Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:35 PM   #1

I went to Walmart to pickup a DXG 595V and spotted a red small HD camera called the Sanyo VPC HD100. I asked the salesperson to get me a price on it and she came back saying that item wasn't supposed to be shelved (in a locked undercabinet) as it's not released yet- they had no price or further info........anyone know anything about it?
It looks allot like their current 800 series but I have yet to find anything on them- anyone?

Walmart didn't have the DXG 595V so I came home with nothing......I did see the Aiptek HD Sport or something like that, The camera does 720p60- but as I already have the Go-HD I wasn't sure if the quality has been increased in the "Sports" version- anyone know?
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:56 PM   #2

At first I thought you might be confusing the VPC-HD100 with the VPC-HD1000 but then you said it looks like the 800 so this sounds interesting.

Seems like Walmart is getting exclusives lately on these camcorders. Like you I couldn't find anything although I did see some other mentions of this model but still no pictures of the device and Sanyo of course have nothing either.

Sounds like a low end version of the HD700/800 but I wonder what the price will be and what the difference is.

I am guessing its 'release date' must be soon as I can't see Walmart keeping already delivered stock sitting around for long even if they only have a couple of them.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:07 PM   #3

Yeah it definitely was not the 1000 as I had that cam.........the HD100 I saw looked exactly like this------>

I'm surprised i can't find a single bit of info on it anywhere- but I read the box carefully and it was the Sanyo VPC HD100 !

No mention of HD type either wether 720P or 1080i or P.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:08 PM   #4

Yeah it definitely was not the 1000 as I had that cam.........the HD100 I saw looked exactly like this------>

I'm surprised i can't find a single bit of info on it anywhere- but I read the box carefully and it was the Sanyo VPC HD100 !

No mention of HD type either wether 720P or 1080i or P.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:24 AM   #5

These are old VPC-HD700s by Sanyo (the VPC-HD800s are out now) and let's hope they don't suffer from the "stuck pixel" syndrome that I have suffered with the VPC-CG6, purchased from that Wal-Mart batch. Looks like Sanyo is dumping HD-700s on Wal-Mart just as they dumped their old stock of VPC-CG6s.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 7:59 PM   #6

I picked one up at Walmart today. It was $199. I have not played with it yet, as the battery is charging. They only had it in bright red.

Here's a brief summary of the specifications:

Image Sensor: 1/2.5 CMOS
Effective Pixels: 5.0 Megapixels
Still image resolution:2560 x 1920 (max @ 5M)
Video: 1440 x1080, 1280 x 72, 640 x 480 30 fps
Supports up to 8MB SDHC
Video Format: H.264
5X optical zoom

Let me know if you need any additional info. I'm planning on taking it on a hike tomorrow.

PS. It does not look like a re-badged HD700. It has a different light (three LEDS beneath the lens) and the ports are located in a different place.
Urgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:13 PM   #7

Well, then I'm wrong; they're not older model VPC-HD700s if they do 1440 x 1080, as you report.

They do, however, look identical to the VPC-HD700.

Do they come with a remote control, by chance?
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:39 PM   #8

No remote. Just some AV cables, a USB cable, and a vinyl case. There does not appear to be a IR transmitter on the camera for a remote. The headphone jack is behind a door at the back of the camera, where the SD card, USB and HDTV jacks are located.
Urgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:45 PM   #9

I look forward to some downloadable video clips.

Does it still have the same lens as the HD700 ie with that zoomed in view and barrel distortion?

I wonder why they don't show it on Sanyo's website?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:53 PM   #10

Thanks for starting this thread. I saw this camcorder last night and when I got home I couldn't remember the name and it wasn't on walmart.com. Couldn't find any info at all. I'll be watching this thread for more info.

Steve
sprof is offline   Reply With Quote