Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:42 PM   #21

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
What many don't realize -- relative to this 1080/60p topic -- is that the very low-cost camcorders really don't have anywhere close to a 1920 x 1080 native pixel matrix.

The manufacturers have long relied on pixel shifting and other tricks to create the illusion.
Pixel shifting is mainly only 3 chip, virtually no pistol grip camera has three chips. You might be referring to the resolution loss illusion of Bayer that people argue about, but the fact is that pixels sample a part of the image, but the way to is done might lead to less accuracy and distortion. If you are referring to non pixel alignment, you have a case there, important to find a pixel for pixel basis, or at least 4 pixels for every screen pixels, as long as aliasing is handled properly, it should not be too bad.is not too bad.

@Content is king, but if I act in front of a camera with the lens cap on and microphone disconnected, then what use is it. Quality makes content look better.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 2:05 PM   #22

Looks like DXG is on the ball: http://www.dxgtech.com/product_jpg/DVHA80.jpg

I had the DXG-595V which I thought was definitely nice for the price, some minor flaws but things you can look past. I can only expect better things from this one. However not sure when it will be released in the states. Hopefully the same affordable prices DXG is known for. I can't imagine Aiptek being very far behind as well.

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
I've been lookin on here and google, but so far I can't find a one....
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:12 PM   #23

Bleh, no 1080p = no go :P
AND, no EIS @ 1080p (only @ 480p 60fps & 720p 60fps) = no go :P

You say your TV only supports 1080i? Well, think about the future. You're not going to have that TV forever! These videos will potentially be archived to be viewed by future generations! I'd hate to watch 1080i on 1080p displays, and seeing all the interlaced lines... Your computer will also have interlaced lines as well...
AkumaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:39 AM   #24

Well I hope you're right. My next HDTV depends on the state of the economy. For now will have to live with my 5 yr old, 150 lbs HD projection TV, which still does the job, but would be nice to have one that can actually hang on a wall.
AkumaX wrote: [/b]
Quote:

You say your TV only supports 1080i? Well, think about the future. You're not going to have that TV forever! These videos will potentially be archived to be viewed by future generations! I'd hate to watch 1080i on 1080p displays, and seeing all the interlaced lines... Your computer will also have interlaced lines as well...
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:44 AM   #25

Much better, but still 60 fields per second, no macro, f3.5, but now for data rates.

lets see this, or:

http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:26 AM   #26

Yes th Economy is rough, and as they are , and brought out a L.E.D. HDTV, that will be something to look into. I am interested in one Super thin.

but as time goes by you think they'll drop the pricing.

I can suggest a sledge hammer, and a table behind the wall. ((LOL))
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 6:07 PM   #27

HDfan23 wrote:
Quote:
Well I hope you're right. My next HDTV depends on the state of the economy. For now will have to live with my 5 yr old, 150 lbs HD projection TV, which still does the job, but would be nice to have one that can actually hang on a wall.
AkumaX wrote: [/b]
Quote:

You say your TV only supports 1080i?* Well, think about the future.* You're not going to have that TV forever!* These videos will potentially be archived to be viewed by future generations!* I'd hate to watch 1080i on 1080p displays, and seeing all the interlaced lines...* Your computer will also have interlaced lines as well...
You can actually get a better picture from a projection TV. The laservue is the current best, and I think somebody else is working towards a Laser TV, but I thought a number of companies were going to license the same technology as the Laservue uses. The price however reflects the quality, but I think $1000 is not out of reason for a TV like this (originally the process was to be something like $1700-$2000 but market penetration really gets killed at this price, the slim fanatics probably have not realised that they can't pick up the things and carry them around with them to use as an easel, so it does not matter that much it is a 30cm thick projection unit.

http://www.laservuetv.com/home.php
http://gizmodo.com/342045/mitsubishi...rls-on-the-set
http://laser-tv.org/

But you don't have to spend the money to get a lot of the quality. LED based rear projection TV's from Samsung offer a lot of the performance (around 130-170% from memory for led systems, from memory I don't think the old Samsungs go anywhere near 170%, and the actual viewing angle and performance can very from model to model, but I forget which models). The are also quiet cheap compared to other top end TV's, except the Kurio Plasma has come down in price, and Sony has picket up performance with their LED 200hz models, Panasonic is planning big things for plasma I hear as well (I think phosphor technology is not maxed out yet). There is also 130% color gamut back-light tubes that one or two Asus LCD monitors use (this is actually more than many LED back-light systems achieve believe or not, there is a TV manufacture with 122% color gamut LED TV) and you find LED LCD monitors with ratings like 106%, 116%. So the advantages of rear projection LED has shrunk somewhat at the price, but still has the color advantage.

Here is some of those newer TV technologies:

http://www.oled-display.net/ces-2009...-sed-tv-fed-tv
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:39 AM   #28

Nice to see DXG will be adding a remote control to that new, forthcoming HD model.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote