Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:24 PM   #1

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10575194

This may be slightly off-topic, but if you're wanting a cheap new editing computer -- which should be just fast enough to edit SD and 720p -- check out the $348 Acer Aspire One Netbook.

It runs Windows XP Home and comes with 1GB of ram.

It won't be blazing fast by any means, but it might be all you really want/need.

Pretty low price.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:49 PM   #2

Also... a slightly different model:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10575196
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:12 PM   #3

it is OFFTOPIC:

and target sold a model for 299.99

last weekend...............
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:22 PM   #4

You're probably talking about this one...

http://www.target.com/ASUS-8-9-Netbo...8&frombrowse=1

...right?

Well, it doesn't seem to have a hard disk big enough to handle hybrid camcorder files.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:23 PM   #5

Here's the one for $299:

http://www.target.com/ASUS-8-9-Netbo...e=1&rh=&page=1

See? Small hard disk. Not big enough for hybrids.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 4:43 PM   #6

I have the ASUS Surf 2G which only has 2 GB of memory and only 256 MB free. I added Mencoder to take my Aiptek A-HD+ clips to and turn them into Xvid clips that fit the screen since it won't display the HD but does fine with the Xvid conversion. I can either put the SD card into the machine or hook up the camera. I don't do any editing as that's not the purpose of the machine but just something handy when traveling mainly to get email and web surf. If I want to show any clips on my machine then the conversion utility works fine for that. You can also use SD cards and USB sticks for extra memory.

I would recommend at least the 4 GB version (not sure they're even selling 2 GB versions anymore). This market is heating up with more competition. Even Sony whose VIAO head chagrined over the emergence of these netbooks has jumped into the frey (with an overpriced model of course -- unclear of the concept). SSD memory however is now as large as 128 GB so there is really no need for mechanical hard drives (which can of course crash).

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 4:32 AM   #7

I seen a review of the acer notebook and7 others in pcmag and they gave it apretty good review.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2320512,00.asp

I was thinking of getting this to run my delorme gps when traveling.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:17 PM   #8

To bing this back on topic, I have an aspire One. It does not have the video processor needed to play HD video without a lot of stopping and starting even from the hard drive, so it isn't really a good choice for anything to do with your HD 'corder except as a place to unload your videos on the road. I broke mine anyway (cracked the screen, a very common problem with the AAO), so I'm in the market for a new one. I don't think that I'll buy another. And Target is selling a cheap version of the eeePC, not the Acer. The Target eeePC is a Target specific model that is stripped down with the old Celeron processor and only 512MB RAM and the slow SSD. You would be better off getting the 900A model from Best buy for the same price.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:55 AM   #9

I purchased the Aspire One Walmart in store model that has a 120GB hard drive and is running windows XP. While it can't smoothly play the original H.264 1440x1080 videos that my Sanyo VPC-HD100 and DXG-595V HD cams take, it can playback smoothly those videos if I re-encode them to HD MPEG2 at 1440x1080. I use a bitrate of 11250Kbps with MPEG stereo audio. The encoded video looks great on the Aspire One when I play it using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. I really like this Netbook, and think it is a valuable asset to HD cam owners because of its small size and ability to copy theSD card from the cam whenit is full to its hard drive. That way you will not run out of SD memory when recording out on a location shoot.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:10 AM   #10

I use a similar netbook and love it for this, I'm using the lenovo s10 and running apple leopard 10.5.5 with imovie and iphoto, I can clip/cut edit and export to youtube or facebook or smugmug right on the road

I've not had any playback issues with it, if windows media player cant do it, I would try another media player
mega72a is offline   Reply With Quote