...

its a 3.7v battery, i'll goto Fry's and MicroCenter tomorrow and let you know what i find in terms of which brand/type works.

this is a GREAT camera.
i know the GVS and A-HD1080p gets more attention, but the HD100 from sanyo is GREAT.

pros:
1) it has 5x optical
2) VERY nice form factor, and seems to be thinner than aipteks
3) great 6.2mbit/sec bitrate
4) exports to mp4 files that are easily read and played
5) great microphone
6) GREAT LED LIGHTS for closeup shots in lowlight
7) night mode is quite good

cons:
1) only supports up to 8gb cards
2) cant charge via camera - must remove battery and charge it separately
3) no 60fps
4) no stabilization
5) 200usd
7) only red!

im getting a GVS soon due to ext mic input for recording bands, but the sanyo HD100 is SO MUCH BETTER for interviewing ppl in dark situations, so ill be using both and splicing videos together

the following vid is shot at 1280x800 with hd100, then 1/2 scaled to 640x360. you may not find it appropriate, though, so bewarned (we're all drunk at 4am):

www.viddyou.com/kiyoshi
Old Dec 31, 2008, 7:35 AM   #138

I look at that Model every time I am in Wallyworld.

the cam has more MORE manual controls, scenic, sharpness ISO settings EV settings, makes it a better cam over others.

If the screen was not 2.4 and was 2.7 SOLD

kiyoshi_music wrote:
Quote:
NO I HAVE NOT
i need 2 extra batteries and walmart doesnt sell them.
well, people at walmart are dumb anyway, so who knows...

its a 3.7v battery, i'll goto Fry's and MicroCenter tomorrow and let you know what i find in terms of which brand/type works.

this is a GREAT camera.
i know the GVS and A-HD1080p gets more attention, but the HD100 from sanyo is GREAT.

pros:
1) it has 5x optical
2) VERY nice form factor, and seems to be thinner than aipteks
3) great 6.2mbit/sec bitrate
4) exports to mp4 files that are easily read and played
5) great microphone
6) GREAT LED LIGHTS for closeup shots in lowlight
7) night mode is quite good

cons:
1) only supports up to 8gb cards
2) cant charge via camera - must remove battery and charge it separately
3) no 60fps
4) no stabilization
5) 200usd
7) only red!

im getting a GVS soon due to ext mic input for recording bands, but the sanyo HD100 is SO MUCH BETTER for interviewing ppl in dark situations, so ill be using both and splicing videos together

the following vid is shot at 1280x800 with hd100, then 1/2 scaled to 640x360. you may not find it appropriate, though, so bewarned (we're all drunk at 4am):

http://www.viddyou.com/kiyoshi
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:36 AM   #139

in the end, i think the A-HD and A-HD GVS are great models, but the sanyo HD100 has its place

the A-HD is a great deal if you can get it for 100 USD or less
the A-HD GVS has a much better microphone, image stabilization, and ext mic support

so, why the Sanyo HD100, then?

well, the Sany HD100 does not have any image stabilization, nor does it have any 60fps modes... but the form factor + LED lights almost make up for it, depending on your use.

LED lights are almost useless unless your subject is within a few feet of you, but if so, it makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world. if you're shooting in scenarios like i am (you're probably not, lol) - it's great... the Sanyo HD100 has a very good microphone that picks up vocals, even in loud environments (night clubs, etc)

the form factor makes it very thin and easy to use, as no edged catch on anything

i've been editing videos from night clubs with the sanyo hd100 with its 1280x720, then scaling it down to 718x404px to be compatible with iphone, yet still look good

if you want to see an example, i've got a good one of low-light conditions, but bewarned i work in a night club and you'd probably find most of this loud, obnoxious, and possibly even offensive....(uhhh) the HD version on youtube is here, but it's not really HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxJzMCqbGFQ
(hit Watch in HD)

i transcoded a .DV file that iMovie v6.0.3 output into a 1280x720 avc h.264 mp4 file with a bit rate of about 5864kbit/sec data rate. The Sanyo HD100's true, raw file the camera makes are about 6200kbit/sec at the same resolution. but, it's almost identical.

http://adultprodigy.com/videos/Adult%20Prodigy%20-%20NYE%202009%[email protected]%20Rich%27s%20(HD).mp4

YES, it does take awhile to focus in lowlight, BUT the LEDs help out so much that it obliterates the GVS with no light. yes, i am aware that you can get an external LED lighting, but then it won't easily fit in your pocket, whichi is a must for my use. perhaps this has helped somebody buy a Sanyo HD100, perhaps not.

you can use NP60 batteries as replacements, i got a 1200mA battery for 18 bucks at Fry's Electronics. the Sanyo HD100 takes up to 8GB SDHD cards, but make sure you format them at FAT32 or else the camera acts up and freezes every 40-50 seconds!

all in all, a great camera. if are shooting in low light and need a thin camera, I would say the SANYO HD100 is better than the Aiptek HD GVS.

if you don't mind an LED attachment or don't care about lowlight - and form factor is not an issue at all, the Aiptek A-HD GVS is the clear winner.

Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:21 AM   #140

Well, I gotta say, after owning this little gem for about a week now, I love it. I know very little about all the tech stuff most of you write about here. I'm a truck driver and I wanted something that could sit on my dashboard and wait for stuff to shoot (and believe me, there's lots of stuff out on the road!).

My first problem has to do with my old computer that runs at a mere 1.5 Gigs. Whew. Had no clue it would cause such a problem playing my videos. So, if I want to look at them on the puter I have to shoot in VGA. But, if I want to look at them on our Sony 52" flat screen hooked to the camera, I can shoot at the highest settings - and the results are great. I'm really surprised at how good this stuff looks. I also found that I won't be able to put any movies together in a 'movie maker' software environment until I upgrade my computer because all of them require a faster CPU than I current have. Drat! There goes my film festival debut...

There is a lag when going from darker environments to lighter in terms of exposure, and the focus isn't instant - but this is a $200 camera. Stephen Spielberg probably doesn't own one, and I'm not shooting the next box office hit (well, I think I am, but...).

Others have mentioned the problems with sometimes pressing the wrong button(s) because of their size and positioning. True story. I've mistakenly thought I was shooting video when I was actually showing a menu but I didn't know it because I had the screen folded back out of the way while I try to shoot and drive at the same time. But as I use it more and more, I'm hoping this goes away with familiarity.

I've used Aiptek cameras in the past (still shot versions) and while they're ok, I wasn't impressed enough with them to try an HD video camera, so I can't compare like others are doing. But for me, this camera fills the bill. And the more I use it and get used to it, the better the stuff coming out of it looks. Practice makes perfect, or at least much better.

I've not had some of the problems others mention, so maybe I just got one that wasn't broke before I opened the box. If you're just a backyard camera buff who shoots family stuff, or like to do 'on the street' video like I do, I think the Sanyo VPC HD100 would be a good choice - for the money.

Mr Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote