Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:36 PM   #1

Please visit my Vimeo Cartoon album. These are videos taken with my Aiptek Action HD which I attempted to convert to a "Cartoon"-ish look via VirtualDub. I only used the MSU Cartoonizer on three videos, and on each one I noted it in the comments. The rest are my own conglomeration of filters I put together in VirtualDub. Remember, this was ALL done using VirtualDub, with free filters

Please post comments and leave feedback. I hope to encourage some thoughts and creativity here.

My Vimeo cartoon album is here:
http://www.vimeo.com/album/35129

Thank you!!!!

Sorry about not posting the link.. I had originally posted everything correctly then when I hit "Send" I got an error and when I went back my entire post was gone and I had to retype
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:58 PM   #2

A link would be nice :G
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:05 PM   #3

you kissing the lollipop? :O

http://vimeo.com/1875202
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:50 AM   #4

My bad... I edited my original post now the link is there!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:54 AM   #5

This is rather cool, I think I might use it on a film (definitely a good sue fort he camera). Pity they do not have camera mode is camera (whoops, that is how the codec works ).

You mentioned you were using other filters with it, or where they separate? Could you name the filters and work-flow a bit more?

Thanks pgomberg

Wayne.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:34 AM   #6

Hi Wayne. The way I do it is I first find a filter that will trace contours in an image for me. "Find Edges" is a type, but there are so many others that are either designed to do something similar, or do it in a type of "debug"-ish mode. So that gives me a black and white outlined "stencil" look. I might add warpsharp to that in order to give it a more organic feel. I use the BLEND filter to merge two filter paths together. The stencil look is my first path, then I create another one maybe using the POSTERIZE filter in the ffvdub filter to cut down on the colors on my video, then I might add a blur effect with a warpsharp to give that a more organic feel, then I merge the two together. I put the black and white stencil render with the POSTERIZED render and then I might boost the saturation to give the colors more of a cartoon look and feel. I also then reduce the framerate to 15fps. This is very important I've found in order to really achieve the motion look and feel of animated video.

This is ONLY possible via the BLEND filter!!!! This filter ALONE allows for two filter paths to be created and merged together. It is a very fun filter. I have actually found two different BLEND filters for VirtualDub, however the one I use allows for many different TYPES of blending! It's a lot of fun and I hope others get into using it! Basically with this BLEND filter you can do things with VirtualDub that were never originally intended!!!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 1:09 PM   #7

Thanks Peter.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote