Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 13, 2008, 6:13 PM   #1

1280 x 720
9.0 Mbps

H264 video & AAC audio
1.5" LCD
60 min recording time on internal 4GB
Fixed focus
2 hr rechargable battery -> recharge in 2-3 hours
3.3 oz

www.TheFlip.com

overnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:59 AM   #2

1/4.5 inch CMOS sensor f/2.4 lens

2.2um pixels compared to 5.6um of the SD flips (>2 f-stops smaller).

so any low-light capability is due to intelligent shutter-speed control. Pity, because the SD Flip used by be so good indoors.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:42 PM   #3

About time they released an HD version. I'm looking forward to see how the video quality is. It's built for fun so I don't have that high expectation of it but 1.5" LCD? They should atleast have upgraded it to a 2". Oh well, maybe the next Flip Mino2 HD will have larger lcd if they don't make the camera smaller.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:58 PM   #4

I think it's still a little overpriced but then we are talking about the 'ipod' of the video camcorders. With 9Mbps, I would expect it to have similar video quality to the Xacti line.

Well cnet.com already has a review: http://tinyurl.com/65bozj

They think the video is a little better than the Kodak Zi6 but it doesn't seem to be able to output in HD to a TV which I think is a little odd. After all isn't this the type of device that you'd take to your relatives, shoot a quick little HD video of the kids and then want to show it immediately on their HDTV? I know they want to keep things simple and not everyone has a HDTV yet, but at least you'd think they would have a HD output. The Kodak Zi6 apparently does.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:42 PM   #5

*Another review by cam-corderinfo.com:

http://www.cam-corderinfo.com/content/Pure-Digital-Flip-MinoHD-Camcorder-Review-35690.htm

They seem to think it's very good but do point out the absurdity of the lack of a proper HDTV output!

*Remove the '-' from cam-corderinfo.com since for some reason this forum censors the sitename with ***. Could Steve tell us why this happens? It doesn't seem to do this with any of the major digital camera sites, only with cam-corderinfo.com

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:31 PM   #6

Excellent low-light sensitivity. That is good news indeed. Pity they didn't attempt to measure shutter speed. Never mind, even a 1/15 shutter speed looks relatively fluid when compressed by H264 and YouTube. Actually, it often looks better than a 1/60 shutter...

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the review.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:23 PM   #7

Well it is a "PC" or Youtube oriented hybrid camera, so it is obvious why they didn't include an HDMI socket on it although it would have been nice. I agree with it being overpriced.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote