Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:36 PM   #1

Im finishing up high school and me and my best friend have decided to pretty much tour the south going to a bunch of music festivals and concerts. I want to make a documentary of everything in the WHOLE trip(at any time). So i need suggestions for a hybrid cam. As i said i will be filming concerts, and also i will be filming some wery fast moving objects, such as sports (college football/basketball), and im gonna take it to all the parties i go to(low light) so i need suggestions.

I Need a camera that has a good mic, good battery life,is rugged/party proof, and performs well in low light, and i would also like it to have HD Capability. Right now im looking at the Panasonic SDR-SW20, the Sanyo xacti line, and the aiptek 1080p camcorders. Maybe the Jazz line is good, but i dont know, i know fishycomics has experience with all these cameras so i think he could help me out.

Thanks for the help in advance.
groupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2

Would you like some fries and a soda with that? :lol:

But seriously, if such a thing existed, then every other little cam would be outdated and overrun by the increasing sales of this 'magical' camera you mention.

A camcorder/camera/hybrid is a very delicated electronics piece, and if you know it will be subjected to relentless abuse during your travels, perhaps you are better off spending your money on one of the Action HD aipteks that now are on sale.

you have to give some room for compromise.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:39 PM   #3

yeah, i know what youre sayin..but i dont want my camera to crap out on me in the middle of a party/concert..because then my little documentary/movie would be incomplete.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 1:49 AM   #4

if you have the money (and luck to find a second hand for cheap) you can look into an HD2 from Sanyo.

HD format, SD memory (no moving parts = durable), CCD sensor (equals a decent image quality under low light conditions, but dont expect miracles... from this or any other cam), microphone input (since you mention the ability to capture good audio... you can always plug a decent mic and away you go! )

It is not a current model, hard to find used and overpriced when 'new'.

If you can do with Standard definition, the I recommend a Sanyo CG65 (which is what I have for a while). Excellent camera that records 30 frames progressive at 640x480, uses a CCD sensor (excellent moving and night shots too), etc. Again, not a current model.

Whatever camera you pick, I recommend running the model on vimeo's search (or youtube's) so you can actually see footage from the camera in different scenarios.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:55 AM   #5

Thank you for the Questions about a Hybrid cam.

being on a low budget i will comment only on the product I own............

1 Aiptek 1080 HD:

batt life 50 min max, ext battery claimse double the life in recording.

You mention Concerts: http://vimeo.com/991922 I concider this to me a good test it is music it is loud and it is a controlled audience. If you want something more demanding, then we must understand the camera more.

You mention Low light; common sense no light no video light on object video produced. http://vimeo.com/972631 I concider this a test in low light, and I do have others

you mention sports http://vimeo.com/1168120this is not exactly sports but in the vid i talk and a Eagle fly by so if you care or not this vid is the most imortant to mefornumber of reasons and I'll explain why down the page.

I would keep in mind that if you have a budget, and are looking to spend 200.00 as a example. I alwayskeep an option open can I go a lil higher, what if down the road i want a real cam etc.............

you will be spending for options on these cams that are limited , and can lead up to a more expensive model.

I will now explain a lil,why that vid is important to me:

I shot with the A-HD+, recoreded sound with the JAzz Elite HDV-178 sound recorder

I did not have a plan, but went along with the scenery etc around me, and was limited to time before the crouds came along. a lot of editing went into the the video as well as filming..................................

So to say this and to be happy I can say this. No matter what you get you can alwayswork out the details.

it is your decision on what you re looking for good luck in your choice

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:07 PM   #6

A couple of practical points.

If available, a padded case with a strap so you can sling it around your neck. Main thing is to secure the camera so it can't be dropped or otherwise exposed to damage.

The other thing is spare batteries that are kept charged.
260DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:17 PM   #7

Yeah, think it goes with out saying that carrying extra batteries is a must and a good sized memory card. I was pretty happy with my Kodak z1285 camera when taking it to a music festival. 2500mah AA rechargeables gave it a nice long battery life. The festival I went to, they weren't supposed to allow anything that looked like an actual camcorder, just point-and-shoot cameras, not that people didn't easily sneak them in anyway.

I'll upload an hd video from one of the concerts to vimeo for an idea.

flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:28 PM   #8

flowbee wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, think it goes with out saying that carrying extra batteries is a must and a good sized memory card. I was pretty happy with my Kodak z1285 camera when taking it to a music festival. 2500mah AA rechargeables gave it a nice long battery life. The festival I went to, they weren't supposed to allow anything that looked like an actual camcorder, just point-and-shoot cameras, not that people didn't easily sneak them in anyway.

I'll upload an hd video from one of the concerts to vimeo for an idea.

thanks
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:48 PM   #9

remember no matter what you decide will work out fine.......

Spare batterries, are great to have 2 or 3 even a dc adapter for the car

thinking ofwide angle, it is only good on certain shots.

portable tripod or monopod.

even the av input can be adapted to a wider angle bulet cam like we see on tv.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote