Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:24 AM   #41

Hehehe! Yeah we do get screwed more n more when it comes to camera upgrades. It's like Europe is Aiptek's testing ground. We get the cams released here first but with all the firmware / hardware errors. After reviewing the issues and fixing them, they start selling their final and fixed version to the US:G. So you may be right Aqualung:G.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:46 AM   #42

they alternate last time we had the Action ha ha ha
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:18 PM   #43

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
they alternate last time we had the Action ha ha ha
When was that "last time"? 150 years ago? :lol:

The US is much more of a cutthroat market for electronic gizmos than Europe, hence they (Aiptek) can't risk anything there. Europeans, on the other hand,seem much more likely to put up with shite...:G
Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 3:06 AM   #44

How does the size and quality of the Aiptek AHD Z600/HDGVS compare to the Aiptek A-HD or A-HD+?

Any comparisons?
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:17 PM   #45

Hi Kiyoshi.....

The AHD Z600/Action HD GVS is definantly a bigger camera. It's quite thick around the top/lens. If you compare the pics here with some pics of the AHD /AHD+, you will see some differences. The lower part of the Z600 is pretty thin with the LCD open. Not having owned an AHD/AHD+, I cannot tell you if it's better or worse quality wise but I think it's more or less the same. Maybe a little bit better and it should be because it's way more expensive. When I first got mine the zoom button was a pain to use. It was soo stiff and therefore you had to push it hard which would shake up your recording.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:33 PM   #46

do you know the bit rate of the movies at different settings?
3000kbit/second, maybe?

i'm trying to find raw movie files for all of the latest models from all the manufacturers:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

i hope the z600 is better than the a-hd, which is hard to top...
i've seen some videos on vimeo, but only source/raw videos really show how it is, i think...

where did you get yours?
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:51 AM   #47

Kiyoshi,

I don't know the bitrates for all the resolutions. My clips on vimeo.com are all raw unedited clips, straight from the memory card. If you download my clips you will get the raw clips which I uploaded straight from the memory card. Also if you load them in a media file info viewer such as GSpot you will the exact bitrate, framerate and so on.

I don't own an Aiptek A-HD so I haven't been able to directly compare the two(A-HD vs AHD Z600/Action HD GVS). I've seen Fishy A-HD clips and it's hard to say which is better though. I do think the Z600/A. HD GVS most of the time is sharper because of it's autofocus. But the A-HD can't be beaten in it's low light performance, which I think is one of the best amongst low-cost hybrids.

I bought mine from Germany, as it was the only country, it was available from when it first got released here in Europe. I think Aiptek has it's european headquarters located in Germany, cause they get the new released cams first.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:12 PM   #48

So how do you guys have liked it so far?

Thinking on upgrading from Toshiba Camileo(vga) -to the 1080P club.

The videos that I have seen all look quite jerky/low fps. -is this real or just the editing/vimeo? -I plan on filming mostly rc cars and other fast moving things.

3 or 5x zoom?

Battery life?

Anything else similiar on the market around 2-300$?

Thanks,

-Pate

edit: just downloaded the videos, much better looking now.
TEHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 2:47 AM   #49

Is the 600 and gvs exactly the same, or are there differences?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 3:01 AM   #50

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
My wife immediately commented on the red van and the signs in adalfa's video test. A pity the the reds look like they were colored using lipstick :GĀ*as I was quite interested in this camera.
I have some info on this. It maybe just a problem with the way it applies it's internal gamma curve, or gain to the three colors, or it could be the filter used on the sensor, or other processing problem (like 8 bit processing of the red signal tends to produce brighter reds, an old problem on cameras years ago before they went 14 bit internal processing etc). In any case, easily solved somewhat by changing the color matrix/Gama curve table in the cameras firmware.

But I bought a LG Digital television DVD recorder with the same sort of problems. Everything has a green bias to it, even black, and reds are way oversaturated. I am preparing to return it, looks absolutely horrible. This is unrelated to recorded images, but I think it could be something wrong with the component signal compatibility. This would only affect a camera through component, unless the component leveling was adjusted in circuit from the sensor out, before recording, possibly by a hardware signal conditioning component. Doesn't make sense to do it that way, but often things that go wrong don't in design.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote