Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:37 PM   #1

...as this guy found out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF94h...eature=related
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:52 PM   #2

I am always dubious about waterproof claims but having said that I wonder if he either got a defective one, or if he did go lower than he should have since he does admit it as a possibility in the comments. Saying the whole camera would've stopped working isn't really a defense since we all know that like cars, devices don't always fail as you'd expect! Unless he had a depth gage it would be difficult to prove the depth hadn't been exceeded unless he was just snorkling. I assume he wasn't for him to admit the possibility he exceeded the depth.

The reason I say this, is that if it really was a defective design I would've thought we'd have heard a lot more complaints than we have.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:44 PM   #3

lcd doors will flex and I am sure his has flexed casuing the break.

I commented: and most today pay with a creditcard dispute it. Somethingwe overlook all the time. it is a coverage we have and is there for us.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:46 PM   #4

The credit card can be a defense for items that have been recently purchased.

However, after I watched this, I wondered... what if somebody were to purchase one of these "waterproof" camcorders and dunk them a few times with no problems and then -- 12 months later -- a new dunk causes the screen to flood with water like the one this guy had?

I think one might be "up the creek" (so to speak).
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 1:11 AM   #5

I've noticed a number of dysfunctional E1's for sale on eBay. From what I've read, it can be tricky to make sure the battery door is closed securely. I suspect that many of these cams are failing because they've gotten water inside.

I'd say that offering such cameras is very risky. Compared to waterproof pouches or enclosures, the chances are high that users will get water in them, and then it's a problem determining if it's a failure of the user or the construction.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:30 AM   #6

That's always been my feeling about such cameras. How do you make sure it's properly sealed.

I think these cameras are useful as beach cameras, since they are more sealed against sand and water splashes, than a regular camera but I agree with sgspirit in that a proper watertight enclosure is the way to go if you regularly use cameras under water.

The only way to make these devices truly watertight would be to enclose the battery and memory permanently although you'd still have the problem of the power/usb connector, but it could be sealed more efficiently since you wouldn't be removing things.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:32 AM   #7

I read the online manual for the E1, and given the detail devoted to closing the battery cover, it sounded like it's easier to get it wrong than to get it watertight.

I was thinking of buying one or two broken ones to see if I could fix one, but other people are always willing to pay more than I am for the risk of not being able to fix them.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote