Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:07 PM   #1

I recently bought a Jazz Elite hdv188 and a SVP T-200 camera. I had planned to compare the two, then keep the one I liked best and sell or give away the other. I was leaning toward selling the T-200, but it ended up dying after recording only a few minutes of video.

I wasn't too disappointed since I preferred the quality and performance of the Jazz. But I've discovered the video output of the Jazz is not as user friendly. I'm new to video, but as I understand it, the Jazz encodes with H264 and 30fps. The few videos I got from the T-200 were encoded with XVID at 20fps.

Unfortunately, my PC (P4 3.06ghz with 2Gig RAM) does not handle the H264 video very well. I've tried VLC, Media Player with ffdshow, and MPC with CoreAVC. The 1280 videos skip and stutter, and even the 720 videos have audio sync issues.

In addition, the H264 videos crash my editors like Ulead Videostudio and Movie Maker, and they don't seem to work with Adobe Premiere.

I don't have these issues with the videos from the T-200.

Can anyone help? If my system can't handle the H264 videos, what's the best way to convert the to a format I can use?

TIA
Great Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:04 PM   #2

your computer is plenty fast to decode 1280x720p, even at 60fps
i'm on a mac with lower specs and can watch 30fps 1080p, so i'm not sure what the issue is

maybe try closing other applications
or, do some maintenance?
or get a mac
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:48 PM   #3

kiyoshi_music wrote:
Quote:
your computer is plenty fast to decode 1280x720p, even at 60fps
That's what I thought too. But it doesn't handle these files well at all. Even Windows Explorer chokes and runs the CPU to 100% when I open the folder where the files are stored.

It only happens with the videos from the Jazz HDV188.

As excited as I was to get the Jazz, it's turning out to be nearly unusable since I can't take the videos and do anything with them. I'm frustrated to the point of considering just giving up and getting rid of the camera.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:14 PM   #4

the jazz uses win 200 and up, with 800 mhz, the Aipteks 720 2.0, while the 1080 are combo of 2.0 and 3.0 and higher the Aiptek may get better all time play editing etc...........

But we're working with a older version, and different codecs if not Divx, I forget, so forgive me, and that is what makes this cam different.

VIdeo Playback:

WMP not good at times it is realy bad and sound isway off,ending before the vid orsound

total is smoother, never saying the best. just smoother.

so how does one watch their clips hmmmm either playback of cam on the tube, or others say VLC player etc......... I WMP do not care bout soundat times. or magix editing

Video:

WMM will work, and will fail, due to H264 codecs convertin and lowering will work if allowed.

magix will show stutter bigtime, but rendering will show smooth perfect clips. At given times with a screen recorder I did manage to have a off synch clip

thecd that came iwth the cam is pritty neat will convert, edit and render your shots may be too basic but will do.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:49 PM   #5

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com//G_GXQpEqrng[/flash]
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:16 PM   #6

GREAT LAKES,

Did you install the codec on the Jazz CD disc?

If you don't have that installed, then you'll run into all kinds of playback issues.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 2:10 AM   #7

Yes, I have the codec. The playback issue is intermittent, so I'm sure it's my PC. But I still have trouble editing. The trial version of Media Impression works so-so. To edit in VideoStudio or Movie Maker I use VirtualDubMod to recode the native files. It's time consuming, but it works.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 7:26 AM   #8

ideo studio as in Ulead video studio 8 basic se? probably a higher one.

As in total it isnot a trial, Arcsoft makes the program for Jazzcameras.com but limits us to render. leaving this a basicfull version no HD format settings.

Great Lakes wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I have the codec. The playback issue is intermittent, so I'm sure it's my PC. But I still have trouble editing. The trial version of Media Impression works so-so. To edit in VideoStudio or Movie Maker I use VirtualDubMod to recode the native files. It's time consuming, but it works.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 9:06 PM   #9

Great Lakes wrote:
Quote:
The H.264 .AVI file that comes off the JAZZ is peculiar (i.e. non-standard?) in that the very first frame in a clip MUST be kept intact and not cut off or the clip will not play and cannot be edited with most video editors. Also, when using VDub or WMM, for example,when you make a cut in the video, the following portion will not be decoded and show up as blank UNLESS you re-cue the timeline position indicator back to the start to pick up that first vital frame data. Then you can play or drag the timeline position indicator back to the cut portion and it will now play normally until you do another cut. Each edit you MUST restart the video from the first frame.

The work-around is to re-encode the native .avi file into a new container (can be another .avi file) and it will then edit normally without this annoying "feature" as you have found out.

OR, I found the commercial editorMagix Movie Edit Pro 14 (andthe PLUS version) will edit the NATIVE file normally without having to jump through these hoops. Bothare on sale RIGHT NOW on Amazon.com for $30 and $45, respectively. These are great video editors and a BEST BUY. See other threads in this forum about the software. After trying the free downloaded versions for the 30 day trial period, I just decided to buy the PLUS version while it's on sale.

<edit> I don't have the problems with the computer slowdown like you do with either my older PC running XP or my newer Vista machine. Also, I do not use the video codec from the JAZZ install CD. I use the latest "ffdshow-tryouts" codec package with no issues of any kind.

jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:33 PM   #10

Yes I soon found out myself that my favorite freeware virtualdub was next to useless with Jazz HDV178 files and so I use Magix myself.

I often just use a batch file conversion tool like Super to convert all my Jazz video clips to DVD format files and then burn them to a DVD for family viewing. The video from the Jazz makes for some pretty decent DVD viewing.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote