Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:59 PM   #1

I saw this at Target today. Didn't have time to look it over, but it seems to be the same as the HD-1.

http://tinyurl.com/6lo3f8

So what was the conclusion on this model? Is it as good as the Action HDvideo in 720p mode?Because for $119 this might make a good replacement for the HDV178.I also prefer the styling of this over the Action HD.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2008, 7:22 PM   #2

The brief description of the P-HD says it has 32MB of internal memory. Aiptek says HD-1 has 1GB of internal memory. This may be a special version for Target.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:34 PM   #3

I am wondering if that is a mistake as it says 1GB on the photo. I guess next time I am in Target I'll have to take a look to see what it says on the box. If it is only 32MB, it doesn't matter, since 1GB pales against what you can put in with a cheap SDHC card.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:10 PM   #4

Here are the downsides:

1. No optical zoom;

2. No microphone input;

3. No remote control capability;

4. No HD 60 frames per second mode.

On the other hand, its 30 frames per second 720p will be as good as the 30 frames per second 720p of the Action HD and this less expensive model *does* boast an 848 x 480 60 frames per second mode.

On the other hand, its lack of an optical zoom will mean no auto-focus noise to mangle your audio.

On the other hand, you may not need a remote control capability nor an external microphone input.

So -- for the price -- it could be a decent camera, depending on what you need.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 5:37 PM   #5

Well I have been looking around at a decent replacement for my HDV178. I love this little camera and have been using it a lot to film the kids etc. but it sometimes has a slight jerk when panning on certain subjects as if the video is trying to catch up which can be a little annoying. If I keep the camera still then it seems to be ok, but that's not always possible. It's not quite enough for me to stop using it, but obviously I'd rather it not be there at all. This is why I am looking at this model.

The HDV178 has no optical zoom so I can live without it, the other three I don't really need or care for to be honest, as long as the video is decent. I still haven't decided what I am going to replace the HDV178 with as everytime I see a contender, it seems to have some non trivial issue ie like the GVS and it's overblown reds.

I have even been thinking of just using my C40 but I have to say that even with the low bitrate, I much prefer the video on the HDC178 and the other low bitrate HD camcorders.

I am also considering the DXG 595 at the moment. I'd like to buy a Canon Vixia or Panasonic HDC-SD9 but I just can't justify that kind of expense at the moment like I used to! I am always of the opinion that buying something that is 'good enough' is better than buying something really good much later and missing the kids growing up.

What it your opinion is the best of the current hybrids under $200?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:54 PM   #6

My opinion:

For under $200...

1. Aiptek Action HD

2. Aiptek A-HD+

Assumed is that you buy either model at a store that will give you a full refund, if, after testing the camcorder, it is broken in some way and needs to be returned.

The two big features I like:

a. REMOTE CONTROL CAPABILITY
b. MORE THAN ONE HD FORMAT, I.E. 720P + 1080p

If one removes the need for a remote control and more than one HD format, then -- heck -- I'd take a close look at the $130 DXG-569v now on sale at RadioShack. Then compare that to the $120 Aiptek model and follow your own instinct.

YouTube review of the DXG-569v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzd9I2bItb4

Private Idaho

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 2:41 PM   #7

Well funny enough, as I was looking at this forum, a colleague at work just showed me what he bought in Target. You guessed it. It was the Aiptek P-HD! So it looks like I shall be seeing first hand how decent it is.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:37 AM   #8

Just been playing with some videos from this device and I have to say that I prefer my HDV178 still.

The mov format of the Aipteks always seems to be a problem to play as well. In Quicktime the movement doesn't seem very fluid and a bit surreal. The same in GOM Player and it didn't play at all in VLC Player. Also the video he shot of his sons soccer game seemed a little bit posterized to me. I think that may have been due to the complexity of the scene as well though ie a soccer field with fine vegetation.

Super seems to have problems converting them too. Whatever format I convert them to, the movement appears a bit jerky.

Still playing around with the files. He likes the camera but is still deciding whether to exchange it and get another one as well. He is also looking at the Sanyo HD100. I think he said it was $169 so looks like it may have come down in price.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:51 PM   #9

Today. I spent shopping with the family, stopped by the camera booth in Taret very dissappointed at Target for not allowing a AIptek product to be handeled, and displayed for working testing.

when I had this in my hand thecamera it was nice. he problem I had was to open up the screen due to a theft deterrant device surrounding it.

the screen is deffently locked in flush to the unit, I tried my best to see ifit opens-

from there i stopped in great dissappointment and walked away. If I had this in my hand I be sur to have said a better comment. till I again get to a store that allows a hands on i shall respond then.........
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:38 AM   #10

An update. when playing with, I realized that he had left the nightshot on which is probably why the movement was a bit odd when he shot his kids soccer match even though it was in daylight. I said to him, not to use that mode as it slows the shutter speed down with odd effects. The colors compared to the Jazz HDV178 seem a little more washed out unless in very good daylight.