Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:08 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I've been looking around on the forums for a while now, but had never posted.

I am looking to buy either a sanyo hd 100 or an aiptek action HD.

Which one would you all suggest?

I want it for basic recording: going out with friends, with family, at studio sessions, etc.

A couple questions I have are:

What is the highest memory cards either one of these supports? Do they need firmware updates in order to support it?

What kind of files are the videos recorded in? I believe for the aiptek action its .mov, but I'm not too sure about the sanyo hd100.

If anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Want to make the right choice tonight when I head to the store. Thanks
scheme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:44 PM   #2

anyone? :sleep:
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:45 PM   #3

Scheme. welcome aboard.............

You have two great good choices

I seen the sanyo in hand and posted the link it is the raw footage of the cam sanyo vcp-100 see below link 1

1 Action or Hd100. I looked at the Sanyo I see it has way more selections over the Action.. to me that makes the sanyo a better cam. it also has 5x over 3x andalso digital zoom I again did not have time to play on a low battery.

2 Sound I believe Sanyo has the better sound and possably in Stereo as well.

A highest memory allowed 32 mb. on the Action rather go high I keep to a 2,4 or 8 the highest no way will I ever get one battery to go that long to record a full card. I understand if gone on a trip a few batts and one card. Firmware Aiptek forget about getting FW they only claim it will fix Whitebalance. so maybe Sanyo can add a single fw fix. Aiptek canot.

B Action is Quicktime.MOV format and sanyo QUicktime.MOV.MP4 format

depending on your software editing the choice is yours.

C sanyo 199.99 aiptek 175 sanyo I liked the cam thescreen was alil small due to me owning HD70 I am used to the 2.7 wide screen.

link 1 scheme83 wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone, I've been looking around on the forums for a while now, but had never posted.

I am looking to buy either a sanyo hd 100 or an aiptek action HD.

Which one would you all suggest?

I want it for basic recording: going out with friends, with family, at studio sessions, etc.

A couple questions I have are:

What is the highest memory cards either one of these supports? Do they need firmware updates in order to support it?

What kind of files are the videos recorded in? I believe for the aiptek action its .mov, but I'm not too sure about the sanyo hd100.

If anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Want to make the right choice tonight when I head to the store. Thanks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:02 PM   #4

anybody have a link to the Sanyo VPC HD100?

haven't seen one online or at walwart[dot]com

randy
sedohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:11 PM   #5

thanks a lot for the reply fishycomics,

I think I'm going to try out the sanyo first, I could always return it if I don't like it.

And Randy, I actually saw the sanyo hd100 at a Walmart close by me, can't find much about it online, besides this forum. If you do, please let us know. Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:16 PM   #6

Be sure to examine your Sanyo view screen very, very carefully in a dark room.

When it's dark, you can check for "stuck pixels."

I didn't remember to do that when I bought one of my VPC-CG6 camcorders from Sanyo and now I regret the purchase because two of the pixels are stuck on different colors and these *do* get recorded when you record video/sound, which ruins your video. You can actually see the pixels stuck on their single colors when you play back your recorded videos. Very disappointing.

It's a good idea to check that with any of these low-cost hybrids, but Sanyo seems to have a history of that problem.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:20 PM   #7

so how would I test that PrivateIdaho? record in the dark and see if it occurs on playback? thanks for the heads up on that!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:00 PM   #8

Just examine your camcorder's flip-out screen with the camcorder powered on in a dark room.

If there are stuck pixels, you will see them, if you are in a dark room.

The flip-out screen will display mostly black (if the room is dark).

However, if there are two stuck pixels, for example, then you will see each individual pixel on the flip-out screen as a tiny "square" displaying the color on which it is stuck.

On my defective model, for example, one of the stuck pixels was a tiny yellow square while the other stuck pixel was a tiny blue square.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it if you discover it after the warranty has expired.

I spent almost one hour on the telephone with Sanyo's so-called "support" line and I was ultimately told that my best option was to take the camcorder to a local electronics shop or -- otherwise -- send it to Sanyo and pay as much to fix the camcorder as one would pay to buy a brand new camcorder!

It's kind of similar to the problem some people encounter when buying flat panel HDTVs... they spend thousands for a brand new TV only to find out some of the pixels are either "dead" or "stuck."

When Sanyo released the VPC-HD1, the flip-out screen -- OLED no less on that first model -- failed for many customers:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/mpg4-sany...fo-needed.html

So Sanyo seems to me to have a mixed track record.

But so do other manufacturers... JVC... Aiptek... and others.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:10 PM   #9

well, i bought the Sanyo hd-100

so far i like the audio compared to the aiptek action and the picture is very good also.

three things I don't like is that setting go back to default when you turn the camera off, there is very noticeable background static noise when completely quiet, and I cannot charge it on the go, as I did with the Aiptek action (i have a mini usb car charger that would charge it), when I borrowed it from a friend, i thought since it came with a micro usb cable I can connect it to my laptop or usb car charge and charge it, but doesn't seem like i can

Not sure what I should do. Compromise the decent audio quality compared to the aiptek action, even though it has that static noise, or go with the fact that I can charge the aiptek action and not have to worry about the battery.

Which factor do you think is easier to resolve? thanks for your help guys.
scheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 4:02 AM   #10

Yeah, I have a stuck pixel on my aiptek ahd, unfortunately I bought it from a 3rd party so there is no returns, the strange thing is that it only shows up when I zoom, so I just dont zoom

Luckily it doesnt show up in Photos.
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote