Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:43 AM   #1

Well, this week I was asked by 3 people about how to take the aluminum lens cap off of the Action Hdsince they have had dirt or etc.... inside of the lens.

Your questions on how to do that will be answered.

First, you will need a small flat screwdriver or knife. Now start in the center, you will see a black alignment area at the bottom of the lens cap and above the clear led lights.Place the screwdriver under the lens cap and above the led lights in the center carefully pry the aluminum lens off. Don't worry it is only held on by adhesive tape that's all.

"NOTE: the cap is stuck on pretty good and may feel like it won't come off .But, it will. "

If you happen to tear the adhesive tape you can try to press the part that tore back on or remove it all and reapply adhesive to make it stick, which is what I did. "I used 3M's auto trim glue from walmart"

Well, here's the pictures of what it looks like.

I'mpretty sure you can buy another lens cap from Aiptek. I'm notcertain if it will void your warranty. So keep that in mind.

I take no responsibility if you ruin your camera. Take your time and be careful and you should be fine.

Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:18 AM   #2

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:35 AM   #3

Ok, just want to give a few pointers here. First off, for me anyhow, when I tried to pry the lens cap from the bottom, the ENTIRE housing of the lens came with it.. which mean that if I continued to force the entire thing from the bottom it WOULD have broken something. Luckily I noticed the screw on the top first. How did I get around this? I just pried the silver lens ring from the top where the screw was and that separated it from the black housing part which is screwed onto the body.

I was finally able to clean the lint away from the sensor, but get this, it was NOT ON the lens.. nor was it IN the lens.. but it was ON the CMOS sensor housing.. then I also opened up that by unscrewing the three screws securing the circuitboard that the CMOS sensor is embedded onto to the housing and there was what seemed to be something like paper dust inside combined into a significant amount. Now this was NOT yet currently visible in my video, but it could have become so. Please also not that this is a SEALED section, there is no way this dirt/dust/lint/wahtever, wandered into compartment AFTER the unit was assembled. If anyone else takes it apart you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

A few interesting things to note, the lens assembly is actually capable of MUCH closer zooming and MUCH closer MACRO than what the unit is programmed to do.. and probably geared to do also. I am currently uploading a video I took of it while I had it apart, yeah, I was holding the battery to the contacts by hand

On the circuit board that holds the CMOS sensor, it said:

59-434-03000-000
DZ0-Z53 sensor for micron
rev:d

Now the DZ0 could possibly be DZO-Z53, which I get results in Google for, but none for the former. Not sure exactly what this means. anyhow as soon as my video is finished on Vimeo I will post the link!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:52 AM   #4

http://www.vimeo.com/2340127

There is the video I took. Notice a couple of things... zooming without any motor sounds! !!!

Also look how much closer you can get with the macro! Really is a shame they limited it to 2 inches since the optics are capable of all the way up to the lens.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:56 AM   #5

One thing I will point out however, the aluminum cover on top is bent all to hell. In fact, it's almost snapped in two. I have some double sided tape that I will try to use to secure it down, it's bent and doesn't want to hold it's shape so you have it protruding and no longer flush with the camera. Also I need to do the same with the lens HOUSING.. it's bend up a bit so it doens't sit flush against the front of the camera anymore. Either double sided tape or a couple of small drops of crazy glue.. something that would be easy enough to break if I were wanting to reopen the camera. Oh and I also noticed a button/lithium battery inside.. probably to keep the date/time. It looked like it could be easily replaceable if needed. It was actaully pretty neat opening this thing up and from another mod I saw I rekon it wouldn't be too difficult to mod this thing with a better lens! A manual one without motor sounds and better and faster zooming and macro!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:45 AM   #6

The 2 i've taken apart has had a screw on the top and one under the clear led/flash cover holding the black housing to the camera.

To replace your piece of aluminum , go to a tinner aka. stove pipe shop. They have rollers that can roll that metal into shape very easy and many of those shops will have that aluminum in that gauge to make that for you. Really you can get that in brushed or polished finishes and even stainless,brass copper etc... the choice is yours.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:51 AM   #7

congrads.

Did you film the actual take apart, Iknow the answer is no. did you take Pics, I also know it is no, LOL

here is the gear from your camera, PGOMBERG....

yes the lithium battery is there for memory, sometimes they die andneedreplacement.

i wonder if the inspecter was a machine LOl

questions:

1. by hand you were zooming, do you think that themotor that is in the unit may be too fast , or to slow to keep up with the focusing.

2 the zoom, have you seen the camera react when it is hunting. unplugging the motor fully shuts down AF and zoom I believe is this correct?

if the zoom is locked we will not have focus or zoom, on newer versions called the GVS or newer name(z600), but with digital zoom,

it would be neat to stop the hunting but i understand there is not one focal pointto this cam , may be more tehn one lens inside

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:19 AM   #8

There are TWO lenses inside

I tried to take photos, but the digital camera I tried to use.. well.. sucked.. and btw, there IS a screw on the top after you take off the aluminum.

Now, to answer your Q's...:

I think that the focus is WAY too slow on this thing.

As you can see from the pics you posted from my video, the mylar cable is what controls the motors, which means BOTH the zoom and AF. There are TWO motors as you can tell from the pic you posted. One on the left and right. One controls the back lens, the other the front. Again, I find it interesting how the included lenses are actually capable of more than what the motors they are attached to allow them to do, such as better and faster zooming, and closer Macro.

One other point of interest.. there are two rods/shafts that the two lenses ride on.. these are both lubed VERY well.. so it is the actual MOTORS that make all the noise.. I thought that was kinda strange.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:23 AM   #9

Oh, and btw.. I just had ONE screw left over Not too bad for my first time :-)
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:08 PM   #10

Too bad you weren't able to get a video of the disassemble.

The aluminum lens cover is thinner than I expect it to be, I was hoping I could take it in to have it threaded so I can put different lens on the camera.

BoxerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote