Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 16, 2008, 9:01 PM   #1

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to decide between the three models listed above for a christmas gift for someone who wants HD. Obviously, I can't afford anything above 200 so I can't get one of those fancy HD cameras.

I found this forum using google as I was researching the DXG cam and have gone through all 23 pages of that camera's review and was impressed by some of the sample videos (though that site vimeo started crashing on me after a few views). I'm halfway through the Aiptek review and looking through some Sanyo threads.

My question would be if you had to buy one of the three which one would it be and why?

Also, at this price point would it be better to buy say a Mini DV standard definition camcorder (some of those are in a similar price range) or would the picture quality regardless of whether it's true HD be better with these camcorders.

Thanks in advance for any help, I found most other sites to be pretty condescending to these models and all giving scathing reviews, but the reviews and videos on this site give a much more balanced story.

PS
Reposted here since I'm not sure if anyone in the main forums is familiar with these models.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:37 AM   #2

Welcome Aboard Speed..........

I own the Action Hd, and A-HD+ cameras are Auto focus, and fixed focus with AV input. and other models

I looked at the sanyo HD100, and read the DXG595/6V

I also own a tape unit JVC GR-d395U

Sound, video style, will be what everyone is after

I can only comment on what I own, and hopefully some of the members will join in:

I take two cams with me every other day the Action, and the Jazz Elite HDV-178 (99.99)

the Action I like due to the optical zoom, and macro mode, the macro mode is great, 60fps at 720p andalso to have a few other settings in the res not just three.

Downside will be rolling shutter, sound andfocus hunt, as well as battery life. very hapy if asked me.

now if it is justa gift, and $$$ is an issue do not forget to look at the

JAZZ ELITE HDV-178 cost $99.99 I take this with me super small does a great job has more features over the others but not much. sharpness and motion detection multi shot.

good luck on your choice

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
My question would be if you had to buy one of the three which one would it be and why?

Also, at this price point would it be better to buy say a Mini DV standard definition camcorder (some of those are in a similar price range) or would the picture quality regardless of whether it's true HD be better with these camcorders.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:09 AM   #3

Hello there, I`ve purchased the Aussie Kogan version ( probaly the same ) of the DXG 596, takes great movies in 1080 and the detail of shots, as my partner commented, is like a movie when viewed on a 1080P 40" Samsung LCD Tv. All the comments point to a fairly good and solid build and expensive looks , even if it is lower priced item.
I`m very happy with it,
I purchased this camcorder to have the highest possible resolution on my TV, and now I wouldn`t be interested in anything lower, and it just plugs and plays into my TV.
vfastbear australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:43 PM   #4

Fishycomics,
Thanks for the advice. I did not know about the Jazz, I will look into it. Compared to the Aiptek 1080p mode or even 720p mode, how is the video on the Jazz - would you say it is same quality, better, worse? Also is there an article that can explain what the Macro mode is - not very familiar with that.

And what extra features does the Jazz have?

vfastbear,
At the moment I have to admit I am leaning towards the DXG, I just want to make sure I make the correct, informed decision. I remember beforehand the Aipteks used to be known for low quality youtube videos, but since that has changed. I initially excluded them from my search until I saw the reviews in this forum, so I want to be sure I explore all options.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:45 PM   #5

I think I will also explain why I am leaning towards the DXG:

I want something with some sort of Optical zoom - the DXG says it has 5X - the Aiptek has 3X (I believe) and the Jazz and Sanyo have none?

I want still pictures - the DXG seems to have the best resolution for these.

The sound - the Camcorder will be used to record people talking - it seems the DXG stereo sound would be the best for that?

Or would the Aiptek work as well or even the Jazz?

I'd love to spend 100 if I could get something that would get the job done - making great quality/sounding videos.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:47 PM   #6

Jazz is an ALL time Low budget like I said super-small. it is below the Aipteks line and not as smooth as Aiptek. but t ha is where you can compare these two because of the same Hybrid style.

jazz what extras thought I said like MP3 player 8x digital photo fun multicam motion detection sharpness,

not saying it is the better cam but I am saying it is the better low budget model more bang for the buck.

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Fishycomics,
Thanks for the advice. I did not know about the Jazz, I will look into it. Compared to the Aiptek 1080p mode or even 720p mode, how is the video on the Jazz - would you say it is same quality, better, worse? Also is there an article that can explain what the Macro mode is - not very familiar with that.

And what extra features does the Jazz have?

vfastbear,
At the moment I have to admit I am leaning towards the DXG, I just want to make sure I make the correct, informed decision. I remember beforehand the Aipteks used to be known for low quality youtube videos, but since that has changed. I initially excluded them from my search until I saw the reviews in this forum, so I want to be sure I explore all options.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:34 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. I finally went for it since I wanted it sooner than later (it's a christmas, but I'm trying to get it ready by Thanksgiving so they can record family).

I went ahead and ordered the DXG and the reasons are below:

Features:

The 5X Optical Zoom is something none of the other cameras had.

Stereo sound - once again, not on any other camera.

Tripod - the other cameras can not be tri-pod mounted and since image stablilization is an issue sometimes I think the tripod mount feature is good to have.

Still Images: I was impressed by the still image samples for the DXG and even if the claimed 8MP isn't reached it still looked great to me.

Cost - the DXG can be had for 179.97 at Walmart.com and they also have the cheapest protection plan for camcorders (28.88 for 3 years which start after the manufacturer's warranty ends).

I hope I made the right choice. I ordered 2 kingston 8GB cards (SDHC, Class 2) hopefully those will work well.

The Jazz was a nice value, but I wanted 1080p if possible.

The new GVS Aiptek looks to have the same features as the DXG but is not out yet and will be more expensive (50 bucks).

I found some videos on Vimeo showing what the new Sanyo HD100 is capable of (199.99 at walmart) and I played with it in the store as well and it was nice, but still lacked in features compared to the DXG.

Thanks to this forum as the DXG thread gave me all I needed to make my decision. I just hope it comes with the new firmware, otherwise I will have to follow directions to install the new one as I want to give this gift in ready to use condition.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:05 PM   #8

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Tripod - the other cameras can not be tri-pod mounted and since image stablilization is an issue sometimes I think the tripod mount feature is good to have.

Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:11 PM   #9

Wow - I had never seen that - great to know. I was seriously giving the Aiptek and Sanyo a look - but the Sanyo had no image stabilization at all and since it is so new it is impossible to get much info on it outside of running to walmart and buying it.

I am really looking forward to the GVS to see how that one turns out - do you have a pre-order on it Fishycomics?

If so I can't wait for the review on that one.

I will keep my eyes on this forum as I plan to purchase one of these for myself within a year probably.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:50 PM   #10

As just pointing out what you thought was not shown, the jazz does have many features, for its low price. stabilization is one of them will not be the best one but like isaid it has one, On the Aip's yes theyalso do on older versions or newer ones, not he Action or A-Hd model.

The Aiptek GVS is OVER PRICED, since opening day, we are keeping an eye out, to preorder, and have a company hold ALL your cash, not good. A deposite is GOOD, 10 % would be fine if asked, unsure if Amazon allows that.

I will not invest at this given time, as i did not on the HS-HD, and HD1 why take steps foward, a step foward, and two steps back.

At a given time I will be wit hte cam, like the Action Hd, not now unless i am approached wit han offer I cannot refuse.