Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 15, 2008, 2:28 AM   #21

I just tested a sony 580 based bullet cam with the Aiptek ActionHD digitizing.
Resolution: I don't think it's sampling at 320 across, I think it is higher. I compared a clip downrezed to 320 x 240 to the original clip, and the original clip did show more detail. The biggest complaint from my indoor 'quicky' test id that the highlights of the captured video are aliased ( jaggie ). There seems to be some over zealous edge enhancement by something and maybe that is kicking into high on the highlights and sharper edges. I tried processing these artifacts out, but it still looks pretty bad.
lesdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:02 PM   #22

i'm looking for high definition helmet cam. vholdr is not hd cam. i use aiptek go hd for my underwatersport but problem is focus keep moving.sample takenhttp://www.vimeo.com/964558
kuya_ed2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:30 PM   #23

lesdit wrote:
Quote:
I just tested a sony 580 based bullet cam with the Aiptek ActionHD digitizing.
Resolution: I don't think it's sampling at 320 across, I think it is higher. I compared a clip downrezed to 320 x 240 to the original clip, and the original clip did show more detail. The biggest complaint from my indoor 'quicky' test id that the highlights of the captured video are aliased ( jaggie ). There seems to be some over zealous edge enhancement by something and maybe that is kicking into high on the highlights and sharper edges. I tried processing these artifacts out, but it still looks pretty bad.
Can you post an original sample clip (no re-compression) of the digitized footage from Action HD using the bullet cam?

Perhaps to Mediafire or similar service. I have a fairly good idea of what's happening but need a clip to confirm it. :|
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:39 AM   #24

I can post a short clip on the weekend.
I don't know 'who' is doing the over done edge enhancement, the bullet camera or the Aiptek recorder, but it sure is ugly!

What is your theory ?

I have only recorder external video from this bullet cam so far, so I don't know how it does from an SD dvd player, or some other more pure SD source.

For simplicity I've been thinking to get the VIO POV1 bullet cam/recorder combo. It seems to make a pretty clean image, and it is waterproof to 1 meter or so, and has a nifty remote. But I want HD .... damit

Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:24 PM   #25

lesdit wrote:
Quote:
I don't know 'who' is doing the over done edge enhancement, the bullet camera or the Aiptek recorder, but it sure is ugly!

What is your theory ?

Is not about edge-enhancement or anything like that. The thing is, most likely than not, the bullet cam is a CCD device that sends the output video interlaced to the recording device...

Since your recording device happens to record in progressive mode (full frames instead of fields), you get 2 fields overlapping on each frame.

If your recording device was a minidv camera (for example) then everything would look normal, since most minidv cameras record interlaced too).

So that's my theory, but I canno't confirm until Im able to see a recorded clip from your devices.

And by the way, interlacing is not a bad thing, but it is being phased out by all the progressive displays (LCD tvs, progressive projectors, LC computer monitors) as well as by all the recording devices (in progressive mode).

It is the technology that powers interlaced displays (tube televisions, vhs recorders, minidv cameras, etc).
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:29 AM   #26

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/527751.html
Chiumanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:12 AM   #27

Chiumanfu wrote:
Quote:
The HXR-MC1 camcorder has full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution, and features Sony's ClearVid CMOS Sensor
CMOS sensor + action movement (found on helmet cams) = utter failure

That's probably the reason this manufacturer will NOT post video samples before the camera is available for purchase... that way they can at least make a buck or two.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:16 PM   #28

The HXR-MC1 looks great, for my next trip after this one.
I go on the motorcycle trip in 30 days.

As far as cmos issues : I have done some bike mounted tests with the Aiptek, which is also rolling shutter cmos, and even when the shaking is downright violent, after software steady correction it looks good. The software correction considers the motion vectors and takes out most of the rolling shutter artifacting. The plugin , called deshaker, works with virtual dub and is freeware.

Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:13 PM   #29

Chiumanfu wrote:
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:04 PM   #30

Talking with several Sony Professional dealers in the UK and Canada, the new Sony HXR-MC1 will be available in February (PAL version first) and at current exchange rates be roughly $1950 USD, a little bit more with the accessory pack of case/lens/cables/etc. It has been used already to shoot a few TV shows including some Storm Chaser-type stuff and some other on-vehicle use, with reported good success. Even if you had to use a deshaker program on it, I still think it would be worth it.

Spec Sheet-- http://www.HighDefDVR.com/HXRMC1.pdf

ChaseCam is planning on releasing an "HD" version of their MPEG-2 + Compact Flash recorder, but I am hearing very very high prices. I personally would rather have the support and technical ability of Sony than a tiny company, but that is just me. I would like to see side-by-side comparisons, though.

JamesWilson is offline   Reply With Quote