Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:53 PM   #11

No 720p60?
Let us know how u like it and be sure to let us see some sample raw video- thanks.
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:14 PM   #12

You know, when Akihabara news carried the release of the HD800 there was a comment made to them by Sanyo Marketing that the "USA would be the last country to get it," or something similar to that.

I am wondering whether Sanyo have done a marketing deal with Walmart. Remember last year when Walmart sold the HD700 so cheaply in the runup to Christmas?

The features of this camera (Video out, etc) seem similar to the HD800. I am intrigued by this. I called my local Walmart, they are gone home already. I will check it out in the morning.

Please get that battery charged, Urgar, I am intrigued about whether the lens system is as limited as the HD700 was ie Whether you lose a lot of the viewing angle when you switch on the anti-shake...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:17 PM   #13

Hey,
Can you pleeeeease post a picture of the box and also of the camera. I ordered a DXG 595v but this might be better if I can find one at walmart.

Thanks!
sonic113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 3:49 PM   #14

I purchased a Sanyo VPC HD100 yesterday at Wal~Mart, it had a sticker price of $199.88 but when I paid for it, it rang up at $162.00. I'm happy with the cam so far, here are some early observations of the unit. It has no optical/digital stabilization. There is only a component HD output (cables included), no HDMI. It can record video while you are monitoring the output using the component cables to a HD TV, but when doing so the resolution is only 480P. When you playback that video file from the cam, it is at 720P (If you have the cam set to record 1280x720). I'm limited at playing back HD video on my computers, as none are faster than a Dual Core at 2.0Ghz. So I'm recording at 1280x720 30fps, the cam can however do 1440x1080 30fps. The video quality at 1280x720 is better than my Jazz HDV178, & HDV188 HD cams. There is less jerking of fast moving objects like cars. I can playback the H264/MP4 video on my computers using the VLC Media Player. I can edit the video/audio using Avidemux, but I have to first convert the MP4 file to an AVI file using the "Pazera Free MP4 to AVI Converter" program, otherwise the video shows up as just green in Avidemux. When converting the MP4 file I choose "Copy" for both video & audio, so that there is no loss in quality (the file is not re-encoded, just put in a AVI container). I then import that AVI file into Avidemux and edit it (trim the video, & Append other video files together). I again choose "Copy" for both video & audio, so that there is no loss in quality when saving the final video file. A downside to this cam is that it must be powered by it's battery. There is no running it off an AC outlet like you can with the Jazz cams. It comes with a separate battery charger. I did find that I can use this charger to charge my 2 Jazz cams batteries, an added plus. The 5X optical zoom is a feature I like over the Jazz cams digital zoom. Like all small cams the buttons are hard to operate as they are so small. The audio it records is in the ACC format. It shows up as 2 channel in VLC but I'm not sure if it is stereo, or just dual mono, it does sound good though. It has a video/still photo light, but I've not tested it yet. It comes with a soft case that has a belt loop. You can rotate the screen so the 2.5 inch monitor rests flat against the cam when recording, and for playback. It seems to me so far to be a good value cam for the money.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 4:57 PM   #15

I am looking for something to replace my HDV178 which is a fun camera and this sounds like this could be a possibility at the price. I think I may take a look at my local Walmart as well.

Could those who just bought it post at least a quick sample for download? Even vimeo will do, as long as you make the original available for download.

I am assuming the video will be about the same as the HD800 which would be plenty good enough for under $200.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 6:54 PM   #16

Please confirm that there is no power socket on the camera, and that it cannot be powered via the USB socket...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 7:01 PM   #17

We're all just dying here for some sample video.
Are the videos in.mov format?
Is the 1440 mode interlaced or progressive (full frames-30-60?)
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:50 PM   #18

The mini USB cable that it uses is a smaller version plug than comes with the Jazz cams AC charger. It has a regular sized USB plug at the other end. I could have rigged the Sanyo and the Jazz cams AC charger together but I just got this thing, and am not willing to go there, at risk of damaging it. I did notice that it is not using the 5.5 volts that is available when connected to the computer, because when I accidently left it on, and connected to the computer, it drained the battery dead. The videos are named "SANYO0001.MP4" and so on. VLC shows them as "Codec:avc1" for the video, and "Codec:mp4a" for the audio. I believe the video is progressive at 1440x1080 because I do not see any interlacing artifacts when playing a clip at this resolution on my computer using VLC. I know the video is progressive at 1280x720 because my HD TV "Info" screen shows 720P. It is strictly a 30fps cam. I'll put up a small video clip on vimo later tonight, and provide a link here when it's uploaded.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:00 PM   #19

I've upload a short 1440x1080 video to vimeo but it states that I'm "Waiting in line" to have the video converted, and that it will be 165 minutes before it is ready. Here is a link to the video "Sample test video from Sanyo VPC-HD100 camcorder".

http://www.vimeo.com/1846070
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:43 PM   #20

Still 55 minutes, so I thought I would log in and download the original but even though the link is there, it says "That video is not yet available". I guess it must lock it while it's being converted.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote