Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:41 PM   #1

Okay, I put 3 cameras on the same stand, hit record, and then did a few golf swings. The cameras were the Canon SD850, Aiptek GO-HD+, and the Aiptek HSHD (also known as hi-speed 720p). The Canon can only record at 640 by 480 at 30 fps, but I used it as a reference camera to compare the Aipteks to. The videos in the links posted haven't been edited in any way:

Aiptek HSHD at 720p and 60 fps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=962XQ9EY

Aiptek HSHD at 720p and 30 fps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z5QWYYYQ

Aiptek GO-HD at 720p and 30 fps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6PZ3SVXD

Canon SD850 at 480p and 30 fps
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M39GQIRG

The Canon is primarily a compact camera with a video function, but it does show what is possible. I think the picture on the HSHD and GO-HD could be improved with post-processing (contrast, gamma, video noise). And I could see that the HSHD captured quick motion much better in the 60 fps setting.
fuzz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:13 PM   #2

Just finished downloading your clips. You're right about the HSHD 60fps handling motion much better than 30fps modes. With 60fps you can also slow it down to half or even more to evaluate your swings better. The HSHD videos are a bit brighter than the older Go-HD. The Canon has without a doubt better colors. I think it uses the Motion JPEG codec for video, which is memory hungry format as it doesn't compress as much.

Thx for taking your time to make those clips.

I don't know much about golf so cannot comment on your golf swings:-).
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:53 PM   #3

Is there any chance that you could film some full sun midday outside footage? Nobody around here has done any on this camera. But this is winter now, and snow makes the latitude look better, but that is still good. Any chance you are in Florida or California .

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:21 PM   #4

I just got back from Jamaica and used the HSHD for lots of sunny footage. I'll post some video tomorrow. I think it did a good job, but no way of knowing until I see it on the big screen.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 8:49 AM   #5

Thanks fuzz
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:46 AM   #6

No prob. I'll try to throw up a video tonight. Been busy.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:02 AM   #7

Alright, I finally had time to upload a couple Jamaica videos of the Aiptek HSHD in action in ideal lighting conditions. I think it does a good job. The colors might be slightly washed out, but it's more than acceptable for a $150 dollar device. I threw a 16 GB card into the camera before our honeymoon and just took footage all the time at 60 fps. I had something like 5 hours of space available if I wanted it. Wow.

The first video is maybe ten seconds of footage and the second one is closer to two minutes (about 60 Megabytes). Enjoy.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3451P795

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VTMGG8MU

Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:50 PM   #8

Thanks Fuzz.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:06 PM   #9

I have looked at the 6 second footage, and am very happy with the latitude compared to the 600's 720p footage, but I will have to take time comparing the two in-depth.

From what little I can tell, the exposure is set way too high in camera, de-saturating the colours. The colour also seems to have a yellow mis-coloring to it (even after I adjusted my monitor to 9300K bluish color), which is unacceptable. To adjust color and exposure sufficiently in PC you need 10-bit+ color, consumer cameras only have 8-bit values, so having the color optimised in camera is very important. If you desire to optimise the image with poor 8-bit footage you can run out of head room. But unless there is bright red/pinky red like the 600, I prefer this to the 600.

Setting the exposure lower (maybe to the bottom) could correct this, and trying white balance settings.

When I get time to examine this in-depth it might prove nice acceptable consumer footage otherwise.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:47 PM   #10

I have done some further testing on the footage. The crawling aliasing is still there (look at the hill range in distance) but I will have to test further to see if it is my hardware. I adjusted the RGB color channels on my monitor and have some quick preliminary results. At the moment I have lucked on 75% red, 87% green, and 100% blue, as not too bad (50% brightness saturates the colors more but losses detail under the beach bed in long scene). But 75% red and green also works (but coconut trees are still yellowish). You would know what best matches the color from personal experience.

It might well be color correction issues, sensor, or color mask (and hopefully not a complimentary color one).

Tried 85% red and 91% green, the off red building color looks more authentic but coconut leaves look yellow (which they are at times).

Forgot rolling shutter is there, more easy to sea slowed down though.

The footage has the appearance of an particular type of old film (undesirable).

Thanks again Fuzz.