Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:11 AM   #1
dai

I am seeking to buy the a compact/ultracompact digicam that has the best movie function. I just bought and received a Casio z300 with h.264 HD. It was horrible! The canon with lower res came out much better!!!

Any suggestions as to other brands? Panasonic?
dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:59 PM   #2

That's interesting, it's always been my understanding that Casio's have one of the better digital camera video modes. The samples I have seen from various models seem pretty good. Do you have any original samples from the z300 that you can put somewhere to download? I'd like to see what they look like.

Also were you filming indoors or outdoors and what model of Canon did you compare it with?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:20 PM   #3
dai

Specs don't mean anything! I was tricked by Casio. they advertise has having h.294 HD.

Casio Z300 result: blurry and the color keeps changing due to a suspected auto white balancing not working well. Straight lines also keep moving. Even when it is still, it is blurry. The movie itself has an orange brown tone to it. Smooth movement, no stepping.

Canon SD1100 result: much better, even neutral colors, smooth movement, no stepping.

Canon A590 result: This camera has the lowest specs and the lowest FPS, yet gave the best results! Everything was similar to the Canon SD1100 but sharper and clearer. There was some stepping though but its worth it in return for a sharper clearer movie.

I did this test filing the same exact subjects with the same movement.

Conclusion: The quality of the movie is related to the quality of the stills. Thus, if the camera can produce great stills, it will produce great movies. The canon produced the crappiest stills despite having 10 MP. the Canon A590 (cheapo budget cam for $150 or less but highly rated as a best buy by everyone) produces the best stills and thus the best movies.

A yr ago, I bought the top of the line Xacti. Horrible! The IS did not seem to work and the colors were very fake looking.

dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:29 PM   #4

It's funny you say that - I have the Canon 570IS and have gotten complements on the video quality and picture quality. I bought it last year in CC black friday sale for $ 125 - not necessarily cheap for me - but I guess it is on the lower end for cameras. I did side by side comparisons with it and the DXG 595V and I found 595V to have nicer colors, resolution, etc. - but still the Canon did not take bad videos.

They have cameras that take 720p video - downside to this system is the fact that most of these cameras top video out at a limit - Fujifilm limits videos to 15 minutes - so you have to take that into account. On the other hand when you get a hybrid camcorder you tend to not have the same video size limit or a larger one and you won't have limits to how many pictures you can take.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:19 PM   #5

I never said that specs mean everything. I have seen samples myself andsome of the Casios do produce very good video. Of course I am on about the Standard Definition Casios though.I like Canons and I have a Canon A640 at work, butthe video it produces isn't really all that exceptional in my opinion. The SD1100 does produce very nice video though.

By top of the line Xacti, I assume you mean the HD1010? This was highly rated by cam-corderinfo.com, so if you didn't like that then you won't like any of the hybrids discussed in here.

How about the HD Kodaks? Trevmar here has one of these and could give you more information about it. You may also see if you can find some original video filesamples from the HD Panasonics. That is the best way to evaluate them.

To be honest, this is more of a hybrid camcorder forum, so you might get better answers asking in the various digicam forums. Of course you will no doubt get answers biased to that forums brand but that's to be expected.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:01 PM   #6

H.264 STANDARD is not here yet.

I understand why Canon is going this direction with the A880 but it will still take at least another year for the whole industry to convert. With the current economic situation it will probably take 2-3 years for the standard to be fully recognized and used by all.

The largest negative is that the H.264 movies are not recorded as an AVI but as a MOV file. Who uses Mov files? The majority? No way. The 95% majority of the world is on an IBM MS Windows platform and therefore may not ever move to using MOV files. Currently Windows Media Player does not play mov files. Maybe Microsoft will come up with a new standard that will compete against Mov/apple/quicktime but I doubt it.

All in All, if you record movies in H.264 Mov format, you must use quicktime or ALV software to view it. I also tried the Canon Exlim 300 (1280x720p) and the movies were fraught with errors. It was a mess so to speak. Canon's going to have to revamp their cameras.

footjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:17 PM   #7

What's wrong with a 15 min limit? Most people get bored after 15 mins of other people's videos. 5-10 min. videos are much more desireable.

footjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:35 PM   #8

Some people like to film longer - film long times and then edit it down - greater chance of catching moments you might have missed. It might be annoying to have to wait every 15 minutes etc. Think about people wanting to film a wedding, recital, etc.

But for those interested the Fujifilms cam with HD is on sale for 230 at newegg.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:23 PM   #9

footjoy wrote:
Quote:
What's wrong with a 15 min limit? Most people get bored after 15 mins of other people's videos. 5-10 min. videos are much more desireable.

Then why have any camcorder or camera record longer than this? There is a reason. Many events are much longer than this and it is difficult, if not impossible, to decide on the spur of the moment what gets recorded and what gets left out. That's the beauty of modern devices, you can edit this at leisure sometime later. I like the choice to decide for myself and not be limited by the device.

Most devices, even if recording direct to memory, take time to close the file and start a new one, which is often enough time to miss something. There are often times when I *thought* I had started recording and then realized I wasn't! Having to keep stop and starting the recording during an event increases the chance of this happening.

For what it's worth, most of the time when I am videoing with my devices, I do tend to record clips of just a few minutes at a time, but that doesn't mean there are not times when I DO need the ability to record much longer.

Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:20 PM   #10

I don't know if it's the best but The kodak z1285 is alright and shoots in 720P. In person the camera is nice and small. I don't believe it has a recording limit, if it does its at least 30 minutes.

http://vimeo.com/2255920

Link to a video I did at a show. I consider that to be challenging recording conditions because of the lighting. Half way through the video I used the zoom on it and it worked OK.
flowbee is offline   Reply With Quote