Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:48 PM   #1

just purchased my first hybrid and really enjoying the Action HD.

i have my still pics sets on 5 MB and noticed when I use the flash there seems to be only 1 intensity of flash output. most of my flash pics are way overexposed and the subject usually washed out by the flash output.

can any owners comment? am I covering some light sensor perhaps with my hands or is there no way for the camera to detect the flash exposure and compensate the flash output?

i am pressing the shutter release halfway and allowing the rectangle to turn Green before taking the pic which i believe is only for focus purposes. right now, i'd say my flash use is meaningless due to the overpowering output of light. my subjects are 'normal' flash distance away, perhaps 4' to 7 or 8' away.

thanks,
randy
ohio
sedohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:57 AM   #2

Sed......

look for a review a lil later today will add it in a different post in here.

1 2 flashs the camera should do

2 site claims flash/red eye reduction, and only just that with its flash that means ;

the flash will fire once and red eye (flash) second you cannot set red eye, you cannot set flash you can only set the forced two flash auto/on/off

on specs it says nodda, on bullets nodda

to me no such thing as red eye in here, guess each cam has a differet flash for it some will fire thre- five times

3. try some fiber paper tissue paper see if it softens it up, old trick. a filter may be added on the lens if AIPTEK heard us LOL 25 mm is the near diameter possably 23-24 ?????

Firmware may not fix as Aiptek denies having it, denies the fixs and only says WB.

4 Ev and WB may be set try them out. standfurther away etc.

My video I am about 8 feet anddemo'd to your question thank you FISHYC
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:13 AM   #3

http://vimeo.com/1824959video review offlash
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:17 AM   #4

thanks fishy. mine does fire the "pre-flash" for the redeye reduction but with everyone coming out completely "glowing" in the pic, redeye is the least of my worries.

this is almost a show stopper for me on this unit. i don't expect pics as fine as my digital camera can take but i was expecting to at least be able to leave my camera behind most times when only going to day-to-day events or visits and be able to capture images for my online photo-album to share with family/friends.

btw, i have version 1.5 of the f/w installed.

i did think about the tissue paper trick but it doesn't appear this hybrid does any automated exposure calculations based on the flash being used - it seems to just fire at one intensity which even if i soften that intensity, i'm still stuck with a hit-or-miss as far as the pic coming out or not.

i'll still have to carry my digital camera to do any flash photography which i use quite a bit for flash fills, etc.

quite a disappointment really because i really like everything else about this camcorder - well, except no MIC port....

maybe it's just my unit.

randy
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:49 AM   #5

fishy,

did you take the pics/vids in a dark room on this video? can you post a shot or two of a flash pic taken in 'normal' room lighting where the flash needs to compensate just a little for the lighting levels. i'll post of pic of a flash shot taken with mine in a room darkened a bit and in normal lighting and post them for comparison.

randy
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:47 AM   #6

I hear ya. like i said if I saiddue to thesite not posting first time LOL.

The hybrid is more to the Video, then thestil. so I do not worry bout still shots and flash..

I am sure deep in the threads we have pics. I know I taken many shots. and more are on the A-HD and A-HD+ and not the Action.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"for me to just snap a shot will just be that snapping a shot showing the same thing you're gonna show.I do not expect the unit to be professional nor do I expect perfect lighting I expect itto capture a shot in no matter what light condition ifa flash is needed or not.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Aip A-HD Minnesota como zoo. action or not no difference