Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:55 PM   #21

That rose was on its last legs! We're starting to get some cold nights here in Idaho. :G Yes, I see what you mean about that "soft" look. Unfortunately, that flower shot really wasn't the best example of what this camcorder can do. I would have preferred to find a really good blossom that was closer to the ground. The one I uploaded to YouTube was sitting up high and I just zoomed in to get a picture of it.

One of these days, I'll upload a true macro sample. This camcorder can get in really, really close.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:34 AM   #22

I have an early Panasonic S-10 and a Sanyo C6 -- an earlier version of the Sanyo that used simple MPEG-4. I agree the Sanyo looks better on a computer screen and the Panasonic looks much better on a TV. (In fact the Panasonic is disappointing on a computer screen.) The Sanyo can make good video but you have to fiddle with its settings to get best results. The newer h.264 cameras arebetter quality though.

To keep in mind: the Panasonic doesa good job for fully automatic point and shoot video. The footage can be authored onto a DVD and played directly. There's no loss. The video on the DVD is byte for byte identical to the original. I can go from the SD chip, to a rough edit in Wobble's MPEG Video Wizard, to a burned DVD in a half hour.

MPEG4, on the other hand, you always have to mess with. For computer use, I edit it and reencode the final as xVid. Or I convert it to MPEG2 to put on a DVD. (Or usually both). Mostly the footage sits in a directory never to be seen again. I suppose this is sorta like all those Hi8 tapes from the 1990s I never watch.

In short, for general home movies it's the Panasonic. For motorcycle rides, I hang the Sanyo around my neck.Often I bring both.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:33 PM   #23

Yes, the Sanyos are great for YouTube and -- progressive -- computer screen playback.

One of the best examples I've seen is this fantastic flower shot on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXb_7msRRSw

Note how the saturation has been jacked way high to make this look almost like a neon sign.

Pretty impressive.

There's a mode in my Panasonic SDR-S10 called "MagicPix" that I'm anxious to try on flower macro shots to see if I can match the color saturation of this CG65 video I just referenced. I think I can.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:48 PM   #24

Interesting.

I just read a news story suggesting that Panasonic is in talks to buy none other than Sanyo.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:41 PM   #25

Yes I had read about that as well. Now I wonder, will they still keep the Sanyo brand of cameras or will everything be rebadged as Panasonic. Or will they drop them altogether because they compete with their AVCHD models?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:19 AM   #26

Private Idaho or anybody who owns a Panasonic SDR-SW20/S10, a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CA8/E2, and or the Canon FS100. I would like to ask if you could provide me 30sec-1min samples of actual files from each of these camcorders. Hope you could provide a link where I could download them.

I'm hoping you could demonstrate in the video on how it behaves in low light conditions, zooming in/out, panning at the highest quality setting possible. I'm seriously considering buying one of the three but definitely undecided on which one.

Btw, can the pistol grip Xactis or even the SW20/S10 be placed on a tripod? and can the SW20/S10's LCD swivel 360 or 180 degrees?
hanapcamera is offline   Reply With Quote