Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:04 PM   #1

So I got my DXG-595V today and shot some videos to test it.

Here are the problems I noticed:

1. In the pictures a dead pixel is apparent. It is not my computer - is this possible? For a lens to have a dead pixel? There is a bright white dot at the same place in each picture.

2. There sis a transparent line that runs up and down and left and right directly in the middle of the video and in some pictures. It does not show up in all pictures, but so far it has shown up in all the video.

At first I thought the lines may have been a cross hair, but then it showed up in the video. Could this be an interference or lighting issue? These two problems make me think I may have gotten a bad lens?

Here is a sample video I took with it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TVYC5128

It is short - if anyone would be willing to download and give any ideas of what the problem may be I would appreciate it.

speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:36 PM   #2

It's not the lens but the CMOS sensor that would have the dead pixel and that isn't that unusual on any brand. If the dead pixel also shows up in the video file and photos when displayed on the PC then it's the sensor, if not then it may be the LCD screen itself in which case it won't affect the video and it's your call then if it's irritating enough to return it. On the other hand if it is the sensor then I would certainly exchange it. There is nothing more irritating, once you know it's there, than a stuck or dead pixel!

I noticed the video was in rar format. It is always preferable to use zip as it's much more universal. Video files are already highly compressed and even though rar compresses a bit more than zip it's not enough of a difference to make it worthwhile due to lack of compatibility. I know you can find rar utilities but I don't find rar useful enough to bother with them.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:44 PM   #3

I think for some reason I became accustomed to .rar but you are correct in that it is not a widely accepted format.

Here is a link to the pure .mov file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AYPN0S51

I got some feedback in another thread that lead me to believe it was a faulty sensor - the lines show up on my videos but I have never seen them in any other low light or dark videos filmed with this camera or any other one. I will be returning for another one to walmart tomorrow.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:13 PM   #4

Yes I see what you mean about the cross hair. It's only visible full screen. Does it show up in normal lighting conditions?

As to the stuck pixel, I can't see it since you have lots of small dots all over the keyboard which of course move with the camera! The best way to show a stuck pixel is to place something over the camera lens so the subject is completely dark.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:21 PM   #5

Well it does and it doesn't show up in normal lighting conditions. The test that made me sure there was something off was in a large room with large flourescent overhead lighting. When I would shoot any light colors ( walls, silver metal, etc.) there would be no lines - but whenever I would shoot a dark colored object in the exact same light the lines would show up - so basically any time dark colors made up 50% or more of the image then the lines show - which makes me think it is a problem with the camera and not the lighting conditions.

I took some later pictures and did not see the stuck pixel - so either it woke up or maybe it was a pixel size piece of dust? Either way, I could live with the stuck pixel. My monitor has a stuck pixel and most companies do not consider it a problem unless there are more than 4 or they are bunched together.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:24 PM   #6

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Yes I see what you mean about the cross hair. It's only visible full screen...
It's only visible 'fullscreen' or when the playback is at the original size because the affected pixels have not been discarded from being interpolated (when playback is done at 75% or less of the original size). Meaning, you got a bad cmos sensor and those lines are actually recorded by your camera.

It is not a lightning issue nor interference (electronic interference is intermittent, not constant, same goes for lightning since your shot is not completely steady).
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:28 PM   #7

Thank you! Hopefully the replacement they will send will be good and this will work to its full capacity! None of the video was anywhere near the quality I had seen on the demos for this - even in the best lighting - so I assume the bad CMOS sensor was affecting for than just those cross hairs.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 3:12 PM   #8

subc wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Yes I see what you mean about the cross hair. It's only visible full screen...
It's only visible 'fullscreen' or when the playback is at the original size because the affected pixels have not been discarded from being interpolated (when playback is done at 75% or less of the original size). Meaning, you got a bad cmos sensor and those lines are actually recorded by your camera.

It is not a lightning issue nor interference (electronic interference is intermittent, not constant, same goes for lightning since your shot is not completely steady).
That is what I was thinking too ie when fullscreen you are using original pixels (within reason) and not a resample.