Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:57 AM   #21

Yes, exactly. In my monitor artifacts displays so clearly that it gets really annoying and it doesn't help much if you resize, resizing only changes grid pattern. I think problem must something to do with sensor or sensor parameters they use in their cameras, both in AHD200 and Z600, I guess they both have same 5MP CMOS sensor. Sensor grid array is so clearly displayed, there must be something wrong with firmware parameters or sensor itself, maybe it is so cheaply manufactured sensor, who knows. You shouldn't see any sensor gridlines in digital camera pictures at all? What do you think, is this usual in digital cameras? I have only had Canon and Aiptek digital cameras and I don't remember seeing any sensor gridlines in pictures taken with Canon.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I think I finally see what you are on about, but I think it's a resizing artifact since it doesn't appear on the fullsize image and only seems to appear when a certain size which is probably why Aiptek didn't see it.

When it was showing them, I tried to cut a section out and paste into a photo editor and the lines disappeared. The only way to 'freeze' them was to do a printscreen and *then* cut out a section. Even then I didn't have much success trying to enhance them to make them clearer.

I attached the section I cut out. I assume this is the effect you were on about?
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:56 PM   #22

The lines are there.............. the still is it interpolated or in its correct res size?

Aiptek is not primary for stills, more to the video.

Aiptek firmware is a total false fix they will tell you just sound like thy saidonly White balance on the Action while everything else gets minipulated, making it worse.

reason why over and over they must come up with a progra we can add in our own tweaks.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I think I finally see what you are on about, but I think it's a resizing artifact since it doesn't appear on the fullsize image and only seems to appear when a certain size which is probably why Aiptek didn't see it.

When it was showing them, I tried to cut a section out and paste into a photo editor and the lines disappeared. The only way to 'freeze' them was to do a printscreen and *then* cut out a section. Even then I didn't have much success trying to enhance them to make them clearer.

I attached the section I cut out. I assume this is the effect you were on about?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 5:27 PM   #23

fishycomics. They are the native CMOS resolution ie 2592 x 1944 so not interpolated.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 5:30 PM   #24

I emailed Aiptek Support about white gridlines in AHD200, but now it is second time they requested me to send my camera to their support. First time they tried to fix audio, which wasn't very succesfull.

I don't understand why they can't see that their low-light settings aren't correct in their cameras, it looks they are trying to ramp up too much gain? Same with sound, it is never in correct level and there isn't any kind of sound filters. I guess you can't expect any quality for these kind of low priced cameras, what you pay is what you get and absolutely nothing more.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 6:10 PM   #25

They may not have much lattitude when changing settings ie changing one thing too much may affect another.

I remember the Aiptek PVR I had. The video quality had problems with close lines causing a moire effect that were much worse than other cameras. I even emailed Aiptek Taiwan and all they kept saying was the moire effect on cameras is normal. Yes it is up to a point but not this bad! The video seemed to be way oversharpened. I managed to mimic the effect by resizing a 5MP image to VGA just as the camera would have to do when shooting video. It seemed that instead of resampling when resizing it was doing a basic resize without resampling. I never did find out if I was on the right track since they never released any firmware fix and simply stopped selling it at Bestbuy. Perhaps the problem was in hardware and couldn't be fixed by firmware. I ended up asking them if I could just exchange it for a regular MPVR in the end, which I still have now.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:05 PM   #26

Can please someone post a ZOOM-IN and Zoom-out
video in 1080p mode with the Aiptek Z600
camera please ?

It seems the 720p mode has interpolation artifacts,
and this camera has only a good resolution in the 1080p
mode.

But all the posted samples at vimeo.com
did not zoom...so how good is the zoom ?

By the way, is there a real 1920x1080 mode or only
1440x1080 mode ?

Too bad it still also does not have an HDMI output...

But how good is the autofocus in dark light at a flashing
music concert lights ?

Will it again try to focus back and forth and
make the video unstable and shaky this way ?

Could it be hacked, so one could
control the lens focus point via a manual turn screw ?

Regards, Stefan.
hartiberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:58 AM   #27

hartiberlin wrote:
Quote:
Can please someone post a ZOOM-IN and Zoom-out
video in 1080p mode with the Aiptek Z600
camera please ?

It seems the 720p mode has interpolation artifacts,
and this camera has only a good resolution in the 1080p
mode.

But all the posted samples at vimeo.com
did not zoom...so how good is the zoom ?

By the way, is there a real 1920x1080 mode or only
1440x1080 mode ?

Too bad it still also does not have an HDMI output...

But how good is the autofocus in dark light at a flashing
music concert lights ?

Will it again try to focus back and forth and
make the video unstable and shaky this way ?

Could it be hacked, so one could
control the lens focus point via a manual turn screw ?

Regards, Stefan.
Hi Stefan,

I will shoot a zoom test video for you soon when I get the time(tomorrow?).

The zoom on this hybrid cam is okay I guess compared to other hybrids. 3x times optical zoom +digital zoom and it's not wide in it's widest angle. You might want to get yourself a magnetic wide angle lens for that. The zoom button itself was in the beginning hard to operate but not anymore.

There's no "real" 1920x1080 resolution on this cam. It records in anamorphic HD 1440x1080 and the PAR (pixel aspect ratio) is 1.333 like HDV. If you connect your cam to a HD TV set it will show your footage in widescreen.

Eventhough I haven't recorded in a dark environment with flashing lights like a concert, I think the autofocus will fail BIGTIME. Meaning it will have focusing problems and ruin your footage. More expensive camcorders will have the same autofocus issues unless you use the manual focus, if available. Also I don't think you can "hack" the camera's lens to add you own manual function. Aiptek has been nice and added a "focus lock" function but I don't really know how good this is cause I haven't used it yet. So I guess the trick is in a concert environment to let the camera focus properly when there's plenty of light on stage and then quickly lock the focus. I don't know exactly how the footage will turn out but I think better than with autofocus.

I hope this made you a bit wiser on the Aiptek AHD Z600.

adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:58 PM   #28

Many thanks for the infos.

How does the focus LOCK exactly work ?

Does it also disable the motor that normally controls the
focus ? Or do you still hear the motor running back and forth ?

Many thanks and looking forward to the
Zoom-Ins from your camera.

P.S: I am also still looking for Zoom-Ins
movie of the Aiptek AHD300 in 1080p mode.

Please post them on vimeo.com

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.
hartiberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:34 PM   #29

I also wonder what focus lock is?

focus lock would mean locking the focus

will the focuslock and the zoom no longer work?

I am sure it is a electronic switch shutting the motor down. causing zooming not to operate because thecamera has no way of focusing while in zoom

hartiberlin wrote:
Quote:
Many thanks for the infos.

How does the focus LOCK exactly work ?

Does it also disable the motor that normally controls the
focus ? Or do you still hear the motor running back and forth ?

Many thanks and looking forward to the
Zoom-Ins from your camera.

P.S: I am also still looking for Zoom-Ins
movie of the Aiptek AHD300 in 1080p mode.

Please post them on vimeo.com

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 6:02 AM   #30

Is there any solution to ghostly sensor gridlines in still pictures, how about changing exposure? How about audio clipping in loud environments, has anybody tested external microphone with volume control?