Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:27 PM   #41

So I wonder if the $162 price that rung up is a one off? :G It seems that this camera is being aimed at Aiptek's territory with the addition of the mp3 and of course the price.

The bitrate in the 1280x720 mode is higher than my HDV178 so I am hoping a few more video clips will redeem it. I love the video on my HDV178 but it does suffer from some pixellation on complex vegetation scenes so I want to see how this compares. Also I like the size and design of the Sanyo's more than the Aiptek's. I have been looking for a HD version of my Sanyo C40 but was disappointed in the HD700.

Can you take some still images of scenes with some vertical lines in? ie like a lamp post etc?

Here is an example that I took withthe HD700. Notice how curved the lamp post is!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:22 PM   #42

I've uploaded another video to vimeo, it is 3 trimmed clips from a larger clip. I used the method that I wrote of in my first post of this thread to trim and combine the 3 clips, except when saving the audio in "Pazera Free MP4 to AVI Converter" I converted the audio to a PCM Wav file. When saving the 3 appended & trimmed files in Avidemux I re-encoded the audio back to the ACC format. I did this because I found that if I used the "Copy" function for the audio in "Pazera Free MP4 to AVI Converter" & Avidemux, the audio was messed up. The video from the combined 3 video clips have not been re-encoded, just put in a AVI container. If you choose to download this AVI file "Sanyo VPC-HD100 sample test of combining 3 trimmed clips", you will have to use the VLC Media Player to play it. I've not been able to get any other media player to play it. The video was taken at the 1280x720 resolution, with the "Fine" setting, at a bitrate of 6Mbps.

http://www.vimeo.com/1854459
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:47 PM   #43

Install CoreAVC DirectSource filter and you will be able to play any modern clip, even AVCHD. Yea, I know that the multiprocessor version is $15. Trust me, it is a good investment...

Also, if you install FFDSHOW before you install CoreAVC you will find that Windoze can suddenly play every format that VLC can handle, as VLC uses FFDSHOW/FFMPEG as its core...

If you need to send video from the CoreAVC codec to Virtualdub (or similar VfW utility) then use AVIsynth...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:07 PM   #44

Trevmar: Were you able to download and play that last clip in any media player other than VLC?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:39 PM   #45

No, there seemed to be something wrong with the video coding. It will play in Media Player Classic with FFMPEG and in VLC, but not in AVIsynth with CoreAVC.

AVIdemux does that sometimes. Make sure you have the latest version. Also, to convert from MOV/MP4 to AVI I use MP4cam2avi
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:22 PM   #46

Trevmar: I have the latest version of AVIdemux. I triedMP4cam2avi but it's resulting file did not play with any of my media players, I'll stick to "Pazera Free MP4 to AVI Converter" as it does the job. The problem I thinkis that H.264 in a AVI container is not a good idea, but it is a work around that has to be done to getAVIdemux to show the video as other than green only.

Well my weekend is over (Monday & Tuesday for me) and it's time for bed, but but you've gotta admitt,I've played hard withmy new toy (Sanyo VPC-HD100). I hope you other guys purchase this cam because I need some help in answering questions about this bad boy!
Old Oct 1, 2008, 2:34 AM   #47

According to my calculations, with a 1/2.5 sensor, assuming all the sensor width is used (which the HD700 did not use, but see 'stabilizer' below) , the lens minimum focal length of 6.4mm corresponds to about a 40mm lens in 35mm-equivalence. If there is no typo in the f3.3-f3.7 spec, based on the apparent lack of distortion at the edges of the lens in Bob's early videos, this lens appears to be a real winner at 5x zoom, and adequately wide under normal use.

Note that in the menus, the Image Stabilization can be switched on/off for still-image capture, but not for video (page EN36). So the HD100 seems to have a stabilizer, and I am guessing it is optical or gyroscopic, if it is going to be effective with still images (the CG6 was gyroscopic). Does it remain in effect during video shooting? Hmmm...

On Bob's second Vimeo clip he panned the camera down about 1/3 way through, and I got the feeling that there was stabilization removing the jerkiness from that movement. Hmmm... that would be a coup... if they have designed this as I think they could have, with 4:1 CMOS sensor binning at 1280x720, it would be a winner... I had better get down to Walmart when they open and make sure I get one of these into my grubby hands...

Calculation References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/35_mm_e...t_focal_length
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor_sizes

Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:46 AM   #48

Trevmar: I don't think there is any stabalization in the video mode, the camera was on a tripod during that small pan, and the still camera setting for stabalization was turned off. I hope your able to find one at your local Wal~Mart. I was suprised to see mine ring up at $162.00, but I've have had this happen before there. It seems when they first get an item during the first couple of days the price can be lower than their regular price. I had this happen with a laptop I got there.

rgvcam: I don't think the VPC-100 has a problem with barrel distortion, like the picture you posted taken with the HD700. If you look at the stop lights in the two videos I don't see this type of distortion.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:58 AM   #49

bobcat56458 wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam: I don't think the VPC-100 has a problem with barrel distortion, like the picture you posted taken with the HD700. If you look at the stop lights in the two videos I don't see this type of distortion.
Neither did the HD700 in video mode, probably because of the zoomed viewing area, meaning it was using the central portion of the lens. In Still image mode it had a wider viewing angle which meant it was more affected by any distortions in outer portion of the lens. This is why I wanted you to take a still image or two to rule this out on this model.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:43 PM   #50

bobcat56458 wrote:
Quote:
I did some audio testing on the cam by recording a video/audio clip with the cams microphone in between a pair of stereo speakers that were playing a song that had good stereo separation. The microphone on the Sanyo is located on the back of the LCD monitor, it has two small holes about 3/16[sup]TH[/sup] inches apart making you think that it has two microphone elements behind the holes. This would lead you to believe that it can record in stereo. I took that video/audio clip and separated (de-muxed) the audio making it a PCM Wave audio file. I then opened it in the Audacity audio editor program. It showed that there were two channels of audio but looking at the waveforms I could not see any difference in the two channels. This leads me to think ether it records in dual channel mono, or that the microphone elements are to close together to effectively produce a stereo image.
I noticed in the manual that the TV connection cable is just a single audio plug rather than a stereo pair. This along with the lack of any reference to stereo in the manual makes me believe that in their efforts to cut costs they also cut out the stereo audio.