Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1

Hey guys, while I have recently purchased a Canon HF100 and really like it's performance- I was intrigued by the TG-1 and the promise of high quality video (as opposed to the less expensive cams.) I was drawn to the TG-1 because of it's diminutive size and prospect for digiscoping with it's small lens (the HF100 isn't well suited for digiscoping.)

While I do like the video the TG-1 produces I don't like the interlacing with moving objects. And while Final Cut Studio does import it's AVCHD footage via transcode to AIC or ProRes, the interlacing stays intact- which is undesirable for the most part.

My FCP workflow for using TG-1 footage is as follows:
Insert MS Pro Duo card into a MS reader and drop the entire card icon into Roxio's Toast 9 Titanium's "Convert" screen as tabbed on the top right side (looks like an Apple TV icon) and change the preset at the bottom to Quicktime, Apple ProRes which will rapidly encode the TG-1's footage into ProRes files. You can then edit natively using FCP or if you want to remove the interlacing do this:
Use JES DeInterlacer (Google it) and use these settings to get rid of the interlacing:
In the "Input" tab make sure Progressive (in) is DESELECTED! then change the "Block Match Threshold" setting to 303, also select "Remove Jaggies". Then go to the "Project" tab and select "Deinterlace" and select "Use Bottom Field" and make sure all three selections to the right are selected......then go to the "Output" tab and select the codec you want the files to end up as; I've found ProRes to keep quality as near identical to the original footage and you can alternatively output to 1080p or 720p HDV modes for easier editing on less powerful machines.

You'll end up with beautiful "interlace-FREE" footage from the TG-1- and a workflow that should work really well on a Mac running FCP!

(I've worked really hard at tweaking just about every setting with JES Deinterlacer and I've found the ones I've posted to do the best job of deinterlacing the files- if you guys discover anything else- post your findings!)
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2008, 1:46 AM   #2

any sample videos?
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:13 PM   #3

I only have Apple Final Cut Express 4 loaded on my mini. That means AIC for me. I'm curious to read your post. I'm wondering why you don't just use your Sanyo VPC-HD1000. That camera records progressive frame, right? So why the interlaced video from the Canon and the Sony?

You're right. I have the Sony HDR-UX1 and I don't care much for the interlace either.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:30 PM   #4

Private Idaho, I've since sold the HD1000 Sanyo and thus one of the reasons for the purchase of this Sony. I wanted a high quality video camera (which pretty much excludes all the hybrids on this forum) that had a small form factor and small front lens for possible digiscope use. The Sony TG-1 is pretty much recognized as the best there is, in that form factor and does indeed shoot beautiful video- however the interlacing is a BIG negative for me!
So basically I had to come up with a workflow that took the 60i fields and convert them to 30p frames- of which I've done.

Another workflow would be to convert the files into Apple ProRes and then use MpegStreamclip to convert to HDV720p or 1080p- either way you end up with progressive video. The little Sony is a winner but would be much better if it had a progressive mode- even 720P.
For now, this is the workflow I've come up with and I'm quite pleased with the results- which are far superior to the Aiptek's I have.........I'll purchase the new Aiptek GVS as soon as it becomes available as well as that small LED projector......more info to come later.

(If anyone cares I could always shoot with the Go-HD and TG-1 side by side and resize the Sony's footage to 720p and you can judge for yourself the differences between the cameras.)
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:55 PM   #5

I have an AVCHD Sony camcorder... the HDR-UX1. So I know what you mean by better quality. However, I have noticed that when one distributes video via...

1. Apple TV (960 x 540 @ 30 frames per second H.264)

...or...

2. via WMV HD 720p

...that the differences tend to be less noticeable.

I love the HDR-UX1 because it has an external microphone input. If I'm going to pay Sony prices, I want an external microphone input, which is something that -- SADLY -- the Sony HDR-TG1 does not have. Correct me if I'm wrong, Steve.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 5:06 PM   #6

Correct, the TG-1 does not feature a "Mic In" port- but for me this isn't an issue as I have more serious camcorders I'd use for applications that would require a "mic in" jack. I just wanted a high quality HD cam that would be small-lensed, extremely portable yet feature good image stabilization- hence the purchase.
I actually liked the Sanyo HD1000 quite a bit- but I didn't like it's low-light performance, non-working IS and color reproduction as well as it's propensity to blow-out highlights. The HD1010 seems to be the same- shame....for me the TG-1 is the portable to have.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 5:41 PM   #7

While the low-cost hybrids aren't great, I am amazed by how far they've come, Steve.

I bought the first JVC professional HDV model in 2004. You may remember it... the JVC JY-HD10:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/t...&feature_id=02

720p and no better, but it did have an external microphone input; I sold mine. :G
Old Nov 30, 2008, 6:01 PM   #8

I actually bought both the HD10U and HD1- loved their size hated their performance- but they were the 1st HDV 720p cams out.....I remember all the fuss about FCP not supporting HDV natively and having to offline proxy edit via Steve Mullen's technique for M2T files- what a hassle in the old days- now HDv is a breeze- both the cams and computers have come along waY!

In that respect the Aipteks are wonder cams! LOL