Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:27 AM   #31

I did some audio testing on the cam by recording a video/audio clip with the cams microphone in between a pair of stereo speakers that were playing a song that had good stereo separation. The microphone on the Sanyo is located on the back of the LCD monitor, it has two small holes about 3/16[suP]TH[/suP] inches apart making you think that it has two microphone elements behind the holes. This would lead you to believe that it can record in stereo. I took that video/audio clip and separated (de-muxed) the audio making it a PCM Wave audio file. I then opened it in the Audacity audio editor program. It showed that there were two channels of audio but looking at the waveforms I could not see any difference in the two channels. This leads me to think ether it records in dual channel mono, or that the microphone elements are to close together to effectively produce a stereo image.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:17 AM   #32

Thanks Bobcat,
Do you think you could post the manual online for everyone?

I still can't find anything about this cam online....
sonic113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:27 PM   #33

sonic113: Like I stated in the PM to you, I would be happy to E-mail you this PDF manual. If you want to upload it to a file shareing site for others to download you could.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 1:33 PM   #34

bobcat56458 wrote:
Quote:
1440x1080 with the "Fine" setting uses 8.2Mbps. 1280x720 with the "Fine" setting uses 6.1Mbps. 1280x720 with the "Standard" setting uses 5.1Mbps.
Thanks for the info.
6.1Mbps !! Even though the chip can obviously do 8.2 - Sigh...
Some months ago I posted a message on the Sanyo forum despairing of the way that Sanyo is out of touch with the consumer, particularly the dropping cost of memory cards. There is no longer any need to skimp the bit rate. You would think that Sanyo, of all manufacturers, would have learned that by now.

Sigh. At least my Kodak Z1012 records at 14Mbps DivX. Even the tiny Kodak v1073 uses 14Mbps. DivX is no slouch, as the [email protected] CABAC compression offered by the HD100 is not that much more efficient than the [email protected] BVOP of DivX. The Kodak images look nice, even when they are noisy.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 5:27 PM   #35

Sonic, Bobcat, is the manual online yet? I am dying to look it over, to see how many of the old Sanyo features we know and love are included in this model
Old Sep 30, 2008, 5:51 PM   #36

Trevmar: I left it to sonic113 to put it online, as I do not have a file shareing service that I use. PM me with your E-mail address and I will send it to you. Then you can put it online if you wish.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:24 PM   #37

Any other clips available?
Too bad the vimeo clip is shot thru a window as we know that will degrade image performance- wish we could see a full quality- tripod shot!

As far as the video being 8mbps- that's fine as I've seen stellar video from the Casio EX-F1 at 8mbps and it was stunning!

See here----> http://www.vimeo.com/download/video:...42920972eba55e
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:25 PM   #38

Thanks, Bobcat. I got the manual OK. Made in China, I see :?

So that we can study and discuss it, I have placed the HD100 manual PDF online at URL:
http://trevmar.com/temp/Sanyo-HD100-Manual.pdf

This is not a classic Sanyo HD design, although I was struggling to find something which I couldn't do with the menus provided. One can adjust sharpness, color, and other image parameters.

I couldn't find a High Sensitivity mode, but then, the Night mode may well switch to the 15FPS frame rate. Hard to tell. I guess I will have to buy one and see... This is an intriguing design. Very much like the Sanyos I have used, but a little different...

There is no function during recording equivalent to the "joystick" functions of the HD700, but, on the other hand it seems that the EV value is programmed into and stored by the HD100. This is a HUGE improvement over the HD700 losing the EV preference whenever it went into standby.

Note that the Zoom Lens maintains an excellent F stop - 3.3 to 3.7

Note that on Page EN-11 there is a "DC-Door" (labeled 6). Is there a DC input socket under this door?

Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:46 PM   #39

Trevmar: The DC-Door you are speaking of had me excited, but when I checked it out on the cam I found it is just a little rubber rectangle that is on the front of the battery cover. When you take off the battery cover there is nothing that it connects to, very strange. I see no purpose in having it there? Maybe Sanyo or another third party makes a AC to DC converter that has a connector that is the size of the NP-61 battery when you place this in the battery compartment you can run off of this DC converter. The rubber rectangle might be a hole to run the wires to the converter wall wart, just a thought.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:02 PM   #40

Thanks for the tip - it sure sounds like I should be able to hack some DC-IN. Occasionally I need to be able to plug-in AA cell packs to take advantage of the 1 hour+ recording capability...

I suspect that there should be a socket under that door, but some 'smart' engineer saved 5 cents by leaving it off the bill of materials:-) I suspect that one might be easy enough to add. Who knows - I will have to take a look...