Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:41 PM   #1

http://vimeo.com/plus

Good news and bad new, thesite we all love with unlimited space of 500 meg per week, has now become a site that will charge 60.00 per year breakingdown to 5.00 plus a month, less then a quater a day.

Video Quality:

500 meg of Standard video Hi def 1 UPLOAD PER WEEK no longer hi def of500 meg

read thesite for the info.

It may be time again to look for a newer Hi def site if we needed.

great move for Vimeo and as we the people got them going imagine if they all move on.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2008, 6:17 PM   #2

I could see this coming. To be fair,it is a business and bandwidth, especially for HD video isn't cheap.

Actually the free access is not going away, they just limit you to one HD upload per week. It doesn't sayhow many SD uploads though. Also you are limited to 3 albums, 1 Group and 1 Channel. You do get to keep what you already have though. With these limitations, the free account basically becomes a trial account without a time limitation so if you just want to show friends or relativesthe odd video every now and then, it'll do, but obviously if you want to use it to show a few test videos here, then it's no go unless you cough up.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:30 PM   #3

it is a 500 meg standard for the simple user.

this was in the talks when it started and taken time. now they will do their best ,and will deffently win people over. I will lookfor a site I can get my Hd video on and Vimoe is the place for sure
Old Oct 17, 2008, 6:38 AM   #4

Its a real shame. They have abandoned all the people that made Vimeo who it is today for money. What are the alternatives?
admin238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:30 PM   #5

yes that was my Comment I made there. and I am not sad or upset, if I need to show HD i mostl liely will ahve to convert with youtubes site .

admin238 wrote:
Quote:
Its a real shame. They have abandoned all the people that made Vimeo who it is today for money. What are the alternatives?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:24 PM   #6

I can understand them limiting the free account to entice you to pay, but I think the HD upload should've been limited to the 500MB per week like the SD videos rather than 1. As someone on there said, often you may just want to upload a couple at the same time (and that includes me) and then you may go weeks without any uploading and thus you may not upload enough to justify the $60/year. If I was more prolific I wouldn't have a problem with $60/year but for the odd couple now and then, it's a bit of a poor use of money during these hard economic times.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 4:37 PM   #7

I think We are looking , or I was looking at it the wrong way

Vimeo will be stll the upload of HD, but embedded plays are now limited
Old Oct 17, 2008, 5:20 PM   #8

Fishy,
Embedded plays were always SD, weren't they? You used to only get HD by logging into the Vimeo site. Now they say paying members will be able to embed HD, for the first time.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 6:53 PM   #9

I suggest using an online hard-disk service, like http://www.humyo.com/ (free, 30GB, good speed) or http://www.diinoweb.com/ (free, 2GB, very good speed).
There shouldn't be any maximum file size limit in both, as far as I tried.
I hope that, even without Vimeo, I'll be able too see Fishy's dog doing reviews and tests
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 6:03 AM   #10

When I read it , It said newer services 2 gig of free space, your sd coverted to Hi def, and embedding 1000 of em. no ads or banners, If you stick with us with the free account, only 1 vid HD per week is allowed, 1 group, 1 channal and 3 albums

that is what i read as it is broken down from the persons way of explaining it. then when I went to the Stores site: see Below

i wil lcheck the first site out buth te other one i s N/a due to server size band width went over. thanks guys

update Vimeo is now in effect. so adding add'l albums i should haved taken advantage of. lets see if I can get an addtional video added iknow I placed one o rtwo in before I have a short clip, if it goes it goes then I am happy tomorrow is a new 500meg we'll see then . oneday at time

What do I get?
  • 2GB upload per week [/*]
  • No banner ads [/*]
  • Unlimited HD uploading [/*]
  • Embed your HD videos [/*]
  • Higher quality video [/*]
  • Priority uploading [/*]
  • Player customization [/*]
  • Advanced privacy options [/*]
  • Unlimited Groups, Channels & Albums [/*]

Compare with free account

Features
Free account
Vimeo Plus

Storage space
500MB a week
2GB a week
Details

With 2GB of storage space a week (1GB per file limit), you can upload almost any video you make, including that HD short film you've been working so hard on. That's so much space you won't know what to do with it all!

Video quality
Standard
High
Details

With Plus, all your videos are converted using 2-pass encoding. That means your videos looks cleaner while taking up the same amount of bandwidth.

Banner ads
Yes
No way!
Details

Hate ads? We understand. With Vimeo Plus, you will never see another banner ad anywhere on the main site. Period.

Priority uploading
No
Yes
Details

Now you will never have to wait for your video to convert. That means no lines, no waiting, just instant conversion like you want.

High Definition
1 new HD video a week
Unlimited HD uploading
Details

Upload as many HD videos as you want. With 2GB of storage per week, that's a boat load of HD video.

HD embedding
No
Yes
Details

Every new Vimeo Plus user gets a free trial of 1,000 HD embed plays. If you want more, choose from a variety of HD embed packages to suit your needs.

Player customization
Basic
Full control
Details

Now you can customize almost every single aspect of the player. Don't want the playbar? Take it out. Want to choose what happens at the end of the video? Of course you do. There are so many options, it might just blow your mind.

Groups/Channels/Albums
1/1/3
Unlimited
Details

Create as many groups, channels, and albums as you want. That means you can create you own show, start groups with like-minded people, and organize all your videos into different albums.

Domain level privacy
No
Yes
Details

Choose exactly where your videos can be embedded on the web. There are no limits to the number of websites you can choose and you'll always have complete control of your video outside of Vimeo.

Price
Free
$59.95 a year
Details

That's $5 a month, $1.15 a week, 16 cents a day, .006 cents an hour… well, you get the point.

Well… what are you waiting for? Get Vimeo Plus