Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:29 AM   #141

Welcome to the group Tommy! Sounds like you're having a blast with your new toy and that is what these devices are all about! While we may discuss how 'poor' or 'good' a certain device is, to be honest there isn't really a bad device on the market. Sure a purist or someone used to highend prosumer devices might turn their nose up at them but for the average guy in the street (of which I am a proud member!) they are more than adequate. I used an Aiptek IS-DV which I bought in target for $90 to shoot video of my son in his first year instead of buying an expensive miniDV camcorder which I knew I'd rarely get out. The digital files I have from that camera I even placed on my cellphone to show people. Elderly relatives are often quite awed when you can show them not only a still photo, but actual moving video of your kid from his first year! How often have you wished you had a few videos with you to show on the spur of the moment?

I look at this way, many of our parents may have taken photos using 110 film cameras with small negatives but they were perfectly adequate to capture those moments which are now treasured memories. Better a small cheap camera than not being able to afford one at all!

If you are not in a position to upgrade your PC for a while, I would still shoot in the highest quality HD format the camera can use (or at least the 720p mode), keeping that as the archive file, and then just use a file conversion program to convert it to a more 'processor friendly' format. For instance, you could use a great free multipurpose program like Super from http://www.erightsoft.com to convert it to MPEG2 format, from which you would then be able to burn to a DVD. Of course the conversion may take a bit of time, but it's worth it.

I wouldn't let the lack of CPU power hold you back, because remember once you have shot your movie in a lower format such as VGA, you cannot get back the extra resolution and detail later on! It's the same reason I always shoot digital photos in the highest quality a camera can take. In the past when flash memory cards were very expensive there was a need to be able to shoot in a lower quality and/or resolution but not anymore.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:56 AM   #142

Thanks for the post RGVCAM.

And especially thanks for the tip on "Super". I downloaded a freebie called "QUICKMEDIACONVERTER" but when I converted one of my files to what was supposed to be WMF, Windows Media Player didn't recognize it. I do have version 9 installed already. It also didn't recognize the AVI file I tried to convert to. So now I'll give this "Super" program a try. Looking at the website right now, it sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. In fact, after scanning the page telling what it's supposed to do, I can't imagine there's anything it doesn't do - ha.

Plus, always shooting in the higher resolution makes sense, for exactly the reasons you say. I will start doing that.

After reading about video halting because of slow SDHC cards, I'm hoping my 4 GB SanDisk Ultra II SDHC card does the trick. I don't evnision having video clips longer than maybe a minute or so at a crack anyway (unless I happen to witness another Hudson River landing...).

One stumbling block I ran into was hooking the camera to the TV and getting HD output. It took a bit of fiddling to find out you have to use both cables at the same time to get both sound and video. Whoda thunk? To me, the instructions were a bit vague. But hey, I'm a tinkerer, so eventually I get it right.

I tried to post a link to a video I put up on YouTube but for some reason it wouldn't link properly when I clicked on it, so I gave up on it.
Although if you search the site for "Driving past OJ's House", you might find it.

Thanks agaiin for you insights and suggestions. Plus, I think I'll spend some time today (on my rare day off) and see what else is on this site. Originally my wife found it while we searched the web for info on this Sanyo before we bought it. It was this string that finally convinced me to go for it. So thanks to everyone here!

Mr Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:14 PM   #143

Mr Tommy,

You don't actually need to purchase a highspeed SD/SDHC card with any of these hybrids. The bitrate that they shoot at isn't even high enough to exceed a basic SD card. Just advising, so you don't spend more money on something you isn't necessary. The reason there may be a video problem is more than likely due to brand incompatibility which can happen.

Like the video by the way. Hope you make use of your camera and post some more clips!

I have three cameras myself, an Aiptek MPVR, Sanyo C40 (both VGA) and a $99 HDV178 which shoots in 720p. Here is a clip looking towards my neighbors house that I took when Hurricane Dolly hit: http://www.vimeo.com/1407236

In fact, if you search on 'rgvcam' on vimeo you can find all my videos shot with the HDV178!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:40 PM   #144

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a hybrid movie camera but duing my research I found something that I can't find addressed anywhere.

Does anyone know if the Sanyo VPC-100HD and the SVP T500BK camcorder available from Overstock are the same internals with a slightly different shell? The specs are identical but I like the SVP T500's traditional black shell rather than Sanyo's shinny red shell.

http://tinyurl.com/svpt500 vs http://tinyurl.com/sanyohd100
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:02 PM   #145

I had my Eye on this, and just hesitant. 20.00 less if no tax and fre ship I gt it. all looks the same even the eruopean one by Hitachi is identical

muzzymate wrote: [/b]
Quote:
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a hybrid movie camera but duing my research I found something that I can't find addressed anywhere.

Does anyone know if the Sanyo VPC-100HD and the SVP T500BK camcorder available from Overstock are the same internals with a slightly different shell? The specs are identical but I like the SVP T500's traditional black shell rather than Sanyo's shinny red shell.

http://tinyurl.com/svpt500 vs http://tinyurl.com/sanyohd100
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:39 PM   #146

Default Update

Ok, all you users that bought this camera (about a year ago).
Please post an update as to your review of this Sanyo HD100.

I just bought one (marked down at Wallyworld). I come from the ancient land of the Canon L1. (though I have had a simple Sony Hi8 recently).

John
Btw- I want to thank all the regular posting members of this forum, I have read it for years, but until recently did not have the time to respond in kind.
GraphicWonders is offline   Reply With Quote