Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 1, 2008, 2:59 PM   #51

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
along with the lack of any reference to stereo in the manual makes me believe that in their efforts to cut costs they also cut out the stereo audio.
That is probably a product differentiation move as much as it is a cut-costs move. I suspect that most of the hardware for stereo is already in their silicon.

It is not easy for Sanyo to compete with Jazz and Aiptek because those products are so good. I am hoping Sanyo applied some of its experience to the software, which is after all what makes the Xactis so good. But this HD100 is not an Xacti - it is a new concept from Sanyo... And they don't want to disturb those who are still buying HD800 and HD1010 and the like... Salesmen will be able to say "yes, but the HD100 doesn't have stereo microphones..."

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 3:52 PM   #52

One thing I would like to know, is what the real world battery life of the HD100 is since my C40 never got more than 50 minutes at the most. My ideal camcorder would get at least 90 minutes real world which would be enough to cover most events.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 5:48 PM   #53

OK, I just bought one.
First, the real show stopper is that all configuration data is lost when you close the screen or put the unit in standby. Everything reverts to default.

Second, low light performance in Night Mode is 3-4 f stops down from my Kodak V1073 and 4-5 down from my Canon HF100 in 24p. There does not seem to be any way to select a 1/15 shutter mode, like on the HD700. No pixel binning is used, so you are stuck with the raw sensor sensitivity. However, there is no heavy-handed noise reduction used, which does allow for intelligent post-processing. Without night mode the camera is abysmal indoors. And night mode disengages whenever you close the screen

The lens is excellent, with no noticeable geometry problems even in the 3:4 mode. Also the 16:9 mode is the same width as the 3:4 mode. Effective width is around 40-45mm, which is much better than the HD700. There is no loss of sensitivity as the lens zooms to x5, which is absolutely amazing.

Focus is sluggish and hunting in low light (like all Sanyos).

There is stabilization on video, it stops the frame-frame variations but does not smooth larger movements. It is good enough for the average clip, and Virtualdub's Deshaker will fix any movement the HD100 leaves behind.

In summary, unless I can find a way for my settings (night mode, contrast, etc) to stay set when I close the screen, this camera is going back, It is of no use to me if I have to pull it out of my pocket and use menus before I can start shooting with it...

Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:24 PM   #54

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
OK, I just bought one.
First, the real show stopper is that all configuration data is lost when you close the screen or put the unit in standby. Everything reverts to default.

Second, low light performance in Night Mode is 3-4 f stops down from my Kodak V1073 and 4-5 down from my Canon HF100 in 24p. There does not seem to be any way to select a 1/15 shutter mode, like on the HD700. No pixel binning is used, so you are stuck with the raw sensor sensitivity. However, there is no heavy-handed noise reduction used, which does allow for intelligent post-processing. Without night mode the camera is abysmal indoors. And night mode disengages whenever you close the screen

The lens is excellent, with no noticeable geometry problems even in the 3:4 mode. Also the 16:9 mode is the same width as the 3:4 mode. Effective width is around 40-45mm, which is much better than the HD700. There is no loss of sensitivity as the lens zooms to x5, which is absolutely amazing.

Focus is sluggish and hunting in low light (like all Sanyos).

There is stabilization on video, it stops the frame-frame variations but does not smooth larger movements. It is good enough for the average clip, and Virtualdub's Deshaker will fix any movement the HD100 leaves behind.

In summary, unless I can find a way for my settings (night mode, contrast, etc) to stay set when I close the screen, this camera is going back, It is of no use to me if I have to pull it out of my pocket and use menus before I can start shooting with it...
Why can't they get such a simple thing as saving settings right! It's like they didn't even try. That would annoy me too, so I think I may pass on this camera.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:17 PM   #55

Bobcat,
The FFMPEG AVI codec does not work properly with the compression level of the HD100. But the CoreAVC DirectShow codec works fine. I can play the HD100 .MP4 files with Media Player Classic, for example. I can imort the MP4 video into Virtualdub and VfW programs using AVIsynth.

Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:37 PM   #56

hey guys long time no talkie.. anyhow of course at my local walmart they had two of these they got today( 10-1-08) picked one up got it home tested it out, must of been defective because the zoom did not work at all wide or telephoto, so back to walmart it went.. picked up the other one they had and this one is working alright.. although I dont know if you guys with this camera are experiencing this.... first thing is changing light senseitivity when panning camera up and down to different lighted areas its very slow to re adjust to light in area your viewing and focus is slow as well... sometimes focus gets lost... i dont know what settings it isnt saving for you but my camera does in fact save the settings...

this camera has the ambarella chipset the aipteks have.. the OS/firmware is version 1 and has way many more options in it than aiptek does to set up the color, sharpness, white balance.. iso for picture mode and alot of settings also it has scene settings 5 different white balance options and a option for camera to manual set white balance from source in viewable area.... it does 1440x1080 29.97P FPS... 1280x720 29.97P FPS in 16x9 formats.. and 640x480 29.97PFPS 4:3... bitrates... 1440x1080 with finest detail setting is 8100 - 8200.. 1280x720 with finest detail is 6000-6200.. and 640x480 with finest detail is 3100-3200 bitrates...

audio is alot better quality to hear and compared to aiptek stuff volume is pretty decent for picking up ambient audio... it does record in a stereo format when you record just sound clips which are saved in .wav format and it says 2-channels stereo for that... ONly issue with audio on this thing with all camera so far is that there is background static noise.. who knows why...

low light performance is same as aiptek a-ahd+ and go hd + models and same for pictures. at least this sanyo dont show dead cmos pixels when your in complete darkness recording(aiptek in complete darkness shows noise and white sub pixels from software cropping/or cmos error...)

compared to my aiptek a-hd+ that i got for sale at target i think 120 or so.. this sanyo for 199.99 dollars or cheaper is anice upgrade. for the 5x optical zoom, better audio quality although static background noise, lots more options in software on camera... color ACCuracy is way more accurate than aiptek cams... 3 super bright white led lights in front. i think a 1100mah battery.. and in picture mode this camera is as good as buying just a click and shoot digi cam with 5x optical and image stableization.. also does face recognition mode for up to 9 faces in photo.. photos come out way better than my aiptek a-hd+ and a older canon powershot 3mb digicam.. photos when focused of course come out sharp and clear with lots of detail..

also 2.5"lcd on sanyo cam is a glossy screen and brightness on stock 0 outdoors is ok and if u turn it up 5 notches superbright and clear.. ext speaker on cam for playback is better than aiptek cams although u can really notice that background static noise..

if sanyo will listen to us by email although this cam aint on there usa page yet.. we can get them to fix audio issue i hope with better firmware and focus speed and light adjustment speed.. then cam will bea good contender.. of course i have a vimeo page my username there is: Skyhawk21 and i will of course post video clips there so keep an eye out....

any questions just ask.. got a messed up finger so my typin aint that great...

sample pic attached is 5mp filesize resized down to 1024x768 lower quality but quality is good

vid clips:

http://vimeo.com/1863854

http://vimeo.com/1863884

more to come
Attached Images

skyhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:49 PM   #57

A good mix of video clips would be appreciated ie the usual like indoors and scenes with heavy vegetation etc. Some of people as well. Oh and a photo of the device itself would be nice :-)
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:51 PM   #58

skyhawk21 wrote:
Quote:
i dont know what settings it isnt saving for you but my camera does in fact save the settings...
The settings lost are the scene: "night mode", the EV, the White Balance, Color, Contrast and Sharpness. All reset to default when you close the screen. Can you please check whether yours holds its values after you close the screen and it enters standby?

Also, the HD100 powers off when you close the screen but the camera doesn't come on again when you open up the screen, like the Xacti models do.

Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:45 PM   #59

So it's basically an Aiptek GO-HD except it does 1440!
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:48 AM   #60

SteveNunez wrote:
Quote:
So it's basically an Aiptek GO-HD except it does 1440!
The Action HD does 1440 so would make the better comparison.