Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 3, 2008, 5:17 PM   #1

Sorry if you're expecting an in-depth review of the Kodak Zi6 and Aiptek Action HD right off the bat.......

I JUST picked up the Zi6 after having the Action HD 1080p for a little over a week. I decided to shoot some side-by-side videos using the 2 and post some videos as soon as possible.

For those of you looking at either of these, let me know what you'd like to see comparison-wise and i'll try and get as much as i can (within reason) :?

I took the Zi6 out of the box, threw a couple Alkaline AA batts in while the Ni-MH's charged, set the 2 units up on mini-tripods side-by-side, turned the EV up 2 clicks on the Aiptek and fired a short little video @ 720p and 60fps.

also... i should mention that i have a hereditary condition known as "central tremor" which in a nutshell means... i shake a bit - not too conducive to these little buggers i know but i wanted everyone to know that........ c'mon EIS!!!

anyways.............

(here's a quick flash video of the setup for the test [shot with my exilim z77 btw])
http://tlrer.com/hybrid/setup.html

I'm uploading those straight from the cameras to vimeo and will post the links in a bit.

I'll also do some side-by-side this evening when darker and with candlelight too. I'll also plan on posting some stills as well. and of course, give my general impressions of each.

i'm just getting into hybrids so have a lot to learn but i know what i'm looking for in a hybrid (not sure it's made yet:-)) and will put these two thru their paces.

so far, the Zi6 impresses me. i'm anxious to post the vimeo links and let people far more experienced than i tell me what my untrained eyes can't see. ;O)

More info as i get it........ let me know how i can assist while i have both these in my possession. look for the vimeo link soon (only at 7% and 20% on the vimeo upload).

randy

sedohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2008, 6:05 PM   #2

Looking foward to this.

the First impression showingthe cam, looks awesome. having a flat cam hmm

I loved the Mustek a MINI mini cam resembles a camcorder but super small. then Aip cam out my whole hand control changed, and again and again.

1. So I am sure that record Button we'll get used to. unsure if it fits a righty or a lefty. How is the hand fit.

2. what software beside thekodak easy photo ame with it . more interested in the video editing?

3, Auto focus I do not like as much on the Aiptek, I live with it and what type do you think the kodak is a Cmos fixed focus, no optical of course or does it ?

what video will I be lookingfor, how bout how much memory for 1 minute and file size, of each.

I do thank you in advance and great job.........

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 6:18 PM   #3

Yes I will be interested in seeing some video from he Zi6 since I had been hearing the video wasn't that good.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:07 AM   #4

OK folks, here's the side-by-side video test i did last night.

Aiptek Action HD --> http://vimeo.com/1880773

Kodak Zi6 --> http://vimeo.com/1880922

here again is the link to how i had this setup --> http://tlrer.com/hybrid/setup.html

i was a little disappointed in the Zi6 quality from this test. being new to all this, it amazes me how good the vids can look when played back on the unit's display vs. viewing online or on my pc.

i've had the Zi6 and Action HD out this morning, shooting some soccer footage, i'll post those side-by-side comparison videos as well.

i REALLY wan to like the Zi6. i LOVE the form factor of it - i carried it today in a cell phone pouch i have for my motorola q9c. it allowed me to have it on me at all times. it's a simple, turn it on and use it kinda hybrid.

having said all that - my initial impression of it is like the old Brownie point-and-shoot cameras. there are absolutely NO settings that i can tweak. nor is there a timer for self portrait stills or remote, etc.

still, i'll hold out final judgement until i have a chance to use them both for awhile. afterall, the camera i like best, is the one i use most often. the Zi6 simple-to-carry form factor is HUGE (to me at least)......

randy
Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:21 AM   #5

one video, the Aip is private....

the other looks good, the Kodak

1. how fast is the from off to on is thecam, while theAction is about under 2 secs.

2 while RCA and Flip are in the making and now more advanced in their models, i wonder if Kodak and DXG etc will also include a pop out screen. reason why the Aip or otherwill ahve the better video caption for view finding notvidio when filming.

3. these are pure HD quailty when viewing on the cams screen, there are XX aount of K and that allows us that clear shot is this a flourecent LTTP screen or a LCD film screen big difference, power consumption forone, and perminent finger prints on the other. The Action HD is LTTP and theA-HD and + are lcd.

oh this list can go on and on.

last one. while filming have you noticed any light adjustments?

Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:23 AM   #6

mmmmmm, ok fishy, i'll check the private setting as soon as my 'setup' video uploads. not sure how it got marked that way (new to vimeo too!)

BOTH VIDS NOW PUBLIC

when you say "light adjustments" do you mean as far as exposure, as in the apeture opening, etc? if so, yes i do (on the Zi6). before shooting the test i did yesterday, i took the Zi6 and filmed myself as i walked from my living room into a bathroom. the bathroom was dark except for the ambient light coming in the door (not much) - there's no way the Action HD would have been able to film without major exposure adjustments. the Zi6 adjusted and kept filming......

if i still have that short clip, i'll post it. if not, i'll duplicate it a bit later.

the Zi6 takes about 3-4 secs to recognize the power switch has been slide over and power on. 2 of those seconds are the delay. HOWEVER, the Zi6 comes up in default "HD" mode - 720, 30fps so it does take another sec to push teh joy stick to the right to put it into 702/60fps mode.......

not having to slide any type of display open though allows me to get into a shooting mode pretty quick - not to mention having the thing in my pocket or holster all the time....

again, quite a pain not having ANY setting abilities. it plays a little audible 'ditty' when power up/down that drives me nuts but i haven't figured out how to get into any type of setup screen (hack perhaps?) and theres' no documentation on getting into any type of setup screen either. AARGH!

randy
Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:57 AM   #7

Light adjustment:

when you're filming shadow or dark area, to a full lit area the camera senser will adjust. no setting at all .
Old Oct 4, 2008, 12:35 PM   #8

2 more videos comparing the Aiptek Action HD and Kodak Zi6.

Early morning, park setting. 720p/60fps.

Aiptek --> http://vimeo.com/1882434

Kodak --> http://vimeo.com/1882511

auto exposure test that fishy requested uploading now......
Old Oct 4, 2008, 12:54 PM   #9

Still Pics.......

i think the Zi6 pic may be a tad blurry. haven't mastered pushing the joystick while holding the unit steady...... sorry 'bout that.....

Aiptek (meant to set to 3 MB but i forgot - 5 MB setting)
592 x 1944 - 1.83 MB file size
raw image at http://tlrer.com/hybrid/aiptek1.jpg

Kodak Zi6 (3 MB)
2048 x 1536 - 852 KB file size
raw image at http://tlrer.com/hybrid/zi6.jpg

Old Oct 4, 2008, 1:08 PM   #10

Size in my hand......

AND FINALLY........ The self-portrait 'mirror'. it's actually the button to release the USB connector in the side of the unit...

sorry for the overall graininess of the pics..... i have studio lighting but am trying to get shots posted quickly, sacrificing a bit of quality in the process..... using ambient light coming thru the window.....