Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:46 PM   #1

This issue may have beeen mentioned in some thread or other concerning the Jazz Elite 178. There's no question the quality of the HD video is superb given the size and cost of the camera. The MP3, voice, and webcam functions are also quite impressive given the cost of the unit. But the digital stills function would seem to be profoundly disappointing. You can get somewhat good outdoor still shots and, depending on the light, acceptable indoor shots -- provided, that is, there's no motion in your shot. Every human figure I've shot with the camera is blurred -- which suggests a very slow shutter speed. The specs on the lense are f=7.00mm F.300. Not sure how to read that. Is the f stop 3.00 or what? And I see no specs anywhere in the manual about shutter speeds.

Has anyone experienced the same problem, and, whether you have or not, has anyone got a fix, or do we simply never use the camera for digital stills that include motion.

P.S. Here's a curiosity: I have two 178's, each with a different design. For example, one has a light that can stay on permanently for either video ot stills, and the other only has a flash, which is quite ineffective because of it's limted range. go figure.
Cinefile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:46 AM   #2

Yes the shutter is not very fast on these devices. They suffer the same problem as cellphones in that you need to hold them very still for at least a second or two after you press the shutter button. Of course part of the reason is that these devices tend to use CMOS which is slower than CCD. I know CMOS can be just as good, but we're not talking Digital SLR's here! Also they are relatively inexpensive, and since they are a camcorder first, the still image taking is secondary.

One method to minimize blurring when taking stills is to move your camera along with the subject. This will only work with slower moving subjects of course.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. Alas, you've confirmed my suspicions. Actually, the 2 megapixel stills on my HTC Touch are infinitely better than those of the 178 whichever mode used, whereas the video on the HTC Touch leaves much to be desired. So given the differences in these two cameras, they ironically make nice little small portable companions.

I did notice that the burst shot function -- which is in the SD, 5 megapixel mode -- produces better stills than the HD still mode. I thus wonder whether the hardware assist to achieve 11 megapixels is also, in addition to the slow shutter speeds, a factor in the blurry stills that result in the HD mode.

What do you make of the two different designs for the same model camera? I bought one in Canada and the other in the U.S. Wonder if that accounts for the difference in some strange marketing way.

P.S. Perhaps our thread should be moved to the subforum on the 178, a move that might allow others who own this camera to weigh in, though I doubt there's much more to be said on the topic. It's a cheap camera that just happens to produce great video, good voice memos, and adequate MP3 playback.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 1:20 PM   #4

The device only has a 5MP sensor so it's a waste of space and time using the 11MP mode anyway.

You say that one has a video light that stays on in video and still image mode and the other only has a flash? Could you clarify what you mean, because mine has both modes. Ie it has a single LED flash that stays on when shooting video but acts as a flash if you use it in still image mode. Being an LED rather than a Xenon flash means it's not very effective of course.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 2:27 PM   #5

The Jazz Elite HDV-178 model, has a diode or l.e.d., light

1 in the zoom in/out as the settingcontrol, we go to light and choose on/off, and can as well go to a quick button below the zoom, and hd for flash/light/ auto/ off etc...

Same holds true for hte pic, the L.e.d. wil lact to the movie , and to the pic in its correct manner. but only fill in the 2 feet max range. these flash strobe etc o nthis particular model is just a flash light as a Emergency light I like to call it, nothing more. it is not even strong enough to light up the shot. Since 1998 companies of the Hybrid worked on a flash or light, andstill are. Aip, Digilife,DXG etc. have now Two l.e.d. lights that only act as a emergency light,

If they have correctly used them as infrared then I be a monkeys Uncle..

Pictures in motion orwas it while in motion a picture taken, is common sense on these hybrids. this is not a Canon Rebel or a 5000.00 camera so one must understand .

Taking a shot you'l hear the sound of a shutter, not the actual shutter clicking,so when we hear this shutter we think theshot isdone, it is not.

So I like to not rush my shots anymore, and I still do. i count up to TEN

I take my time. I count to ten from start to finish andI get a perfect shot most the time, Do not move the cam when you hear the shutter it is a sound not the actual shutter closing, and that iswhy we move to gt blurred shots a few secs in the position will help.

Now on the other hand we tend to forget this Bad boy has a MULTI-SNAP and that will take 5 shots snap 1,2,5 snap 1,2,5 sanp about every 2.5 secs till 5 are snapped off.

Now if you are goingto move the cm while snapping 50/50 will probably w come out. and a member calls this a rolling shutter effect, where we see tilting.

I do love htis littlecam and all its eat features and functions probably the best all time low cam on the market............

work with it and it will work with you..........

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:33 PM   #6

I still adore --in fact, have festishize -- it, but I'm giving up on taking stills for all the reasons I've suggested.

On one of my 178's, there is only a flash, no constant led light, as there is in the other. The light on the other, the U.S. model, which is no doubt the one you guys have, can be configured through the menu ssystem to stay on constantly for either stills or video and alternatively used as just a flash with stills -- that is, conventionally it flashes when you take a still. In any case, the flash is totally useless, as I'm sure you all know.

I've shot relatively acceptable indoor HD video by attaching a light array through the tripod connection, but let's remember the focal length and f stop of the lens are not the best for any sort of low light. This camera works best outdoors, as I'm sure all users have learned.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:26 AM   #7

The diode will only go constant on in a video ONLY,

TheDiode will only flash in a still shot pic ONLY

the Diode will not stay constant on in a Still pic mode at all.

Cinefile wrote:
Quote:
I still adore --in fact, have festishize -- it, but I'm giving up on taking stills for all the reasons I've suggested.

On one of my 178's, there is only a flash, no constant led light, as there is in the other. The light on the other, the U.S. model, which is no doubt the one you guys have, can be configured through the menu ssystem to stay on constantly for either stills or video and alternatively used as just a flash with stills -- that is, conventionally it flashes when you take a still. In any case, the flash is totally useless, as I'm sure you all know.

I've shot relatively acceptable indoor HD video by attaching a light array through the tripod connection, but let's remember the focal length and f stop of the lens are not the best for any sort of low light. This camera works best outdoors, as I'm sure all users have learned.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote