Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:01 PM   #1

I have been reading in this forum for about 2 months, it seem that the cheap popular models are aiptek's and jazz hdv178, but what about SVP T-200... it is pretty cheap and it seems similiar to the hdv178 from specs only.
I personally like the aiptek ahd+ image better over the hdv178, but the lack of image stabilization makes it an unusable camcorder for me.
So, does anyone have some video samples from the svp t-200? or know something about its still and video quality? cause it says in their webpage that it has image stabilization and i was wondering if may be for a little extra cash i could have something with a little better video that the jazz
Thnks :-)
kaminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:40 PM   #2

i wish i knew!

i would also like to see the t-100 model, which is supposedly better.
the sensor is better on the 100, too.
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:09 PM   #3

I couldn't decide between the Jazz Elite 188 and the SVP T-200, so I ended up buying both on eBay for $85 and $115, respectively.

Pros:
The T-200 is much smaller than the Elite. I'm talking cell phone, drop it in your shirt pocket and forget it small.
I like the placement of the video and shutter buttons better vs the Elite.
Also, the screen can be opened and folded down flat for video playback. But that was it for pros over the Elite.

Cons:
The T-200 feels "sharp" in your hand as the edges are not as rounded and comfortable as the Elite.
The blue electronic "soft touch" buttons are too sensitive and too close together.
Battery life seemed much shorter than the Elite.
There's no LED on for video.
And I was annoyed by how the T-200 dumps video and still picture files onto the SD card together in the same folder, rather than separating them like the Elite.

In addition, there were quality and/or manufacturing issues with my T-200. The camera "locked up" on me several times. The first was when trying to connect to the camera in "mass storage device" mode in order to download files to the PC. If it was plugged in via USB, then turned on, it locked up with the welcome screen displayed, and would not turn off or respond until the battery was removed and replaced. I discovered that the only way to successfully connect was to turn the camera on first, then plug in the USB cable.

The camera also locked up once while recording with video stabilization turned on. Again, the only way to turn it off was to remove the battery.

Finally, I gave the camera to a friend, and before she even had a chance to try it out, it stopped working completely. It was functional when I gave it to her, and she insists it wasn't dropped or damaged. She returned it to me and I've confirmed that it no longer powers on at all. I've contacted the eBay seller for an RMA, and hopefully a replacement from the manufacturer.

My advice... Buy the Jazz Elite HDV-188.

Great Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 4:06 PM   #4

Thnks for the info.....i will take your advice........at least the part of not buying the T-200 :-)
kaminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:46 AM   #5

PIWI..... Welcome aboard

I hear ya... In the quote I am answering my thoughts

piwi pod wrote:
Quote:
i bought the Svp t-200
Quote:

1. i recorded a vid once, went to play it back and 10 seconds in the video cutted off each time. When you said playback , are you in thecam or on the pc, on the pc thedisk has codecs to load. will cut off vids like the jazz camera 178 model
Quote:

2. major problem: the monitor is not displaying correctly, all i can see is red and/or orange/yellow, sometimes the monitor doesn't work at all, and other times it works for a few minutes, although i did fix it and got it to work again for like..1-2 days before the problem came back. that to mesounds like a loose connection, like theribbon cable, if frayed or not locked on the tab. Or the sd card is not a major brand or liked in the cam. Cerain cards will cause issues. and well possable interference of battery. anything is possable. wecan also say senser as well.

3. when flipping the lcd screen around so it faces the direction the lens is facing the image on the camera doesn't flip around anymore!, anyone know how to fix it? the ribbon cable, like in question two, now it makes sense th ribbon cable is interferring. opening up the camera tearingit apart t ofix, if under andsaid it is refundable, your decision

4. battery life isn't really good. batt life how long 30 min 60, 90 certaincams will record up to 90 min the Aiptek Action 60, the A-HD 90 and yes in HD recording

5. camera froze a few times, only way to fix it was to remove the battery. Sd card issue, these are called reboots no reset button, all hybrids we do that on at times but rarely on some, there is one cam that was smart for a reset button LOL forget the brand

6. when connecting camera to usb port by a usb cable the camera randomly disconnects and connects again, which is very annoying, resulting in the folder closing and you having to open it again. the Min USB plug is loose this will happen to the best. on theAiptek MPVr the connection istight, and then like you said shuts down. a poor design if asked me pins do not lock always placed in/out at times they will break, now on the newer models they are improved to hold better possable issues plugs

7.i can't put any of my ownvideos from the computeron it, i tried many formats but the videos just don't show up. PM P player, is this HD, file format? with the cam you must use the software that came with the cam. if you are attempting HDAVC files to the cam it is super-hard. arc converter has a program with the cms that will allow this to place any type of Movie back to the cam. but if you record from the am, place to the PC, you can replace thesameFILE back in to play, do not change the file name for example FILE0001 must be FILE0001 it can be FILE4354 but cannot be dogshot CLIPten CLIP0001.
Quote:

8.the videos that the camera takes are unreadable to the ulead video studio and windows media playerwhen recording on certain resolutions. codec, fileformat andnewer video will have troubles in older players.

i wouldn't recommend buying this camera, do you think i am still able to return this camera to SVP?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:57 PM   #6

the site may have some glitchs.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1 web cam I am sure the manual

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"for example the Aiptek we go to setting scroll down to usb choose camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"for example the jazz we hit the playback when plugged

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"for example the mustek we hit the play button

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"so it may be just a simple button you're not hiting.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"as for the fix of a swival screen the camera must come apart. yessomething one can do.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 3:51 PM   #7

this is THE THINNEST hybrid i know of - the easiest to fit in your pocket!
can you show us some videos?

a lot of music events dont allow camcorders, but if you can fit it in a shirt pocket or pants pocket and its not super obvious... then thats awesome! i might get one of these if the video quality is decent.

SVP is notorious for making horrible products, though (and i've owned their stuff before, it uses a crazy container for the files and the audio is poor)

but, maybe they've changed!?!?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:00 PM   #8

i would appreciate your SVP T-200 video - i may get one because of its form factor, which is extremely important for my use
Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:16 PM   #9

FYI, Overstock.com has the SVP T-200 model for $129.99.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...8/product.html

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:54 AM   #10

Great Lakes wrote:
Quote:
I couldn't decide between the Jazz Elite 188 and the SVP T-200, so I ended up buying both on eBay for $85 and $115, respectively.

Pros:
The T-200 is much smaller than the Elite. I'm talking cell phone, drop it in your shirt pocket and forget it small.
I like the placement of the video and shutter buttons better vs the Elite.
Also, the screen can be opened and folded down flat for video playback. But that was it for pros over the Elite.

Cons:
The T-200 feels "sharp" in your hand as the edges are not as rounded and comfortable as the Elite.
The blue electronic "soft touch" buttons are too sensitive and too close together.
Battery life seemed much shorter than the Elite.
There's no LED on for video.
And I was annoyed by how the T-200 dumps video and still picture files onto the SD card together in the same folder, rather than separating them like the Elite.

In addition, there were quality and/or manufacturing issues with my T-200. The camera "locked up" on me several times. The first was when trying to connect to the camera in "mass storage device" mode in order to download files to the PC. If it was plugged in via USB, then turned on, it locked up with the welcome screen displayed, and would not turn off or respond until the battery was removed and replaced. I discovered that the only way to successfully connect was to turn the camera on first, then plug in the USB cable.

The camera also locked up once while recording with video stabilization turned on. Again, the only way to turn it off was to remove the battery.

Finally, I gave the camera to a friend, and before she even had a chance to try it out, it stopped working completely. It was functional when I gave it to her, and she insists it wasn't dropped or damaged. She returned it to me and I've confirmed that it no longer powers on at all. I've contacted the eBay seller for an RMA, and hopefully a replacement from the manufacturer.

My advice... Buy the Jazz Elite HDV-188.

To follow up on my original review...
After a month of run around via email with the eBay seller, I finally got an RA# and shipped my defective T-200 to SVP in California. Ten days later I received a package containing an obviously open-box T-200 and accessories. There was no paper work or explanation included. I have no way to tell if it's my original camera or a different one, but it clearly is not new. The cables were included, but also have obviously been opened and used. The battery was missing.

I have extra batteries, so I put one in and verified that the camera at least powered on. I plugged the camera in to charge over night. Once charged, I inserted an 8gb SD card and tested the camera briefly. While trying out the functionality, the camera "locked up" several times, both during video recording and video playback. It's interesting to note that the playback lock ups occurred each time at the exact same point in the test video. When the lock ups occur, the camera stays powered on, but is frozen and non-responsive. The only way to unlock the camera is to remove and reinstall the battery.

I tested the camera at 720p and VGA resolutions. The camera repeatedly locks up, regardless of resolution. Removing the battery of course loses all user settings including date/time.

My conclusion: The SVP T-200 hybrid camera is a useless piece of garbage.
Great Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote