Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:45 AM   #71

couple questions:

there is no charging the battery while it's in the camera correct?

Has anyone else noticed a decent amount of background static noise when recording a quiet environment? Is there anything we can do about this?

And can this camera support 8gb and 16gb sdhc? and what class? Thanks!

i bought the camera last night, but I am trying to figure out if I should keep it, or what other camera in this price range (which I know isn't much, so I know not to expect much), would be better than this sanyo hd-100? thanks to anyone who can help me out with these questions.
scheme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:16 AM   #72

Well considering you already purchased it and Walmart has quite a liberal return Policy, why don't you just try it out for a week or so? Video quality is often subjective and depends on the type of subject you are going to use it mostly for. The straight swap alternative from Walmart would be the Action HD but it's the design may not be to your liking.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:07 AM   #73

Yes, the background noise on Sanyos is pretty bad because they seem to have an automatic gain control (AGC) that kicks up the microphone sensitivity when you are in a quiet environment and -- conversely -- limits the microphone sensitivity when you are in a loud environment.

It's not perfect, but I'd say it's still better than the microphone on the Aiptek Action HD "standard" model.

What remains to be seen is whether this brand new Aiptek "Action HD GVS" model will offer something entirely new and beneficial with its EXTERNAL MICROPHONE INPUT that allows one to attach a high quality external microphone by plugging it into a new jack that is only available on the "GVS" model.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:28 AM   #74

thanks for the info. anyone else have anything to add about the other questions I had?

Do you all think at this price range, the sanyo hd-100 is the best one out? Or there is something better out there to work with?

And is there anyway to kill the background noise? thanks!

sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I get all info before I make a decision of keeping it or taking it back.
scheme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:22 AM   #75

As long as you don't have any "stuck" pixels, and the camcorder is functioning normally, then I would say it's going to be hard to beat the Sanyo VPC-HD100 at that price.

On the other hand, Aiptek is about to ship the new "Action HD GVS" model here:

http://www.amazon.com/Aiptek-Action-...3479186&sr=8-1

This new model will probably ship within the next two weeks and it's different because it features an external microphone jack that allows the user to attach a high quality external microphone for better sound.

The question is... how well does it actually work?

We don't know that yet.

But if it works, it could be the new king.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:33 AM   #76

P.S. There's no way to "kill" the background noise on the Sanyo other than to avoid recording in quiet environments.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:12 PM   #77

Also, since no one else answered them, you can't charge it in the camera (battery dock), and it only accepts up to 8 GB, as dictated on the box. But i haven't tried above that so give it whirl if you want.

Update - oct 8: I bought an extra battery, the Fuji NP-60 works with it, even though the incl. is a Sanyo NP-61. Maybe they're the same battery? I got it at radio shack.
aceMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:06 PM   #78

just picked one up today. i think i read somewhere in the forum that this camcorder doesnt save ur preferences? thats odd cause mine does. so if i put it at 720p then it turns on to 720p. or if i put it to 1080 p then its 1080 when i turn on.

so far, its great great great camera compared to the aiptex. so steady, nice grip and great zoom.

question though, when i turn the cam, it was on the 720 p mode. i was wondering, does 720 p have stabilizer while the 1080 p doesnt? it seems to me that one is shakier than the other ... not sure. can anyone answer this question? thank you!

ill post some vids soon
macauboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:25 PM   #79

The individual who reported the problem with preferences not being saved might've purchased a defective model.

Hey, I'm curious, has Sanyo fixed the problem of the zoom noise being recorded onto one's video with this new model? Or does that problem persist?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:28 PM   #80

Does anybody know why Sanyo hasn't marketed this VPC-HD100 model?

Did they run out of advertising dollars, perhaps?

I just checked the official North American Web site:

http://www.sanyodigital.com/products.aspx?n=673002

Not even a mention of the VPC-HD100.

Strange.